Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Orijen 6 Fish

rainbow
April 11th, 2007, 06:10 PM
I received a reply from Peter confirming the removal of Vitamin K3 (menadione sodium bisulfite complex) from all Acana and Orijen dog and cat foods. :thumbs up

Also, the new fish based Orijen formula will be available starting in Calgary on April 15/07. :highfive:

Hello again ******* - yes, we have long ago removed K3 from all ORIJEN and ACANA diets, and for those packages where K is still listed on the label, we use only K1.

As for ORIJEN 6 FISH, it is set for launch next week in Calgary (PIJAC show, April 15th), and internationally in the middle of May. We'll have information on our website early next week and we are really excited as this newest addition to the ORIJEN family is truly an amazing diet and contains 70% fish - of which almost half is from 6 different fresh fish (never frozen, no preservatives) wild-caught in western Canada.

Kind Regards,
Peter
www.championpetfoods.com

mummummum
April 11th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Excellent news Rainbow (and Peter!) ~ thanks for letting us know. I might be able to streeeetch out the TO with homemade for a couple of weeks. Let's hope THIS is "The One" (good dawg ~ finding a husband was easier :rolleyes: )

rainbow
April 11th, 2007, 09:25 PM
So does that mean the hubby is easier to look after than the dogs or just finding him was? :D

mummummum
April 11th, 2007, 09:32 PM
You mean the many Exes I have left in my wake? :D
I'll stick with dawgs thanks !:laughing: :evil:

rainbow
April 11th, 2007, 09:42 PM
I feel that way too sometimes. :rolleyes: :evil: :o

So, you don't have one now? :D

Good luck with the Orijen Fish 6 ..... I hope it's the one that finally works. :fingerscr

Prin
April 11th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Woo! More fishy options! :highfive:

rainbow
April 11th, 2007, 09:54 PM
I guess you're going to try it too? :thumbs up :D

Prin
April 11th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Maybe I'll wait for mum's guinea pigs to try it first.:D

mummummum
April 11th, 2007, 10:22 PM
...So, you don't have one now? :D

No, I have three of these instead. http://bestsmileys.com/lol/4.gif.

... Good luck with the Orijen Fish 6 ..... I hope it's the one that finally works. :fingerscr

Me too ! I'll check the website next week to see the ingredients and Toronto release dates.

rainbow
April 11th, 2007, 11:05 PM
No, I have three of these instead. http://bestsmileys.com/lol/4.gif.

Better than three of these :laughing: ....

Goldens4Ever
April 11th, 2007, 11:57 PM
YES! I have been hoping that they would come out with a fish forumla! Right now, their original formulas are widely available in Florida, but no where else in the U.S., to my knowledge. Gees.....I wonder how/when I'll ever be able to easily attain this new fish one. :sad:

TeriM
April 12th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the update Rainbow. Sounds promising :thumbs up .

chocolatecoffee
April 12th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Wow! That sounds awesome, and I'm so happy to be living in Calgary right now :D.

I feed the Orijen Adult to two of my three girls, but the third just does not like it. She'll pick it up in her mouth occasionally, but then just spits it out. I know if I didn't feed her anything else she would eat it (I created the monster :p), but I want to find something she actually likes. She does usually like fish when we give it to her (NOT seafood though, she insists on rolling on it...), so I'm really, REALLY hoping she might take to this one! :fingerscr

rainbow
April 12th, 2007, 07:04 PM
YES! I have been hoping that they would come out with a fish forumla! Right now, their original formulas are widely available in Florida, but no where else in the U.S., to my knowledge. Gees.....I wonder how/when I'll ever be able to easily attain this new fish one. :sad:

It's also available in Georgia, Oregon and Washington. I think you should get your pet store to contact Peter at Champion Foods about brining it into your area. :)

rainbow
April 12th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Ingredients for Orijen 6 Fish:

Biologically Appropriate for All Breeds

FRESH REGIONAL INGREDIENTS
Fresh salmon, pacific salmon meal, russet potato, Atlantic herring meal, fresh lake whitefish, sweet potato, fresh lake trout, fresh walleye, freshwater cod, fresh herring, sunflower oil, salmon oil (preserved with mixed tocopherals, a natural source of vitamin E), sun-cured alfalfa, Canadian sea vegetables (brown kelp, Irish moss, dulse and bladder wrack), leeks, psyllium, crab shells, rosemary, lecithin, apples, black currants, glucosamine HCl, L-carnitine, chondroitin sulfate.

TONIC HERBS AND BOTANICALS

Chicory root, licorice root, fenugreek, cranberries, marigold flowers, fennel seed, zea mays, peppermint leaf, chamomile flowers, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, rosehips.

ORGANIC MINERALS

Iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate.

PROBIOTIC MICROORGANISMS

Lactobacillus acidophilus, Enterococcus faecium.

PREMIUM VITAMINS

Mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), choline chloride, vitamin A, vitamin D3, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12, folic acid, biotin, pyridoxine (source of vitamin B6).

