Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What to Eat

Byrd
April 11th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Monday night I must have eaten some bad food because dinner hit my belly like a tonne of bricks and after three hours of fighting it I gave in and threw up, something I haven't done in over five years. Since then I've had water and a few crackers, so I'm going on two days of no food (slept all day yesterday). I'm getting hungry, and don't know what would be safe to eat. I don't have any soup other than minestrone, and I just don't think I could stomach that, and I don't keep bread in the house either (it just goes to waste). I go back to work tomorrow and need brekkie and lunch and don't know what to bring.

Any suggestions?

trippincherri
April 11th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Okay your supposed to follow the cardinal rule of sick stomachs.
Remember B.R.A.T.

Banana's Rice (I don't remember A lol) and Toast
These foods apparently will stay down better then anything else and the bananas apparently have something in them to relieve the nausea.
You have to keep hydrated as well...so no matter what drink a ton of water or else you will end up in the hospital on an IV and that is no fun.

If all else fails try some Gravol or some Pepto Bismol.
And eat slowly so as not to shock your stomach and upset it all over again.

happycats
April 11th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Okay your supposed to follow the cardinal rule of sick stomachs.
Remember B.R.A.T.

Banana's Rice (I don't remember A lol) and Toast
These foods apparently will stay down better then anything else and the bananas apparently have something in them to relieve the nausea.
You have to keep hydrated as well...so no matter what drink a ton of water or else you will end up in the hospital on an IV and that is no fun.

If all else fails try some Gravol or some Pepto Bismol.
And eat slowly so as not to shock your stomach and upset it all over again.

BRAT ......I will have to remember that! Thanks.
Also the water shouldn't be to cold or that will shock it and probably make you sick again, room temperature ( Taste gross, but it's better for your tummy)

Byrd
April 11th, 2007, 01:31 PM
K guess it's rice... lol I don't have any bananas because of the whole diet thing (bananas are high carb). Would bagels work in lui of toast, or english muffins? (I have those instead of bread)

My water is room temp cuz it's taking me a whole day to drink it.

trippincherri
April 11th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Okay it is
Bananas Rice Apples Toast

There always remember that and you'll never starve with a sick stomach!!
English muffins should work, maybe not the bagel because they are kinda heavy on the tummy.
And eat it dry.....a topping may make you sick again.

Byrd
April 11th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Apples, oh, apples I have!!!!

Rice is cooking, will have some of that, and make enough for lunch tomorrow. At least some rice and an apple will ease the hunger a bit without making me sick again. :fingerscr

trippincherri
April 11th, 2007, 04:37 PM
So....did you manage to uh...keep the food down? :o

Byrd
April 11th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Yes, a very tiny amount of rice went down and has, so far, stayed down.

Dog Dancer
April 11th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Hope you're on the mend Byrd. Enjoy the rice. I guess it's plain though huh. I haven't had rice in so long now, I miss it. I'd like a bowl of rice with soya sauce and butter. (But TD's cookies look good too, the chip ones, not so much the ones for men.)

trippincherri
April 11th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Good glad it's working for ya.
Rice is always good whether your sick or not.

Byrd
April 11th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Yeah, I like it too, only not so plain.

So far so good. :thumbs up

SnowDancer
April 11th, 2007, 05:55 PM
I don't know why, but for some reason I think that the "A" in the BRAT diet stands for Applesauce - a little easier to digest. Quite happy to be wrong.

Byrd
April 11th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I looked it up and it is applesauce. I had some of those Fruitsation things, so that worked out perfectly too.

technodoll
April 11th, 2007, 07:11 PM
you can also try some fat-free yogurt, soothing and high in protein... Bio-K adds mega-probiotics benefits too, never a bad thing ;) i love rice and don't eat it enough, that's for sure... how about cooked in some chicken broth for flavor? being sick is no fun :frustrated: hope you feel better soon! :goodvibes:

Byrd
April 11th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Yup, had a yogurt, just a moment ago actually, and some juice.

