Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Does anyone cook for their cats?

dustybird
April 11th, 2007, 09:00 PM
So with all the food problems I was thinking maybe I should just start making my cats food. Does anyone do this, I know people do it for their dogs but what about cats. Are there any good books or websites someone could reccomend. I know I have to be careful to meet all their needs. Also is it more expensive or about the same. I pay 20 plus for a bag of food now (4 to 8lbs bags), and almost 40 for a case of food. Not too concerned about cost, more concerned about happy healthy cats. My biggest worry though is one is prone to crystals, are there homemade diets to help prevent this?

I know there are a lot of food choices out there (all though the pickens are getting smaller and in Kenora(where we live near from may to october there is a verrrrrrry limited selection, the one store sells all the foods on the recall except fromm and wellness and I have heard of cats getting blocked on both of those) It doesn't help that one cat is verrrrrrry picky and the other well for the most part will eat anything but is not fond of his urinary so/ph canned, which he needs more so than the dry. I don't know if I should even try doing this right now since we will be living in isolation for the next six months and if my male has a problem getting him to the vet is not easy as it is weather permitting(by boat, so if the lake is angry I will not risk it). My boss is great so even if we have to go to town just for him to go the vet (which cots $150.00 in gas) it isn't a problem and they won't make us pay...luckily they are animal lovers and one of the nicest couples I have ever met. It would just kill me to know I caused him to get blocked by feeding him food I made, of course I watch him like a hawk so should catch any urine problems before he gets to point of getting blocked but it doesn't take long for it to happen, if it's going to happen.

Sorry this is so long and thanks for any and all opinions.

dustybird
April 11th, 2007, 09:15 PM
duhhh didn't notice the recipe section.

jiorji
April 11th, 2007, 09:19 PM
if by "cook for your cats" you mean "you make food for yourself and your cat comes and begs until she gets a piece of your chicken too or else she refuses to leave" then yes :D

dustybird
April 11th, 2007, 09:28 PM
lol...they try but it's the one thing I am able to not give in to that they want. It is espcially funny to watch Stixx try and steal your pizza while your taking a bite. She's crazy for pizza, I assume she lived off of old pizza crusts when she was outside before we found her.

jiorji
April 11th, 2007, 10:17 PM
my cat Peanut will see you eating and she likes the smell a lot she comes and grabs your hand(whichever one that's holding the fork) and pull it down to sniff your fork. But she's really picky. SOmetimes I give her a tiny bit to taste but 90% of the time she won't eat it. Unless it's chicken ........and you hold it there for her 5 minutes so she can fully sniff it and lick it...then MAYBE she'll eat. :rolleyes: