Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Medi-cal on recall list

Prin
April 10th, 2007, 07:40 PM
ctv news story (http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/TopStories/ContentPosting.aspx?feedname=CTV-TOPSTORIES_V2&newsitemid=CTVNews%2f20070409%2fpetfood_recall_070 410&showbyline=True)

Another brand of cat food is being recalled after Royal Canin Canada discovered from Menu Foods that one lot of its product contained contaminated wheat gluten.

Cat owners are taking their pets to the vet in fears they have eaten the food in question.
The affected product is Medi-Cal Feline Dissolution Formula canned food.

One production lot with the best before date of Jan. 8, 2009 contains the tainted ingredient. But Royal Canin is taking the precautionary step of recalling all date codes.

The food is prescribed only through veterinary clinics and is not available through retail outlets. It is the only Royal Canin or Medi-Cal product being recalled.

In a statement, the company says they learned late Monday from Menu Foods, which makes the product, that contaminated wheat gluten had been used in this product.

Royal Canin Canada says this is despite repeated assurances they received from Menu Foods that no contaminated wheat gluten made its way into Canada.

"After being repeatedly reassured by Menu Foods, as reinforced by FDA public statements, that none of the contaminated wheat gluten had made its way to Canada, we were completely shocked to learn yesterday that this was not the case, and that this wheat gluten had been used in the Feline Dissolution Formula canned product," said Xavier Unkovic, CEO of Royal Canin Canada.

"As animal health professionals and pet owners ourselves, we know this recall will cause concern for our customers as it has for our entire Medi-Cal/Royal Canin team," said Dr. Brent Matthew, Veterinary Division Director. "We deeply regret that this has occurred."

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration last month announced that it had found melamine, a chemical used in plastics and some fertilizer, in samples of recalled pet food.

Pet owners who are feeding the recalled product to their cats and have questions are asked to call Royal Canin at 1-866-494-6844.

Prin
April 10th, 2007, 07:42 PM
There's a bunch on their website too:
http://www.medi-cal.ca/

One Beagle Girl
April 10th, 2007, 07:50 PM
It's unbelievable, the recalls just don't seem to stop. :mad:

Hunter's_owner
April 10th, 2007, 07:54 PM
My goodness, just when you think it is starting to end:sad:
Interesting to see that vet food is being affected as well. Maybe that will open people's eyes:fingerscr

Tommysmom
April 10th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Unbelievable. You know, it just really makes you wonder where it will all end, doesn't it? And now I question all of Tommy's problems... he's been on 3 foods from companies involved with the recalls. His foods were not on the list, but hey, they could be tomorrow, the way things are going. And really... who knows how much else is involved that they're not telling us about?

Poor kitties. Poor puppies.

Prin
April 10th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Thank goodness Tommy's not on them anymore. :grouphug:

Tommysmom
April 10th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Actually Prin, that's more like 'thank Prin and Pets.ca that Tommy's not on them anymore'... I wouldn't have had the knowledge and the courage to make informed choices about his foods if not for you guys :grouphug: !!!

Frenchy
April 10th, 2007, 09:34 PM
I'm trying to keep out of these threads cuz I find it too upsetting. When is it going to end ? :sad:

JanM
April 10th, 2007, 10:02 PM
I've just sent a friend of mine this information - he has a cat and, since he uses the MediCal food for his dog, I'm afraid he may be feeding his cat this stuff! Thanks for sharing the information...

The tainted food is totally upsetting - may it soon end!

SunnysMum
April 10th, 2007, 10:44 PM
When Sunny was sick with FLUTD in January/February, he was on Medical Disolution Formula (both canned and dry). He ate it for about 3 weeks. It's a prescription food (i.e. not even kept in the front section of the vets office).

He's been off the food since mid-February and he's fine - so I'm going to assume he did not eat any of the cans that were tainted (I no longer have any of the cans of food around to check)

This is so frustrating. He was prescribed this food to help make him better...it is frustrating (and very scary) to find out that it could have made things a whole lot worse :mad:

rainbow
April 10th, 2007, 11:32 PM
I find it odd that only the Medi-Cal Feline Dissolution Formula used the tainted ingredient. Do none of their other formulas have wheat gluten in them?

Prin
April 11th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Honestly, I'd stay away from the whole company for a while (all of the companies named so far in the recall). But that's just me...:o Better safe than sorry. :fingerscr

krdahmer
April 11th, 2007, 01:08 AM
AAAAAAAAAAH! Holy cow. I'm almost terrified to feed my cats now. This is getting ridiculous. Medi-cal now too? At least it's not the formula I use and I am doing a slow change over from it to Wellness or Natural Balance over the next couple weeks. Man oh man, I guess at the very least this has made a whole lot of pet owners more consious of what they feed their furry friends, and perhaps it will lead to some form of regulatory body like the FDA overseeing pet food here in Canada. ARGH :yell:

Prin
April 11th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Natural Balance is better, IMO, than Wellness...:o (for now)

rainbow
April 11th, 2007, 01:37 AM
I agree. :)

dustybird
April 11th, 2007, 08:42 PM
The dissolution canned formula is the only food they make that is cuts and gravy style. All the other canned food is pate. I checked all my food as one is on preventive and the other is on royal canin urinary so/ph and they do not contain any wheat. It doens't make me feel any better though. According to what I read on their website when this all started back in march that any wheat they do use is suppose to come from europe and not china(why can't they just buy this stuff in cananda or the states). I assume they had menu make it for them becasue their factory wasn't set up to make chunks and gravy style food and that they didn't want to do any remodelling(just guessing).

I wish this would end but it doesn't seem like its ever going to stop.

rainbow
April 11th, 2007, 10:36 PM
I read on another forum that some companies get their wheat gluten from the Netherlands but the Netherlands actually imports it from China.