Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do you make it stop?

Slams_58
April 13th, 2007, 09:24 AM
I had to put my dog down yesterday. She was my girl for 11.5 yrs. She started to get really sick 3 days ago and yesterday I was faced with the desicion to stop her hurting before her liver totally shut down. This was the most awful thing I have had to live thru. I can't quit crying. I can't even function today. My kids are lost. My other pup can't figure it out and just mopes. This dog left a huge hole in my life. I can't even begin to explain what kind of dog she was. She was human like in so many qualities. I have never in my life known another dog that had her qualities. She could talk with her facial expressions. She could tell me she loved me with her "woo's" that seriously sounded like she said "I Love You". I hope I have that on video somewhere.

Oh my God, I hope I made the right choice. The vet said there was no hope... but who knows for sure.

When does it stop hurting so much? I feel like such a baby, but I honestly can't imagine my life without my dog.

R.I.P Chinook

breeze
April 13th, 2007, 09:34 AM
The hurting will go away but you have to give it time. you lost a very persouis part of your family you must give yourself and other time to grieve.
you did the right thing do not second guess yourself you know in your heart you did. you are hurting right now so you will have doubts. people on the board have been throught what you are going throught and we all understand, in time the hurting will ease up I promise.
take it one day at a time :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

jessi76
April 13th, 2007, 10:44 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss.

they say "time heals all wounds" and although it does get better, I still feel the pain of every pet I've lost. not as intense, but it's still there, and I think it will be forever.

Please don't second guess your decision. I'm sure you made the right choice.

give yourself time, and know that we're here to listen and lend support.

happycats
April 13th, 2007, 10:50 AM
My heart goes out to you, I know how painfull it is, but be comforted by the fact that you gave her a loving happy life.
Chinook is beautiful.

:rip: sweet Chinook

Hunter's_owner
April 13th, 2007, 10:54 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. It is such a difficult decision to make. I know what you are going through, and it isn't easy, but sometimes the hard thing to do is the right thing to do:sad:
:grouphug:
:rip: Chinook:candle:

Frenchy
April 13th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Chinook was beautiful. I am so sorry for your loss. Please don't question yourself, you just ended her suffering. You have enough to deal with the pain of loosing her. I understand how hard it is (as many other people here) and yes, your heart will need time to heal. :sad: :grouphug:

Furbaby Momma
April 13th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Slams_58 I am truly sorry for your loss, Chinook is beautiful and you will carry her in your heart of memories.

Take Care of Yourself during this painful time. :grouphug:

BusterBoo
April 13th, 2007, 12:31 PM
:sorry: I know you are now feeling like you will never stop crying, but day by day it does get a little easier. You have to allow yourself to grieve, you have lost a member of your family. You gave Chinook the greatest gift you could, to stop the pain and suffering she was going through.

She is now your guardian angel....watching over you and your family, waiting for the day you will be together again. Soon you will be able to smile when you think of the times you spent with her.....

:rip: Run free sweet Chinook, you are a healthy, happy puppy again! :pray:

technodoll
April 13th, 2007, 12:48 PM
:grouphug: you need time to grieve, don't fight it - tears are cleansing and it will take some time before you can remember her in your heart with a smile instead of sadness. i too lost my girl to liver death (hepatitis) but she was only 2.5 years old; i still miss her 12 years later. she was my soulmate and best friend. Chinook had a long beautiful life with you and the best thing you can do is honor her memory, she knows you ended her suffering and loves you from her side of the bridge. Love is... being kind enough to let go, sometimes. :grouphug:

Purpledomino
April 13th, 2007, 01:04 PM
So very sorry for your loss. Your Chinook was a very beautiful dog. She was so lucky to have a mom that recognized a hopeless situation, and cared enough to make her end a peaceful and painless one. Have comfort that you did the best you could for her in life and in passing.

I lost my Chow (Bear) a year ago to a gastric tortion (bloat). He died right in front of me in terrible pain, before I could put him in my truck to the emergency vet. I so wish that I could have made his passing easier as he so deserved. That is truly a last gift.

You will feel pain, but be assured it will lessen with time. I cry too when memories come, but not as much. Guilt is there too. Many members here have gone through this, probably more than a few times and it is always hard. You will get nothing but support from them. There are also pet-loss groups that you may check out, you can ask your veterinarian if you are interested in that.

Big hugs to you and your family. :candle:

SableCollie
April 13th, 2007, 01:21 PM
It is so hard to make that decision to help a pet to pass on, but now she is no longer suffering....sometimes it is good to just cry your heart out, and yes it does take time for the intense grief to pass.

In time you will be able to look back on all the memories of her life with happiness for the good times you spent together.

She was a very beautiful dog. :rip:

Prin
April 13th, 2007, 02:56 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. :grouphug: :grouphug: :sad: :sad:

Kutzy
April 13th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved Chinook. It takes time for the heartache to go away, but it eventually does. You helped Chinook to have a peaceful death rather than a prolonged painful one. I have had to put several pets down over the years and I know how hard it is; it breaks my heart every time. One day the many happy memories of the years you spent together will replace the sadness that you are feeling now.

mummummum
April 13th, 2007, 07:37 PM
When our animals die, the intensity of our heartache is a reflection of the depth of our love for them. Our sorrow seems at times to be overwhelmingly, unrelenting ~ as if it will never end. In the first stages we believe we have lost everything of them and everything of our love for them when they die. Over time, the shock to our souls and the emptiness in our lives eases. It is then that we are able to welcome them back into our hearts as a series of cherished memories of a life and love shared.

It will come, be gentle with your self.

Dobb
April 14th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss,,as was said, time does help heal the pain, seems to turn the pain into good memories . We had to put our shih zu down a yr and half ago..just like you we cryed for days. The vet gave us the poem "Rainbow Bridge",, it really helped alot.
Dobb

Ravenheart
April 14th, 2007, 05:26 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss.She was beautiful.

clm
April 14th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Had to put our dog down on February 21st, liver tumor, all of a sudden he got ill, no hope and indeed it was horrible. It hurts like nothing else, and it does get better, but I still cry even when I remember back to having our first dog put down over 11 years ago :sad:
They're a huge part of your family and take up a big space in your heart, but you'll soon look back with a happy heart on all the happy memories with your dog and the pain will subside.
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Cindy

Slams_58
April 16th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Thank you for the advice and kind words. It is getting better. My friends and family made it alot easier. She was such a great dog that even people who have only known her for the 17 months we've lived here.... cried when they heard. Chinook touched alot of people.

Now wish me luck.... I have a job interview at the Vet Hospital to be a receptionist. I'm gearing towards eventually having a career in Animal Health and think this is a good start. I had planned this way before Chinnok's passing. This may be a great way to get my foot in the door and spend all my days with animals in some way or another.

breeze
April 16th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Best of luck on the job, I hope you get it...... :fingerscr :fingerscr

I am very happy that you are able to cope a little better with her passing, remember it has to do with lots of suport and understanding :grouphug: :goodvibes:

RolandsMom
April 16th, 2007, 03:27 PM
:grouphug: :grouphug: I am so sorry for your loss.
let yourself grieve. it is a healthy process that helps us heal.
:rip: Chinook