ORIJEN 6 FRESH FISH with SEA VEGETABLES is a Biologically Appropriate Real-food Kibble (BARK) diet and is formulated with a biologically correct (70/30/0) ingredient ratio of 70% fish, 30% fruit and vegetables and 0% grain. All ingredients are slow-cooked at low temperature (90c) to retain their natural goodness and flavor.
With 8 sources of human-grade fish ingredients harvested from Canada's clean northern lakes and pacific seas, ORIJEN 6 FISH is nutritionally diverse and biologically complete with amino and fatty acids balanced to optimally nourish your dog.

Made without grain, and with very little carbohydrate, ORIJEN 6 FISH is easily metabolized by all dogs.

Read our ingredients and we think you'll agree - Biologically Appropriate ORIJEN is the truly natural way to optimally nourish your adult dog.

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein 44.0% (min.)
Crude Fat 18.0% (max.)
Crude Fibre 2.5% (max.)
Moisture 10.0% (max.)
Calcium 1.4% (min.)
Phosphorus 1.2% (min.)
Omega-6 2.4% (min.)
Omega-3 1.3% (min.)
Carbohydrate 18.0% (max.)
Glucosamine 700 mg/kg (min.)
Chondroitin 250 mg/kg (min.)
Microorganisms 80M cfu/kg
Botanical Inclusions
Chicory root 500 mg/kg
Licorice root 400 mg/kg
Fenugreek 350 mg/kg
Marigold flowers 300 mg/kg
Sweet fennel 300 mg/kg
Peppermint leaf 300 mg/kg
Chamomile flowers 300 mg/kg
Dandelion 150 mg/kg
Summer savory 150 mg/kg
Rosehips 150 mg/kg

The relatively short gastrointestinal system of dogs is evolved to metabolize a diet high in protein but lacks the enzymes needed to efficiently digest carbohydrates and complex sugars.

High-protein and low-carbohydrate, ORIJEN 6 FRESH FISH with SEA VEGETABLES replicates the diet Mother Nature originally intended for adult dogs, but with a single-source protein and single-source carbohydrate.

Different from other grain-free diets, ORIJEN moderates total calories to better match the lifestyle and energy needs of today's domestic dog.

By providing calories in a biologically appropriate form (more calories from protein, fewer calories from carbohydrate and moderate calories from fat) ORIJEN naturally controls body weight.

chocolatecoffee
April 12th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Wow, thanks rainbow, now I'm even more excited! It looks great to my amateur eyes!

...What do the experts say? :D

Prin
April 12th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Ooo that's lookin' high class.:D

TeriM
April 12th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Wow, that is looking great. I think I'll have to give it a try. I might even be able to work my connections and get it at cost :fingerscr .

geisha
April 13th, 2007, 10:46 AM
We can hardly wait. We're drooling!!!

mummummum
April 13th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Oh :pray: let it come to Toronto and :pray: let it be soon...

The ingredients look amazing. I can't see anything to balk at at all !

Oh no! I just went to the website ~ Not until JUNE !!!! :yell:

Prin
April 13th, 2007, 07:59 PM
It's a little toooo fishy.

:laughing: :laughing:

mummummum
April 13th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Yeah but I'll take the bait, I'm hooked.;)

Goldens4Ever
April 13th, 2007, 10:45 PM
It's also available in Georgia, Oregon and Washington. I think you should get your pet store to contact Peter at Champion Foods about brining it into your area. :)

LOL-now that's funny! I wish I could! I can't even get Timberwolf in my area. The closest place that sells it is 2 hours away! I've talked with 2 independent pet stores & they won't get it. (We get it online now).

This new formula looks wonderful & I hope to have my two try it sometime. All of the sources of fish in it makes it very unique.

Anyone know of U.S. web-based company that sells this for online purchase?

rainbow
April 13th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Well that just sucks. :sad: Maybe, once the word gets out down there about what a great food it is, things will change. :fingerscr

Give the pets stores the website and tell them to click on and read the "white paper" information. :thumbs up

Goldens4Ever
April 13th, 2007, 10:56 PM
I just looked at the feeding guidelines for the Orijen Fish. I am a bit confused....For a dog over 65#, they state to feed between 5 3/4 - 6 cups of food per day??? :confused:

I only feed my two between 3 - 3 3/4 cups per day of the TO Ocean Blue. It's almost double on the Orijen Fish. What am I missing here--why is that so high? :confused:

Prin
April 13th, 2007, 11:04 PM
I'd go with the kcal/day and not the cups...

geisha
April 14th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Umm Goldensforever does your dog weigh over 143 lbs. That is one huge golden!!! The Orijen is calculated in kilograms NOT pounds! 2.2 lbs = 1 kg.
Just divide the pounds by 2.2 and you will find the weight in kilos.:thumbs up

Goldens4Ever
April 14th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Umm Goldensforever does your dog weigh over 143 lbs. That is one huge golden!!! The Orijen is calculated in kilograms NOT pounds! 2.2 lbs = 1 kg.
Just divide the pounds by 2.2 and you will find the weight in kilos.:thumbs up

LOL-I must have looked at it wrong. :rolleyes:

GOLDIE weighs between 72-74 LBS.
ASPEN weighs between 68-70 LBS.