Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chihuahua paper training

bbwvixen
April 12th, 2007, 11:01 PM
When the *babies* where nine weeks old, I ended up fostering two sweet Chi's. At the time they were about 90% paper trained and the first few weeks there were lots of accidents. I put it off to a new home, road trip, being away from both their canine mom and dad and their human's ones too.

Anyways we kept the smallest one and she's become a part of our family along with our two cats and our Shih Tzu.

We have the puppy pads set out, and after waking up, the first thing we do is put her on it and tell her paper! Half the time she gets excited and thinks we mean crawl all over our arms and play with us. She'll then wander off the pad, and piddle! :eek:

We don't believe in crate training or isolating the puppy, and they (all the animals) sleep with us lol makes for a crowded bed!:rolleyes:

If we see her sniffing around, we immediatly put her on the paper, or command her to go to the paper but it's a real hit and miss!

I've heard suggestions about watching their food and water, but we have bowls of food that are always full for the cats and dogs, and a water bottle for them.

Any suggestions?

Purpledomino
April 13th, 2007, 01:40 PM
How old is your puppy now? If she is still quite young as I presume she is, you are in for the long haul with this especially if you don't set out clear guidelines such as crate training right from the start. Crate training is far from cruel, I believe that it is in your puppies best interest for many reasons to crate train her. I am not a believer in paper/pee-pad training, I think it is less confusing if you just choose an outside spot for the potty area right from the start. Even if you just have a small outside area, or a balcony, even the smallest dogs are quite capable of doing their business out of doors..and yes, in most weather. (mine does)

IMO, if you confine your puppy to a crate when unsupervised, keep close supervision when inside, and make many, MANY trips outside (or to the pee-pads) with MUCH praise on successes, (ignoring the mistakes) it will come with time. If you can lessen any chance of potty errors (there will be lots), as much as you can, your baby will get it eventually. She is still VERY young for any consistency, but she will get used to your plan and figure it out as she grows.

Another thing to consider, it may be a wiser consideration to not be free feeding your pup. In this way, it is easier to know her cues to go out, which will be following eating, playing, sleeping etc. (almost all activities actually...lol) Toy dogs are also notorious for being "sneaky" about housetraining, as its so easy for them to hide little surprises around. :eek:

Honestly, if you want faster results.....please reconsider crate training, not free feeding, and possibly taking her outdoors. You can choose not to of course, but you will have a much harder time with house training IMO. Good luck to you! :fingerscr