Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dogs attitude (NEED HELP)

Beth Lundin
April 11th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum. I have a major problem. My Vet that has known my dog Sugarray (Miniature Schnauzer) retired. Surgarry is going to be 7 yrs. in Aug. He has always barked at people when the enter the house & then calms down. He has done this ever since he has been at least 1 year old. I have had a trainer & he told me that he is POSSESIVE NOT PROTECTING ME. He told me to put the leash on him & take him away from people & then say good quiet. It has worked some, but takes a while for him to calm down.

THIS IS THE MAJOR PROBLEM NOW - MY NEW VET HAS SEEM HIM 3 TIMES. THE FIRST TIME SUGARRAY WAS FINE. SECOND TIME MY DOG GROWLED AT HIM. THE VET TOOK HIM IN THE BACK TO CHECK HIM.

YESTERDAY I HAD TO TAKE SUGARRAY TO THE VET BECAUSE HE HAS SEVERE ALLERGIES. THE MINUTE THE VET CAME INTO THE ROOM HE STARTED BARKING & GROWLING AT HIM. THE VET TOLD ME HE PUT A MUZZLE ON HIM THE LAST VISIT & WILL HAVE TO MUZZLE HIM AGAIN. HE WAS NEVER LIKE THIS TOWARDS THE OTHER VET NOR IS HE LIKE THIS TOWARDS THE GROOME. EVEN THE GIRL THAT STILL WORKS THERE CAN'T BELIEVE SUGARRAY WOULD ACT LIKE THAT.

THE VET TOLD ME TO GET A TRAINER. I TOLD HIM THAT HE HAS NEVER ACTED LIKE THIS. HE TOLD AGAIN TO GET A TRAINER.

WHAT DO YOU THINK? I HOPE HE DOESN'T ACT LIKE THIS TOWARDS OTHER VETS. I AM THINKING OF GOING TO A DIFFERENT VET.

PLEASE HELP!! HE IS A LOVABLE DOG. I CAN'T BELIEVE HE PUT A MUZZLE ON MY DOG. IS THAT MORE TRAUMATIC FOR HIM?

THANKS!!!

SARAH
April 11th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Sounds like your dog doesn't like that vet. If I were you I'd at least try another vet or two, to see how he reacts to them.

I find it strange that the vets here in Canada take the animal away into a back room where 1) the owner cannot see what happens and 2) the animal cannot be comforted by the owner's presence.

One animal hospital did not do this, the one in Hudson let me stay with Misti at her last visit. They may be a little out of my way (like 30 minutes' drive) but oh, so worth it!

JanM
April 11th, 2007, 12:11 PM
I would find another vet - obviously your dog and the vet don't see eye to eye and the vet's muzzling him - without you present - just doesn't seem right to me! Taking him away to "check him out" doesn't seem right either..

Spirit
April 11th, 2007, 12:24 PM
I have had a trainer & he told me that he is POSSESIVE NOT PROTECTING ME. He told me to put the leash on him & take him away from people & then say good quiet. It has worked some, but takes a while for him to calm down.

I don't understand this. What is your dog possesive of, and why would he tell you to take your dog AWAY?? It sounds to me that your dog is just unsure of the new company (because you said that after they come in he's fine) and pulling him back is sending the message that getting close is something to fear. If my dog ever does that, I'd bring him closer and make sure he knows that this behavior is not acceptable by showing him that there's nothing to be this way about. Or even just let him sniff the person (no talking, no touching, no eye contact) until he feels more secure and backs off.

As for your vet, I would either try a new one, or talk to a behaviorist (not a trainer) about the proper way to communicate with your dog that aggression towards people (or any aggression for that matter) is neither acceptable, or appropriate. Especially if you have 7 years of this behavior, it's not something you can fix overnight (but it is fixable).

jessi76
April 11th, 2007, 12:32 PM
THE VET TOOK HIM IN THE BACK TO CHECK HIM.

that'd be a red flag for me. My dog doesn't leave my sight unless in surgery or being xrayed. I am in the room for all exams, checkups, shots, etc...

definately try a new vet and see how it goes.

pitgrrl
April 11th, 2007, 12:52 PM
that'd be a red flag for me. My dog doesn't leave my sight unless in surgery or being xrayed. I am in the room for all exams, checkups, shots, etc...

definately try a new vet and see how it goes.

I totally agree. I actually stay with my dogs even for x-rays and would be profoundly uncomfortable with a vet that did things behind closed doors.

I would try another vet, if the problem continues, then seek out a trainer and/or behaviorist that is experienced in this type of problem.

mafiaprincess
April 11th, 2007, 04:01 PM
My dog also doesn't leave my sight at the vet unless surgery is involved. I'd look for another vet.

Not sure your trainer's advice is all that stellar either, but it's confusing to read.