Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello all

mamakitten
April 10th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I'm the adoptive mother of the a stray my son brought home from his apartment's laundromat. He thinks someone moved and left her behind. She terrorized his cat (a recovering feral) so he kept her locked in his room. She ate and ate and gained weight and (suprise!!) had 6 babies after a while.
She wasn't full grown when he brought her home, but was a good mom and had healthy babies. He found good homes for the babies and everyone has been fixed. She still didn't get along with his cat so I brought her to my house until we could find a good home for her. We did. She owns the place and makes us happy. We've had her a little over a year now.
She is quite neurotic when it come to food though. Free feeding won't work as she'll eat and eat and eat. Some site I visited said some ex-strays will turn into butterballs if they are allowed all they want. I've tried several schedules and amounts.
Currently I give her 2 1/2 scoops (about 1/3 cup scoop) before I go to bed so she doesn't wake me at 5 AM. For a while she wouldn't finish it off until 4 the next day and would come looking for more around 8 or so. These days she's polishing it off by 8 in the morning and looking at me like she's completed a wonderful feat and she's ready for more.
During the day she'll come in check the bowl and run back out to explore. She checks the bowl like it's an obsession. I'm hoping over time she'll relax.
Anyway this looked like a great place to try and figure out our little cat problems. Thanks

RolandsMom
April 10th, 2007, 10:13 PM
what are you feeding her? depending on the food quality you she may be hungry! specially if shes still a kitten. they need lots of calories!

mamakitten
April 11th, 2007, 07:05 AM
I'm feeding her Innova (dry).

chico2
April 11th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Welcome to the Forum:cat:
Innova is a good quality food,she should be ok..
My youngest cat was found outside as a kitten,probably eating anything he could,my problem is,even now(5yrs later)he eats as if it was his last meal:laughing:and is getting butterbally:cat:
Maybe cats remember the lean days,who knows???
Anyways,we need pics of your kitty,ok:fingerscr

mamakitten
April 11th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Yeah, I'm trying to avoid the ballooning cat syndrome as she loves to run and jump and when she was getting all she could she was landing heavy and didn't look happy about it.
Being pregnant and hungry couldn't have been fun.
I'll fix a picture of her as she loves the camera but everything I take is a huge file so I'll make one not so big and post it.

TeriM
April 12th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Welcome to the forum. We'd love to see a pic of your kitty, she sounds very sweet :lovestruck: .

mamakitten
April 13th, 2007, 09:02 PM
I tried to email myself a converted and smaller picture I had of kitten and I took some more today. I hope this works.

mamakitten
April 13th, 2007, 09:08 PM
That worked so here's another!

SableCollie
April 13th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I love when cats have spotted tummies. So cute!

rainbow
April 14th, 2007, 01:33 AM
She is very pretty. :lovestruck: Welcome to the forum. :)