Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

weak back end

sidneyb
April 12th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Hello, I'm an animal lover too, have 3 dogs, 2 cats, 5 horses, and a cockatiel living with me. I'm new to the site but thought I'd put a question out there before taking my dog into my "conventional" vet. My nearly one year old male chocolate lab mix (he was a stray, is shorter than my other chocolate, has a longer body and tail) seems to be getting shakier with his hind quarters. He's usually slow to get up and go out in the a.m., and just seems weak in either his back legs or his hips, I'm not sure which. The ticks just came out and he was like this prior to deer tick season so I'm guessing it's not Lymes. I'm wondering if there's any homeopathic remedy for weak joints? He does run around during the day and seems happy enough playing with my other two dogs. They know he is easy to "take down" tho' and he'd rather sit or lie down than stand. I recall reading about glucosamine and chondrotine, but does anyone know of anything else I could try to help him out? Thanks very much!:dog:

Prin
April 12th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Has he been to a vet lately?

kaykay
April 12th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Hi, I'm new here. But I have a black lab that is almost 12. Just this year he's started having problems with his joints. I'm giving him glucosamine everyday and on really bad days when he's been playing alot or out running I'll give him an asprin it really seems to help. Just wondering, how do you get a picture on here???

Prin
April 12th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Um... You should ask that in another thread so sidneyb's thread isn't hijacked...:o

rainbow
April 17th, 2007, 02:08 AM
Welcome to the forum. We'd love to see pics of your crew. :)

I really think you should take your lab to the vet. He isn't even one year old yet and should be checked asap. I have a young lab that just had surgery for a torn cruciate ligament. Good luck and please let us know the outcome. :fingerscr

happycats
April 17th, 2007, 06:09 AM
WELCOME to the board!
And I hope your lab gets better soon.