-->

poop in the green bin

wdawson
April 11th, 2007, 10:04 PM
:eek: http://www.torontosun.com/News/TorontoAndGTA/2007/04/11/3981323-sun.html

mummummum
April 11th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Generally Paula is fairly sensible... :rolleyes:

But, if you look at the % breakdown of pet waste and other organic waste in regular bins and the recycling bins...it's a no-brainer isn't it ? A huge volume of compostable material could be diverted from landfills by putting organic bins in parks and along greenbelt pathways.

jiorji
April 11th, 2007, 10:16 PM
i think that walking around with poop is gross. They should just put special poop bins in the parks. THat way everybody;s happy.

I think they have that in some countries

mummummum
April 11th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Yup, on CBC this morning they interviewed a Parks & Rec'er from one of the states in the US. They've had great success with a modified Port-a-Potty in their designated dog parks. They've lopped the top off so all you have is the platform and the potty. Owners use their bags to scoop, then they drop the poop into the potty and the plastic bag goes into a bin. It's closely monitored for odours and capacity to ensure that it is pumped out regularly by the private contractor. Apparently works like a charm !

mafiaprincess
April 11th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Durham region is very very specific. No pet waste what so ever in green bins..
No wood chip litter from smaller pets, no nothing pet related in green bins.

Even if it wasn't that way.. Great use bag to truck the poop home to dump it then in a green bin bag? I use my TO star bags for poop. I'd rather not have to pay for 2 or so bio bags per walk...

mummummum
April 14th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Well, I'm GLAD we can put our poop in the organics bin. It actually makes very good compost for your non-edible plantsand it's a great way to divert it from our landfills.

When we are on our neighbourhood treks, unless the poop is overwhelmingly messy I walk our bag home and I re-use the bag for next shift ( I walk the three of them in 2 shifts) then into the green bin it goes. But, for our cross-country hikes and beach trips, I look for the first available garbage bin, and I certainly can't see trying to whack a ball with a tennis racket while holding a bag full of stinky poop :eek: . So, my vote goes to installing green bins in the parks and along Toronto's "Discovery Trails".:thumbs up

environmentman
November 20th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Hey everybody,

I just want to say I read the sun article and have wrestled with the issue. But have found a solution.
ps- not selling just informing

there are biodegradable bags out there that will work perfectly in this situation. You can bag them and throw them in the green bin/compost.

its a great way to divert animal waste and plastic from landfills and you'll be doing you're part for the environment.