Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Trials

mafiaprincess
April 11th, 2007, 03:16 PM
So Cider and I entered a rally o trial, and 2 agility trials.. And at this point I'm a little teed off.

I've never sent so many cheques in my life. Which was fine, but the whole snail mail aspect of it. Check to register with organization, cheque for different organization, cheque per trial for trial fees..

Finally email last week to ask if you get into a trial do they bother to tell you eventually.. got a decent reply that if you don't get in they call, if you do get in they mail you stuff liek a week before.

Trial is FRIDAY I got an email finally today... and my dog isn't on the freaking list for running order unless 'Cinder' is Cider...... But we know a Cinder in agility... So it could be that dog..

Only 4 are signed up to run novice in 'a class' where you've never titled a dog before.. so it might be us..

But could it be anymore last minute or more oops like..?

Byrd
April 11th, 2007, 03:37 PM
If this is the same Friday the 13th trial in Port Perry that we were going to also enter than I know who the organizers are and I must say they aren't very, um, organized. :shrug:

Good luck.

mafiaprincess
April 11th, 2007, 03:43 PM
I've never met them.. but I know where they came from.. Morgan was asking if Shona knew whose trial it was last week.

It's a freaking mess, that makes me pray future trials are better, you know?

I didn't know you and Willow were doing rally, kick@ss. Trials are so few, that if we didn't enter this one, we likely wouldn't ever..

Might have been better not to, but Joan taught us Rally and tried to get everyone to go.

Byrd
April 11th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Yeah, Joan is teaching us too (we are taking advanced now).

Well, I have a few personal matters with these two as they told everyone that 1) Willow could never be in a group situations with other dogs, therefore never do flyball, yet Willow proved herself by going to daycare and doing just fine. 2) They told me Willow could never do Rally-O let alone compete, let alone compete in anything. So, this was going to be an 'in your face' trial, but I decided that we are not ready for that yet (even though we came in third in our grad fun trial... out of seven), we will get a few others under our belt and then prove them wrong.

But, Joan also mentioned that the facility is really small, I don't know if you've been to Maple Grove Church for any training, but their place is smaller than that.

Morgan plans to have some fun matches and trials at her place this summer. Guess we'll see you on the field.

mafiaprincess
April 11th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Congrats on your grad fun match. I touched Cider during ours once.. so we tied for last place :o

But we've practiced hard ever since. Even if we NQ I'll be okay, but we've worked so hard I hope we do better than that.

Oooh that's almost better. People who learn all the levels, and then compete straight through and do amazingly well cause of it.

See it seems to be in a strip plaza, so I was figuring small. We did rally at the church. Seems they have an area to crate, but no dogs can be 'on deck' unless they are the next dog up... Guess cause it's tiny?

I've been waiting for SD to have more stuff with the building complete. Easier to try more stuff if it's closer to home...

Why couldn't Willow do rally? It's not really a ton of dogs all at once.. Would be easier as a thing with dogs than flyball no?

Byrd
April 11th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Apparently Willow couldn't do rally because she doesn't have the attention span. :shrug: Now we are going to do the ADHD seminar on May 26th with Jackie Parkins, just to give it an extra umph.

So you are still taking some classes with SDC then? Or is Joan teaching through Shona's place too? I guess Morgan and Shona are okay now? Morgan was saying that the reason Shona left was Amelie. :shrug:

There are quite a few seminars and new classes coming up in the future, keep checking the site. We are starting SuperDog Games on May 7, to intro back into agility, we haven't done agility since the end of Sept. :sad: The new facility is huge, Morgan took me for a tour, it's over 6000 sq feet of workspace for training, plus the reception and grooming areas as well. Can't wait!

mafiaprincess
April 11th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Apparently Willow couldn't do rally because she doesn't have the attention span. :shrug: Now we are going to do the ADHD seminar on May 26th with Jackie Parkins, just to give it an extra umph.

lol, see you there. I signed us up for that.

I couldn't make it to agility in the winter, work conflicted, so I had to drop it.. I wasn't happy doing nothing doggie, so I looked at everything local, and settled on rally at SD. I'm tossing around trying flyball 1..

I think they are okay. But I don't intently ask who likes or dislikes who or anything.

Wow.. that's a long time off agility for you.. I didn't realize.

Cool. I've only seen the outside, but Morgan was gushing about it. I wasn't even sure where on the property it was till I came last week.

Byrd
April 11th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Cool, we'll be classmates again for two hours. LOL

We are basically going to take everything, I like the idea of being well rounded.

If you take flyball I will more than likely be your assistant teacher. Morgan has asked if I can do it, but nothing has been verified as of yet.

We've been concentrating on obedience and obedience-like work while on agility hiatus.

I saw your name on the May 6 demo e-mail... are you going?

mummummum
April 11th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Ohhhhh You Grrrls and Your Games :D

Byrd
April 11th, 2007, 09:00 PM
LOL I was gonna comment that this seems like a thread built for two.

Well, we did take agility levels one and two together. Willow and Cider were great buds. :cool:

mafiaprincess
April 11th, 2007, 09:02 PM
LOL, Come on Mum.. come play :)

I'll go check it out. But we don't have enough experience to demo anything. Our attention is better than ever, but it isn't always enough.. I'm a little nervous about the rally trial keeping her focus, and more so about agility. But we just need more practice.

I like that idea of being well rounded. I thought I'd hate rally, but it was fun.. So I'd like to learn at least a little bit about as many sports as I can. Sort of wanted to sign up for the beginner disc dog workshop for the dog days of scugog, but I hate signing up so far in advance for stuff in case I really can't make it by the time stuff comes around..

I've also been thinking about taking a handling class. Lot of stuff I want to do is all on the same days though.. So we haven't rushed into anything yet.

mummummum
April 11th, 2007, 09:10 PM
well, if you can bring all that wonderful training not to mention the facilities to Yonge and Bloor I'm there in a nanosecond kiddos ! I am so deeply envious of the two of you ~ so don't worry about it being a 2-person conversation. I'm here ~ drooling !

Byrd
April 12th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Aaawww Mum.... :sad:

Mafia: We've done three demos so far, all we do is the intros, but it's enough to get her started. It's a fun day. This year I'm hoping that we will be able to do more, like the flyball demo and the high jump. :fingerscr Another year older, we'll see. You have to come out to dog days, there are going to be rally fun matches and other fun stuff to do.

mafiaprincess
April 12th, 2007, 06:59 PM
I also have an awwww for Mum...

Even still intro or not it's experience right. That's cool. Awesome. I don't know much about dog days.. Saw the disc dog seminars, and that there were demos.. Did you go last year to it?

Byrd
April 12th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Oh yeah 'free' experience.

I did the Dog Days last year, oh yeah, it was fun. We did the disc seminar on the Saturday, that was a fun day, we got to learn a lot about throwing frisbee, I couldn't before that day, but after could do backhand, and under leg, and many other trick throws. Willow also learned to flip that day too. Jackie is a good teacher. The next day we did the demos, and walked around the show (we lost the shortest tail contest lol), it was good until it rained. :rolleyes:

mummummum
April 13th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Thx for the awwws :D

What's Dog Days ?
If you do the demo's, you do that because you think you aren't quite ready for competition ? What do you mean by "the intro's" in relation to demo's? :o