Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Doggie Daycare

Cookiesmom
April 13th, 2007, 12:17 PM
We are considering using a doggie daycare for the 1st time for our 2 dogs and am trying to find information on a "good" doggie daycare in the Grimsby, Ontario area. We will only be using them for 1 day (not overnight). Any recommendations or suggestions?

Kritter_person
April 13th, 2007, 01:00 PM
I had luck finding my doggie daycare provider at this site http://www.acpsn.com/main.htm , you click on find a professional
There should be some listings in the area you are looking for. Good luck!
I'm happy with my provider they are insured and Bonded ,trained in first aid and cpr for animal.

SableCollie
April 13th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Always check out a doggy daycare before bringing your dog there. Observe the staff and dogs in action, and ask a few questions. These are things to consider.

Make sure there is a good staff to dog ratio. One staff member for every 10-15 dogs is good. It is a good idea for large and small dogs to have separate playing areas, as large dogs can inadvertently injure small dogs. There should always be staff members supervising the dogs, they should never be left unattended. Outdoor areas should have secure fencing and be free of debris and feces. The daycare should look and smell clean (obviously, there may be a few muddy pawprints and some dog hair, but if there is a foul smell, or piles of feces, then cross that facility off your list.) Are dogs allowed toys? This is a personal preference of facilities, some don't allow toys because they can trigger fights. How often do the dogs have access to water? How often are they taken out to relieve themselves? Is there a screening process for dogs to make sure they get along with other dogs? Are dogs required to be vaccinated and determined healthy and parasite-free by a vet before joining the facility? Are any of the staff members trained in canine CPR/first aid? Are there plans in place to break up dog fights? What would they do if a dog needed emergency vet care? Can they provide recommendations from customers?

Good Luck, I have seen some great dog daycares, and some poor ones. I hope you find a great one in your area!

mafiaprincess
April 13th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Most places require proof of vaccs and a visit to prove your dog will play nicely with animals for x amount of time before you bring them..

Do you have time to go up there and do that before your visit when you need daycare?

Cookiesmom
April 13th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Thanks for all your helpful advice. Since we will be unable to visit any facilities in the area before our trip, I am reconsidering using a daycare for our dogs. I am hoping I can find someone (ie: neighbour) just to come in and let them out and play with them for a short time. We are only going for the day. However, I will definitely use your suggestions SableCollie. I am in the process of looking for a kennel to board our Cookie, (also a sable collie, I will try and upload her picture on my avatar one day soon!) when we go on holiday this summer for a week, and I know there are good kennels and bad ones out there, but I will use your criteria when checking them out.

SableCollie
April 13th, 2007, 06:01 PM
I'm glad I could help, I hope you find someone to watch her so you can go on your trip. Shouldn't be hard to find someone willing, everyone loves collies! :D

Hooray for collies! Aren't they the best? :cloud9:

SnowDancer
April 13th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Perhaps you could ask for vet for recommendations. As far as the one day goes, I would rather leave my dog at my vet's clinic than at home - my neighbours aren't that friendly - and even if they were, my dog doesn't run loose - one of the few in the neighbourhood.

BusterBoo
April 13th, 2007, 07:50 PM
I had luck finding my doggie daycare provider at this site http://www.acpsn.com/main.htm , you click on find a professional
There should be some listings in the area you are looking for. Good luck!
I'm happy with my provider they are insured and Bonded ,trained in first aid and cpr for animal.

Thanks for posting that link! I have been looking for a doggie daycare for a while and I was able to find one that is approx .5 km from my work! I will try and make an appt with them next week to see what they offer!!! :)

Kritter_person
April 13th, 2007, 08:01 PM
another good one is http://www.petsit.com/home.asp
again just click on the button at the top locate a pet sitter
From the looks of it, they need to meet certain requirments as well.

If you are just looking for a dog walker, this one is good They have high standards to meet. http://prodogwalker.com/