Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I saw it again yesterday, gees this ticks me off

i_have_too_many
April 13th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Now that Spring is here (ok on the calender but not outside) I am not looking forward to seeing this again. This is one of my pet peeves, loose dogs in a car. :frustrated:

I am constantly seeing this, and in the summer they have their heads out the window. The reason this gets to me is that it is REALLY dangerous, not only to the dog, but the person in the car. I was following a van home from the store yesterday and saw something bouncing around in the back, when I got closer I noticed it was a large dog, all over the place.

I heard once that a loose tissue box can cause serious damage when in an accident, so what about being hit in the back of the head by a 60lb lab??? And just think of what would happen to the dog? If it is lucky it may stay in the back seat, but there is a better chance of it flying out the windshield. Now for those people who think it is great to let your dog hang out the window, anyone who has rode a bike knows what it is like to get hit in the face by a bug, could you imagine getting hit by a stone while going 80, 90 or 100km/h, and the stone would be travelling in the opposite direction, ouch!

I love to take my dogs with me when I go somewhere, but they are always in a crate, at least that way I know they will not come flying at me if I am ever in an accident, and injure me or themselves. There are so many ways to fasten a dog; crate, car seat or seat belt.

Having a dog jumping from seat to seat is distracting too, and what if your small dog falls off your lap and lands on the gas pedal :eek: or your big dog covers your face and you miss the stop sign.

Ok, there I said it, I am sure that no one on this board does this since you are all very responsible pet owners, but please, if you see someone who does this, let them know how dangerous it is and if they really love their dog, they will hopefully stop. :fingerscr

technodoll
April 13th, 2007, 02:12 PM
i know the dangers, but my two dogs are still "loose" in our car... they have the back of vehicle to themselves. I can't fit two xlarge crates in there unless i buy a huge van, and i can't put seatbelts on them either. I hate the arrangement but see no other option :sad: and pray nothing will happen... :pray:

Thank goodness they always sit or lay down, they are not allowed to stand, and no heads out the windows... they are really quiet and travel well.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j129/technodoll/sleepy.jpg

Prin
April 13th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Hehe... :evil: My dogs are free in the car. I don't have much choice. :shrug: A crate won't fit ON my car, let alone IN my car.:D We tried the seatbelts, etc, but Boo nearly killed himself with them (literally). Jemma just sits in the car. She doesn't move much. If we seatbelted her, Boo would probably trample her to death. My doggies are a little distracting for the driver, but they also have their commands for the car. When I'm merging or passing, they have to be sitting in their little spots. But if Boo is forced to sit still too long, he gets rabid diarrhea, which isn't fun at all... :o

Dracko
April 13th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Dracko used to have free rein in my old car. This one is an SUV type so I have a thing up so he is confind to the back. I hate it, though. He does, too. I would much prefer him to be in the front seat beside me.

While there may be some dogs that bounce and jump all over, Dracko has never done that. And, there are times I have opened a window for him to stick his nose out but I do not open it so he can hang out of it.

breeze
April 13th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Bree is leashed in the back seat, in time i will gwet a setbelt for her, she can't jump into the front seat but can walk around right now even with the leash on. the back window is opened a little hence the dog slobberys on the window hehehehe but does not have her head out the window.... I am not use to a doggie liking the car !! this is all so new to me. :)

meb999
April 13th, 2007, 02:18 PM
I think it's easier to strap 'em in when you only have one....I always buckle Buster up, but he IS allowed to sniff out the window :o You should see his huge lips flappin' in the wind...it's quite a sight :eek:

Prin
April 13th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Oh, yeah, mine never stick their heads out the windows. I hate that. Boo sticks his head out the sunroof when we're driving at a crawl, but if I tap his leg, he knows it's time to come in. :D

mafiaprincess
April 13th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Cider has a seatbelt. I hate the harness though. She sits on the passenger seat, or lays on it. Never bounces around so it isn't really an issue.

Having Jack and her is an issue which is why he hasn't been back in my car since I brought him home. He wants to lay on my lap..

