Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

hello from a frustrated pug owner

zac495
April 12th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Hello.
I am a cat person.:cat: (I know boo). Anyway, we got a dog because my 16 year old wanted one. He's very cute - Bob. Well, she's moving out (college). He's now 2 and still not housebroken. He goes almost every day in the house. Yes, we take him out, but it's a huge problem.

I never wanted a dog. My husband loves him (I like him - love the cats) , but he travels all the time. My 11 and 9 year old kids know they have to take over if we are going to keep him. right now that consists of constantly cleaning up his poop - plus taking him out.

Please help. I want them to be able to keep Bob.
Thank you.
Ellen

Frenchy
April 12th, 2007, 08:11 PM
My 11 and 9 year old kids know they have to take over if we are going to keep him.

First of all, it is not ok to expect kids that age to take care of a dog. You got this dog for your daugher, you're the adult , he is your responsability. What have you tried yet to housebreak him ? The easier thing to do is to take him out often, and praise him A LOT when he does his business outside. If he does in the house, you have about 10-20 seconds after the fact to tell him no and take him outside (tell him , never yell) after that , it is too late, he won't know what you're talking about :p Give him treats when he does it outside if you have too. Good luck ! :fingerscr

Prin
April 12th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Pee pads might help get things started though. They've got pheromones on them to help guide the doggy to them for peeing.

Purpledomino
April 13th, 2007, 03:33 PM
"If" you are going to keep him? Please tell me that you aren't considering abandoning your dog because your daughter who wanted it in the first place is leaving for college. Surely, you knew that someday she would be moving out, and if you do the math, dogs such as pugs can life 15 or so years. Not many young adults leaving home are able to take their childhood pets with them, to college or otherwise.
Trying here not to sound unkind, however I agree with Frenchy in that it is your responsibility to this animal. Your children are most likely very attached at this point to Bob, but as an adult who took on this from the beginning, your obligation is to it's care, not the children.
My teenaged daughter pulled the same thing with us. She begged and pleaded for a small dog, even though we already had two large breed dogs. We caved, as it is easy to do. I did realize from the get-go though, was that even though this little angel was 'technically' hers, "I" was realistically the true guardian of this animal. Financially, as well as doing all the "dirty" work such as housetraining, obedience, feeding, etc. etc. Don't get me wrong, I love this girl to death, and would do it again in a heartbeat, but the difference is, that I understood this from the beginning. I remember all the animals as a child that I left with my mother....lol.
Please consider trying housetraining Bob aggressively. Read some good books on it, or enlist some help here. It can be done with some firm consistent work. He is only two, so there is much hope for him, but you might have to do a little work. He is worth it for you and your family. :pawprint:

Ford Girl
April 13th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Training will take you a while, but it certainly can be done! A few weeks of effort on your part will pay off, you have to be consistant, it won't take Bob long to figure out what you want, especially if you are clear with your expectations and you reward his efforts. It's your job to teach him right from wrong, dogs learn quick. He won't disapoint you!!! We started with a pup, but we took her outside 20mins after each drink/meal, and treated her for each time she went outside, then we started saying the words "go pee" while she was peeing, (now she pees on command, altho sometimes she fakes it for a treat) We also pull her water at 9:00pm every night, she is created when we can supervise her, she sleeps in a crate at night as well.

When they make a mistake inside, you can only correct them if you catch them in the act, you have about a 3 second window here, if you get upset afterwards, they just think you are upset at them in general. When we caught our pup in the act, we raised our voices while saying NO and clapped our hands, took her straight outside, where she usually finished, then treat outside, if she didn't finish outside, no treat. If your dog is not a barker, you can install a tiny bell at the door for them to ring, a good book that I have read is Dog Training for Dummies, it starts with the basics.

If none of this works for you I would talk to a trainer, they are very helpful. Basically you will have to put some effort in to it, but it will be worth it in the end.

SableCollie
April 13th, 2007, 06:02 PM
You're going to have to treat Bob like he is a puppy and you are just starting housebreaking. Take him out every couple of hours to the same spot in the yard, and when he goes, big praise and a treat. When he is inside, he should be in the same room with you (with you or another family member supervising him) or in a crate. He has not earned full house privileges yet. Pugs are smart and they are very food motivated, and your kids can certainly help with this, but ultimately the dog is the grown-ups' responsibility. If your husband loves Bob, he should help you whenever he is home. Take the dog out about 10-15 minutes after he eats, after he wakes up, and after any playing sessions, as these are times when most dogs have to "go".

"Bob" is a cute name for a pug!

Moxigirl
April 13th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Have you tried crating him. It worked really well for my girl. Everytime you leave the house you put him in his crate. When you get home, let him out. When he goes to the bathroom, praise him! Moxi was house broken in a matter of weeks.:thumbs up