Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi! I'm new to this!

divingpta
April 13th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Hi, guys. Please be patient with me, I'm new to this posting stuff. I'm married and have 7 kids (3 have 4 legs). I'm going through some stuff with one of my kids and would like some input.:crazy:

breeze
April 13th, 2007, 10:44 AM
hello, and welcome to pets.ca... hope we can be of help

lots of kids..... the three that have 4 legs are what kind of breed??
and the other kids?? boys,girls??

if you have any pictures you want to share we would love to see them :D

rainbow
April 17th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Welcome to the forum. We'd love to see pics of your crew. :)

happycats
April 17th, 2007, 06:11 AM
WELCOME!!
Is it the 4 legged or 2 legged that your going through stuff with?

divingpta
April 18th, 2007, 08:18 PM
I have 2 boys (12 and 4) and 2 girls (9 and 6), then I have a black and tan 3 y/o dacsie male (Scooter). One foot only has two toes. I have a red mini 2 y/o dacsie female (Chloe) with a severe overbite. And finally, I have a 170 pound fawn colored 3 y/o English Mastiff (George) whom has a supposed torn ACL; hence, my problem. Let's just start with the fact that I am a human physical therapist assistant. The vet stated that George had a complete tear in right ACL, and George exhibited all of the signs associated with this diagnosis. The only people in the state of Oklahoma who is willing to do the surgery is Oklahoma State University Veterinary teaching hospital and they can't get us in until the 26th. I have had him on pain meds until Monday. His gait has improved to better than when we got him (December). He is bearing weight bilaterally and bending his knee within normal functional range. I stopped giving him his pain meds to get a better clinical picture of actual injury. Is it possible that the vet was wrong or can George appear to "get better" but still have a complete tear? The surgery is $3000 and it's hard to swallow when I have 2 kids who need braces and I owe the IRS $2800.

hazelrunpack
April 19th, 2007, 09:39 AM
I don't think a complete tear will heal on its own--but we had a dog with a partial tear that did improve with rest and supplements. Sounds like maybe a second opinion is in order. Have you been seen at the teaching hospital yet? They should be a reliable 'second opinion' and if there's some other course of action, they should be able to recommend it. Since you're going their anyway, maybe you should call them and talk to them about it?

Welcome to the forum, by the way. :D Sorry it's under such stressful circumstances...

TeriM
April 20th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Welcome to the forum. I agree with Hazel's advice. Good luck with George, hopefully he won't need the surgery :fingerscr .