Prin
April 13th, 2007, 02:31 PM
hehe, funny story that's going to make i_have_too_many cringe:
We started hydroplaning really badly on the highway once and Jemma panicked and jumped in my lap.:D All of a sudden I was hydroplaning with a 60lb labby sitting on me. :D It was funny. Luckily, I'm the best driver there ever was, so it wasn't too dangerous. :laughing:

trippincherri
April 13th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Yes we let our doggies have free rein of the back of our vehicle, we even fold the back seat out flat so they usually just lay right down or chew on their toys or whatever.
Never had issues with them causing a distraction....they are pretty well behaved.
Shelby paces like crazy though when she knows we are close to the lake other then that she mostly sits and stares out the window, and Shamus sleeps.

Dog Dancer
April 13th, 2007, 02:54 PM
My girls have free run in the back seat also as I have a smallish car and could not possibly get two crates into it. And Shadow is claustrophobic and won't take the crate. She is very well car travelled though and is excellent at being braced at all times. She and Halo are very relaxed and sit nicely (unless a doggy walks by and Halo barks). Shadow alone in the car can put her head out but only on the slow roads, on fast streets the windows are only open a crack. I know they could go flying in a horrible accident, but if it's that bad all bets are off on all of us! God willing that will not happen.

jessi76
April 13th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I'm guilty too! Tucker is free in our vehicles. I plan to get one of those gates for the back later this year, now that I have a wagon. Before I only had a 4 door sedan, so he stayed in the back seat. My fiance has only had 2 seater trucks, so Tucker sits in the passenger seat (since obviously the back of the truck is out of the question!). Tucker sticks his head out the window, but only on slower roads, if on the highway, I keep them up enough so his head won't fit out.

Thankfully Tucker is extremely well behaved in the car. I do keep his leash attached to him though so I can grab him quickly if necessary.

TD - that's a great photo of the beanies in the car!

phoenix
April 13th, 2007, 02:59 PM
add another one to the bad owner list :laughing:

my dogs are free in the back of my car and my dad's car. They know to sit or lie down. Once I bought a seat belt for Sam... he chewed right through it during the trip (here I thought he was just being quiet). They don't bounce around or move too much... Maia sleeps and Sam watches out the windows. I am a little concerned about the flying through the windshield part, but there's no way I'm putting a crate in there... I might consider a partition at some point if I were to get a bigger SUV or van.

SableCollie
April 13th, 2007, 06:20 PM
I have a seatbelt for Sable but she hates it. She will cry the whole time if she is seatbelted in. So usually she is in the back of the station wagon (yeah, a station wagon) but we have one of those metal barriers that keeps her from flying through the front seat if there was an accident. I'm still terrified of someone rear ending us when she's in the back, and so I'm pretty anxious on car rides with her.

I should add that the animal control officer in my town has had to pick dead dogs off the road twice that had flown through the windshield when cars had to slam on their brakes. So yeah, seatbelt harness, crate, or barrier, or someday you might see your dog's body crashing through your windshield.

Dogastrophe
April 13th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Guilty. Lucy sits in the back seat and Jack in the front. I have yet to find a restraint that works well in our car. Neither pup is permitted to sit on the driver's lap or stick their heads out the window.

Prin
April 13th, 2007, 07:22 PM
I thought about getting one of these:
http://www.hammacher.com/publish/73901.asp?promo=hl_petproducts
But Boo stands and he'd probably rip it so quickly...

And then I saw this:
http://www.hammacher.com/publish/73772.asp?promo=hl_petproducts
And thought it might work too... But Boo would probably ram against it... :rolleyes:
(Sorry, I just looked at their catalogue and saw them and had to post them..)

SableCollie
April 13th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Mine looks like this one.
http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=5056&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=0&iSubCat=0&iSubSubCat=0&iProductID=5056&AS=1

Prin
April 13th, 2007, 08:48 PM
What's the V for? :o

AliSam
April 13th, 2007, 09:02 PM
I'm guilty too. Sam sits in the back of the SUV and moves around. When he is in my little car he sits in the back seat and doesn't move around.

x.l.r.8
April 13th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Both of mine are strapped in with harnesses, even in the little car. It also means I cn open a window without fear of them leaning out to far. The first trainer I came across made me do it, and I'm happy I got into the habbit.

SableCollie
April 13th, 2007, 10:04 PM
V is for victory! :D
Actually, I think it is for strength of the barrier.