I really need to keep some chicken broth, or even oxo, on hand incase this happens again. I don't mind the flavour of rice though, like it with pepper and butter better though.

rainbow
April 11th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Glad your feeling better Byrd. :)

But, you need to edit your first post to include a warning for Prin NOT to read. :laughing: :D

RolandsMom
April 11th, 2007, 07:31 PM
you should keep some ginger/pepermint (either or or both) tea on hand too. its amazing that stuff. i was terribly naseous on the ferry and didnt have any gravol. they had peppermint tea and i had a cup of that and the nasea was completly manageable after that. although with food poisoning you need to get that stuff out before you get better anyway. the tea may just help after to settle your stomach.

Byrd
April 11th, 2007, 07:42 PM
you need to edit your first post to include a warning for Prin NOT to read. :laughing: :D

Does Prin have a problem with throw up talk?

rainbow
April 11th, 2007, 08:09 PM

Yeah....I learned the hard way. :o

Byrd
April 11th, 2007, 08:21 PM
LOL Well, it's not like I described it in detail. :p

breeze
April 11th, 2007, 08:50 PM
I hope you are felling better :goodvibes: :grouphug:

Frenchy
April 11th, 2007, 08:50 PM

Yes , you know , like BARFING :laughing: sorry I just had to do it

My mom used to feed me Lipton noodle soup and cherry Jello when I was sick. Hope you're feeling better :fingerscr

breeze
April 11th, 2007, 08:59 PM
my grandmum fed me
hard boiled eggs and toast

o maybe we should not be talking about all this food cause Bryd tummy might get upset again :sad: sorry :sad:

Byrd
April 11th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Thanks guys.

Yeah, feeling better, but don't want to push it. My head is pounding though, and my right hip hurts. :shrug: Probably from all the sleeping... last night I fell asleep at 10:00 or so on the couch and when I woke up I was like "wow, it's really light in here" and it was 7:30!!! :eek: Thank goodness I wasn't going to work today!

breeze
April 11th, 2007, 09:02 PM
I wish I could do that minus the tummy problems :D (sleep that is)

Do you have to go into work tomorrow can't you take another day off sounds like you might need it

Frenchy
April 11th, 2007, 09:08 PM
I heard bananas are probiotic, it soothes your stomach after being sick. Yes maybe you should take another day off.

Byrd
April 11th, 2007, 09:09 PM
I can't take any more time without a doctor's note, how do you prove this? I will just take it easy tomorrow, the girls I work with will just have to understand. Besides, there is no one to cover for me as yesterday proved, basically they hung a sign on my door saying that appts were cancelled due to illness so all of you that came in are SOL, that is until the girl from that office came in to call everyone, four ended up coming in, one lady was from Toronto and is 80! I felt so bad. :sad:

Frenchy
April 11th, 2007, 09:12 PM
I felt so bad. :sad:

Sometimes we don't have a choice. :sick:

breeze
April 11th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Thats to bad you can't take an other day off, all you can do now is rest and hopfully tomorrow will be better for you, eat light and it should help
:grouphug: :goodvibes: :grouphug: :goodvibes: feel better head pounding is no fun at all !!!!

breeze
April 11th, 2007, 09:18 PM
just a little something to make you feel better :D

http://www.cuddlecards.com/jun03getwell2.html

Byrd
April 11th, 2007, 09:20 PM
I know, sometimes we don't have a choice, and it's also not my choice that they won't train anyone as backup either. :frustrated:

I think the headache is honestly from too much sleep. I probably need some fresh air and whatnot. The only fresh air I've had is when Willow wants out.

technodoll
April 11th, 2007, 09:39 PM
byrd, whatever you do... don't look at this!! :eek:

http://www.mekuno.net/archives/Banana2.jpg

(ok it's only banana bread... mmmmm baaanaaanaaa bread....)

Byrd
April 11th, 2007, 09:42 PM
mmmm that looks yummy. But, the Swiss Chalet commercials now make me :sick: Man, it's one of my fave restaraunts too!!! :sad:

Byrd
April 12th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Okay, so I made it to work, a little tired, but made it.

Had real food too! :thumbs up Well, if soup and a few baked fries are real food. :shrug: Things are looking up.

breeze
April 12th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery :thumbs up :thumbs up

Byrd
April 13th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Nausea's gone! :thumbs up Still tired, dizzy, etc, but no more nausea.

Willow seems a little cuddly and sluggish right now though. :confused:

Oh, and four people, including the HR lady are off with the same thing.