Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Quick question: about nails...

Prin
April 11th, 2007, 12:13 AM
hehe, 'scuse the pun.:D

I got a pic of Boo's quick today (finally) and either I'm nuts, or I've solved the mystery!

The quick is not IN the nail! See?
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Jemma%20and%20Boo%20MarAprMay%202007/IMG_7860.jpg

It's below the nail. So when you push the little soft part on the underside of the nail, that's the quick exposed. :eek: So now we know, IMO (if I'm right about this) why dogs with nails like Boo's are so difficult for clipping.

Am I wrong?

sissani
April 11th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Oh I'm trying to think back to the pictures in the grooming study packet... I cant remember :sorry: But I know black dogs in general are harder to clip/grind because its simply harder to see the quick and know where to stop. Thank heaven for Quick Stop!

Prin
April 11th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Yeah, lol, black doggies are harder.

We were debating a while ago as to why some dogs' nails can't be cut as short as others. Jemma's got cat-like feet and her nails are always so short compared to Boo's. Boo just won't tolerate a short cut and I think it's because his quick is exposed already.

Here's the original thread:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=36508

TeriM
April 11th, 2007, 12:47 AM
I think it might depend on the type of dog you have. Lucy and Riley both have nails like Boo.

Prin
April 11th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Do you find them more sensitive to cut than other dogs?

TeriM
April 11th, 2007, 12:56 AM
They are really wimpy. I doubt that I could actually ever cut the quick because they are very vocal when I get close. One thing I did learn here though was to sort of cut the sides back a bit (so you are cutting only on one side of the quick and then the other side) and that seems to be helping to get Lucy's to recede back a bit.

Prin
April 11th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Yeah, that's what I'm doing with my new scissor-type cutters... But I can't do it on Jemma's. Her quick is right in the middle. She's got nail on top and under it too. :shrug:

Hunter's_owner
April 11th, 2007, 06:42 AM
I think that must be it with Hunter's as well. It would explain why he is so unbelievably wimpy when it comes time to cut them:rolleyes:

Little Cassie don't mind it at all, but he don't even like us cutting hers:laughing:

But yeah, if that is what is going on, then it explains why they are so hard to cut.

technodoll
April 11th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Prin, both my dog,s nails are the same, too. it,s the top and sides you need to trim, never the bottom. you need to expose the quick (by trimming around it, like giving a buzz haircut) and that way, when he walks, he can't push on the hard top part which prevents the quick from being naturally worn down. It's the only way the quick will eventually receed to give shorter nails, which he needs specially as he grows older to avoid foot damage, arthritis, etc. :)

SableCollie
April 11th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I have seen that a lot in dogs with black nails, especially if the nails are thick. It definitely makes it a challenge to cut them! My dad's shepherd's nails look just like that, and the top part of the nail will grow a skinny little hook on it, but the bottom part with the quick doesn't seem to grow. And he is really sensitive about his feet, my mother has been desensitizing him to nail clipping, but my dad will get impatient, and try to hold him down and cut his nails, and that sets the dog back...I wonder if they are more sensitive than normal nails?

I had a dog once whose quick grew outside of the nail, but on the top. It was only one of her nails, it was really odd, and it would bleed like heck if you cut it.

You could try grinding them down with a dremel if it is too hard to cut, some groomers will do that. Sometimes that scares them more, though, depends on the dog.

Prin
April 11th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Weird, techno, because Jemma's nails aren't like that. She doesn't have a meaty part exposed on the underside.:o

Mystery unsolved! :laughing:

technodoll
April 11th, 2007, 10:05 PM
well no matter if the quick is exposed or not on the underside, every dog’s nail anatomy will be slightly different but essentially built the same way (barring deformities of course). some quicks just sit "lower" than others in a nail, like boo's for example. :)

Prin
April 11th, 2007, 10:13 PM
And some doggies are screamers and biters while others are squirmers and squigglers. :D