Cookiesmom
April 13th, 2007, 10:23 PM
OK, I'm guilty too, but after reading these posts, I will try to find something that Cookie and Tasha are comfortable with. They are usually in the back seat of the van and are very quiet. They both travel well, and are never in the front. I did buy a harness, but neither of them liked it. I wouldn't have room for two crates, especially when travelling with family.

erykah1310
April 13th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Well needless to say im in a pickle!
I dont think there is a crate manufactured for Puppy to get in, let alone that would fit in my car.:eek: and as far as 4 crates in my car... never gonna happen.
I always knew there was a danger, but honestly, I dont worry about it much.
They are all really good in cars, even in the back of the truck ( I know I know, please dont start that lecture, its rare they're back there, and its only when we head to camp or out in the field.);)
I let them sniff out the window if they please as well... I guess I'm in the bad owner category as well.

Purpledomino
April 13th, 2007, 11:19 PM
We started hydroplaning really badly on the highway once and Jemma panicked and jumped in my lap.:D All of a sudden I was hydroplaning with a 60lb labby sitting on me. :D It was funny. Luckily, I'm the best driver there ever was, so it wasn't too dangerous. :laughing

Funny, cuz I thought I was the best driver there ever was. :offtopic:

Shamrock
April 14th, 2007, 04:52 PM
I had a small belted crate I was using for Percy, but as he's happier and more content leashed in the back, that's what I've been doing lately.
I have to keep him leashed, or he tries to "sneak" on to the front seat. (like a kid who knows you're distracted.:D )

Reading this prompts me to want to go back to the crate, think I'll give it another go. Definitely safer.:shrug:

LynLyn
April 14th, 2007, 05:04 PM
I'm guilty too, Bowser sits in the passenger's lap whenever I drive. He knows that he is NEVER NEVER NEVER allowed in the drivers seat of side at all, and he's never disobeyed that rule. But yes i will let him stick his head out of the window from time to time. I want to get him a seatbelt, but if he's not near a window, he cries and whines and barks, and is annoying in general.

TeriM
April 15th, 2007, 02:31 AM
My dogs wear seatbelts but they really are a pain in the butt when attached to the regular seatbelt units. I devised a new system with a cable that is anchored to the floor hooks behind the back seats. The cable then comes over the back seats (at around human chest height if we were sitting) and I anchor the seat belts to that. It enables them to slide along the back seat from one side to the other and to turn around but not to move forward.

angeldogs
April 15th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Jag is in the back of the van with the pet barrier up.in the pickup if he was in the box his harness was hooked up to a strap and could only get his nose past the side.with no kids he was inside.and i don't allow his head out the window.

Prin
April 15th, 2007, 02:06 PM
I have too many, are you coming back? Or are you http://bestsmileys.com/angry1/4.gif?

Or http://bestsmileys.com/frustrated/7.gif?

:D

Our poor doggies. :o :D

SARAH
April 15th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Our two have seat belts on when we drive with the top down, otherwise they are lose in the back seat. They are quiet in the car though (I'll try to have Lewis post a couple of pics from this weekend, he took some really cute ones). The only problem with the seat belt, is that Sheba sometimes tramples on the release button and Dani finds herself free, but I normally keep an eye on that while Lew drives, and they are ok.

coppperbelle
April 15th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I thought about getting one of these:
http://www.hammacher.com/publish/73901.asp?promo=hl_petproducts
But Boo stands and he'd probably rip it so quickly...

And then I saw this:
http://www.hammacher.com/publish/73772.asp?promo=hl_petproducts
And thought it might work too... But Boo would probably ram against it... :rolleyes:
(Sorry, I just looked at their catalogue and saw them and had to post them..)

They sell a vinyl version at Mondou. I bought it for $24.99 for my husband's truck. It isn't the greatest material, kind of cracked in one area in the cold but it keeps the seats clean. Our dogs love to get wet and coming home from the cottage on Sunday they would always be soaking wet.
Both dogs have harnesses with a strap that attaches itself into the seatbelt contraption. They don't mind wearing their harnesses at all. In fact when I pull them out they go nuts.
In my SUV I have a barrier and both dogs go in the back.
Years ago a friend of mine once got a ticket from a OPP while travelling through ONtario. Her dog was sitting betweeen the two front seats of the van and the police drove by them and pulled them over. I remember her recounting what the police officer told her. He said if she had an accident and/or stopped quickly the dog could catapult forward and if it hit her it could break her neck. So basically if the accident doesn't kill you, your own dog could.

i_have_too_many
April 15th, 2007, 10:21 PM
I have too many, are you coming back? Or are you http://bestsmileys.com/angry1/4.gif?

