Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy Potty Training

Shih Tzu Puppy
April 12th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Hi All, We added a new addition to our family last weekend - a 2 month old purebred male Shih Tzu. Up till now, he has been sleeping in a spare bedroom in a cage. During the day, he is mostly in the kitchen with me (I work from home and set-up an office in my enclosed kitchen) - we do take paly breaks throughout the day. At night, he is in the enclosed living room. We are training him to go to the bathroom outside and are looking for any advice/help. Every night he has deficated (no pee) in his cage during the night. He does have accidents in the living room but in the kitchen he does not. We have a little corner of the kitchen set aside for him with blankets where he sleeps most of the work day. Should we make the kitchen his new bed?

mafiaprincess
April 12th, 2007, 05:15 PM
He's two months old. You need to get up in the night and take him out. You have a baby who can't hold it and shouldn't be expected to hold it all night. At this age that dog is barely aware of the I have to potty signals.

Shih Tzu Puppy
April 12th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I realize potty training is not an overnight process. I guess my question is should we continue to crate train him by having him sleep in a crate or have him sleep in the enclosed kitchen on a doggy bed?

LavenderRott
April 12th, 2007, 06:15 PM
I realize potty training is not an overnight process. I guess my question is should we continue to crate train him by having him sleep in a crate or have him sleep in the enclosed kitchen on a doggy bed?

Continue to crate him. At some point in his life, being crate trained could save his life.

Shih Tzu Puppy
April 12th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Will having him only sleep in the crate and then keeping him in the enclosed kitchen and living rooms during the day have any negative effects on potty training him? Also, should we replace the dog bed in the kitchen (where he sleeps during the day) with the crate?

Shih Tzu Puppy
April 13th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Besides the questions right above, two last questions :)

If we put him to bed at 10pm and wake him up at 6am and he goes outside at those two times, how many times during the night should we take him out?

Lastly, is it normal for a pup to sleep most of the day? He does whine for periods throughtout the night and play for short periods (30-45mins) throughtout the day, but the rest of the time he spends sleeping.

Thanks again.