Or http://bestsmileys.com/frustrated/7.gif?

:D

Our poor doggies. :o :D

Ok, maybe a little of all 3 :p , but I think some of you may have gained a new insight to this potential problem. I didnt mean to call anyone a bad owner, this is just one of my pet (he he) peeves, and the fact that injuries can be easily avoided. I did really mean to come back sooner, but I was away Saturday, did a party last night (remember I do home parties) and today I had a meeting, so this is the first time I had a chance to check the replies.

I am happy to hear that some are belting the dogs in or crating them, if they are behaved then there is little distraction, it is when they are jumping around all over the place that it is really dangerous.

brandynva
April 16th, 2007, 08:00 AM
We have a barrier in the back of the SUV, but nothing in my car. Roscoe lays in the backseat really well and doesn't even attempt to come up front or stick his head out the window. (I'm paranoid about my dog trying to jump out while moving, or stopped at a light, so I don't put the window down much anyway.) Mileva doesn't ride in my car. She's too neurotic. :D

But seriously, we were in a bad accident last year in our minivan. We had a barrier and put the dogs in the back behind the barrier. We T-boned somebody going 55 MPH, both airbags deployed. Noone was seriously injured as we were all seatbelted in. If it weren't for that my kids and I would've been through the windshield. The dogs only suffered very minor injuries due to the barrier. I think if they had've been loose in the car it could've been much much worse.

Prin
April 16th, 2007, 02:02 PM
:grouphug: :grouphug: I'm glad you're ok. :o

brandynva
April 16th, 2007, 03:51 PM
:grouphug: :grouphug: I'm glad you're ok. :o

Thanks! :o It was extremely scary. The guy pulled out in front of us at the very last minute. There was nothing we could do. Fortunately neither he, nor any of us were majorly injured. I sustained most of the bruising as the impact occured mostly on that side of the vehicle. The kids were petrified but uninjured. However, I cannot ride comfortably in a car anymore. Especially at intersections where people are pulling out. I get real freakish. :shrug:

Shamrock
April 16th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Well, I belted one of my crates back into my car over the weekend.
I first put in a small metal one, as it offers better visibility and ventilation.
This works good.. providing no accident ever actually did occur.

Switched it over for a plastic carrier,after realizing that in a collsion, my tiny dog would be thrown with great force into metal. And if the seatbelt failed to hold the crate itself..a very deadly weapon.:eek:

The plastic carrier works fine for short trips to vet, etc..but for longer journeys.. decided I will check out the new products specifically designed maximum safety and comfort. I'm going to the pet supply store today, will have a look at the latest in doggie travel items.

Here's a very sobering link on this topic:sad:
http://www.merrynjose.com/artman/publish/article_583.shtml

i_have_too_many
April 17th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Great link

I am glad that someone did a study about this. :)

x.l.r.8
April 17th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Riley ready for the off (if only he know he was going to have a cyst removed on his foot)
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2/tx541202/Riley/rileycar.jpg
And Missy looking worried that Mum's driving the van again:laughing:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2/tx541202/Riley/missycar.jpg
Clunk Click every trip ;)

Prin
April 18th, 2007, 01:37 AM
I wish I could clip Boo in... especially after reading that article...

I wonder though, what the odds of survival are for the dogs wearing seatbelts. The ones I've seen seem to be meant to keep the dog from hitting the humans or flying somewhere, but within the seatbelt itself, what happens to the dog?

TeriM
April 18th, 2007, 01:42 AM
I'd say the odds are better than without a seatbelt. I really worry about them getting loose in an accident. A lot of dogs in accidents also get scared and go into major protection mode as well which prevents the responders from helping injured parties.

LynLyn
April 18th, 2007, 06:44 PM
okay IHTM, you'll be proud of me! :) Today i went out and bought Bowser a Harness and a seat belt clip!! yup i imagine it must be pretty safe if we get in an accident cause the harness acts like a 5 point seat belt. AND! i took pics!

LynLyn
April 18th, 2007, 06:46 PM
and one more.

also, the seat belt clip is adjustable so I get to still open the window and there is just enough length that he can still stick his nose out the window and bark at passing trees:laughing:

i_have_too_many
April 19th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Yah 3 cheers for LynLyn :highfive: and everyone else who is now belting in their beloved.

just a question LynLyn, if your dogs barks at passing trees, what ever does he do if you go through a bush?:laughing: