Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Should I adopt a cat?

HunterXHunter
April 10th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Hmmm....

I'm in PEI right now and I volunteer at the PEI Humane Society for the past 2 months. There's this one cat that I really adore, and would like to adopt him. However, I'm worried that he won't get along with Hunter (my golden ret.) when I return to Toronto. They both have very playful personalities, but neither has had any contact with the other uh...species. I don't want to have to give one up when I return to Toronto because they don't get along. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I have heard from many of my co-workers that their dog(s) get along with their cat(s) just fine....

brandynva
April 10th, 2007, 02:36 PM
I wonder if you could have the cat around another dog with Hunter's similar temperament and see how the cat does. My dog's both do well around the cat, but we have a very calm, tolerant cat. One thing we do is to make sure the cat has a place to get away from the dogs too. Usually when he's had enough "affection" he sits on the other side of the gate and smirks. hehe Do you know anybody back home that has a cat that you could get them to introduce to Hunter? Taht way, by the time you get home he would be somewhat familiar with the species?

HunterXHunter
April 10th, 2007, 02:41 PM
They say people usually find friends with similar interests, but I'm the only person out of all my friends that actually has a pet (and no, I don't have only 1 friend :evil: ). Actually, they all love Hunter, they just can't commit to a pet like I can. Well, I guess it's a good thing that they know they can't commit, otherwise we might end up with a few more abandoned animals....

However, I just received good news from one of the shelter co-ordinators and they're gonna test Bogart (the cat) with a cat-friendly dog in the shelter and see how he reacts. Hopefully the result is good :fingerscr

brandynva
April 10th, 2007, 05:10 PM
They say people usually find friends with similar interests, but I'm the only person out of all my friends that actually has a pet (and no, I don't have only 1 friend :evil: ). Actually, they all love Hunter, they just can't commit to a pet like I can. Well, I guess it's a good thing that they know they can't commit, otherwise we might end up with a few more abandoned animals....

However, I just received good news from one of the shelter co-ordinators and they're gonna test Bogart (the cat) with a cat-friendly dog in the shelter and see how he reacts. Hopefully the result is good :fingerscr

Ooooo good luck! If you decide to get him, you definetly have to show us pictures! :cloud9: I like the name, too. What kind of cat is he?

HunterXHunter
April 10th, 2007, 05:18 PM
I'm wasn't much of a cat person, but it's description is:

4 year old male
Domestic shorthair
Orange

I love playing with him in my spare time at the HS. I always stick my finger into the cage and wiggle it. He sits there and pretends he doesn't notice (but he doesn't know his eyes give him away), and then "pounces" on it and gnaws (gently) at it once he catches it.

Yeah, I hope I get him and I'll definitely post up pictures if I get him. :thumbs up

brandynva
April 10th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I have an orange kitty. http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k245/brandynva/IMG_0368-1.jpg

They are sooo soft and cuddly. I love cats, but cats seems to like my husband better. :offtopic: I can be sitting there petting Otis, and as soon as my hubby sits down he abandons me for my husband's lap. And mine is more mushy too! :laughing: But he has always attracted the cats.

Anyway, good luck again!

Maya
April 10th, 2007, 05:44 PM
If there is a chance he won't get adopted if you leave him i'd for sure give it a try, if it doesn't work out at least you get to spend more time with him and make sure he finds a good home.

Dogastrophe
April 10th, 2007, 06:00 PM
When we found Gracie and brought her in from the cold we were not initally planning on keeping her because (1) we were not really 'cat' people and (2) we were worried about how the two pups would react. After a couple of days we decided that maybe we would keep her until she was strong and healthy enough to put up for adoption through a rescue.

After about a week she had grown on us and we decided that we were going to attempt at keeping her. Problem 1 solved.

Problem 2 worked itself out after about 2 months. The dogs became used to her smell, then her sight, then her movements. Gracie then started to become comfortable seeing these two nut-cases racing around the house. We are now at the 2-1/2 month mark and couldn't be happier.

Don't be discouraged it the kitty doesn't seem to enjoy being around the cat-friendly dog. It is one thing for a dog to not mind a cat, but if the cat has not been around dogs, the reaction may not necessarily mean that the cat will not get along with a dog.

If you have the time and patience to introduce a cat to Hunter, go for it.

:dog: :pawprint: :cat:

Hunter's_owner
April 10th, 2007, 06:00 PM
My Hunter gets along wonderfully with kitties, as long as they don't run away from them. When they run, he gives chase, he has never hurt any of them, but he scares them just from his size zooming after them. He really just wants to smell and lick them:o
So yeah, the first step is getting the cat to accept the dog, imo. After that as long as the dog don't completely lose it when he sees a cat, I think it will work out fine.

Good luck:thumbs up

HunterXHunter
April 14th, 2007, 10:26 AM
woohoo!!! they tested Bogart with a cat-friendly dog and while he seemed a bit uneasy, he wasn't frightened or went into attack mode or anything so i'm gonna adopt him

the earliest date i can pick him up is mon or tues they said so i'll post up pics then :D

Frenchy
April 14th, 2007, 12:16 PM
First of all congratulation for volunteering :thumbs up That's very nice of you. And now I see the cat is ok with dogs so another :thumbs up

My opinion about cats and dogs relationship ; it all depends on the cat (as long as you don't have a dog who likes to eat cats :eek: ) if the cat don't mind dogs and doesn't ran away from them , the dogs usually loose interest. It's when the cat doesn't let the dog smell him and would run, dogs like the chase, if no chase, they become buddies. My Monsieur le chat is not scared by any dogs, even new fosters. He just stands there like ; come and see me if you feel lucky :evil: :laughing: just kidding, he lets the dogs smell him and give them a warning when they if they get too excited. When can we expect a picture ?

mummummum
April 14th, 2007, 02:34 PM
That great HunterxHunter !!!! :cat: :highfive: :dog:

HunterXHunter
April 14th, 2007, 03:08 PM
I'm picking him up on Tuesday, so I'll post pictures after we get home
I can't wait!!! I'm gonna be a father again!! :o

jiorji
April 14th, 2007, 03:36 PM
I'm gonna be a father again!! :o

LOL you're too funny! COngrats on the kitty and can't wait to see him :cloud9:

where's Hunter? Is he in Toronto still?I lost track of things:o ...weren't you supposed to bring him with you when you settled? I hope he'll become good friends fast with his new little brother :D :dog: :cat: They'll take naps together in no time I'm sure :lovestruck:

rainbow
April 14th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Congrats on your new addition :stork-baby: ....can't wait to see pics. :cloud9:

clm
April 14th, 2007, 08:39 PM
One of my past cats didn't like dogs, just stayed away from the dog and spat at him if he got too close.
My neighbours cat hated Yogi too, she was a little more aggressive, she charged the dog, but Yogi just backed away from her.
All my other cats have been fine with my dogs.
Best of luck with your new kitty, no house should be without one :thumbs up

Cindy

TeriM
April 15th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Congrats, looking forward to some pics :thumbs up .

HunterXHunter
April 16th, 2007, 05:36 PM
20 hours left...I'm so anxious...

I don't think I would be working at work tomorrow :o

brandynva
April 16th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Aww congratulations! :D I can't wait to see pictures of your new kitty. Are you going to keep his name the same? When will he get to meet hunter?

HunterXHunter
April 18th, 2007, 11:17 AM
You can find some of Bogart's pictures -here- (http://www.glenyu.ca/bogart.html)

Frenchy
April 18th, 2007, 11:37 AM
You can find some of Bogart's pictures -here- (http://www.glenyu.ca/bogart.html)

He's adorable ! :thumbs up Looks scared a bit ? Is he getting use to his new home ? (cats take a bit longer than dogs to get comfy :D but once they do...)

HunterXHunter
April 18th, 2007, 12:02 PM
He's adorable ! :thumbs up Looks scared a bit ? Is he getting use to his new home ? (cats take a bit longer than dogs to get comfy :D but once they do...)

Yeah, he's still hiding in his little home thingy (what do you call those anyway? my co-worker calls it a "cat condo") and he hasn't gone to the litter box to relieve himself yet, nor has he eaten much

jiorji
April 18th, 2007, 12:20 PM
awww look at the little guy!! he's cute!

don't worry about him. Cats take a while to adjust, so don't get discouraged if he keeps his distance. My cat Peanut took 6 or more months to finally let me pet her. But i see this kitty of yours is more than happy to play with your hand which is a good sign:thumbs up

rainbow
April 18th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Bogart is a very handsome boy. :lovestruck: It won't take long for him to adjust to his new surroundings....you'll be cuddling in no time. :cloud9:

chico2
April 20th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Any news,how is Bogart doing??He's adorable by the way:lovestruck:

HunterXHunter
April 21st, 2007, 10:55 AM
Bogart is doing really well. He's adjusted to his new surroundings here and comes out to greet me when I get home from work and comes into my room to nibble on my fingers when I'm more than 1/2 hour late in feeding him his breakfast (I normally feed him at 7:15ish when I get up to get ready for work, but it was the weekend and I *thought* I could sleep a tad more...).

Basically...he's eating, drinking, pooping, peeing, so I guess all is well (although he still doesn't play with some of the toys I've bought him...hmm...)

rainbow
April 21st, 2007, 01:03 PM
Awww....I knew it wouldn't take long for him to adjust. :cloud9: As far as the toys......he's four years old and cats usually don't have too much interest by that age.

chico2
April 21st, 2007, 01:34 PM
My cats very seldom play by themselves,unless the toy is doused in cat-nip:laughing:
Toys,I stopped buying them a long time ago,strings and things are much more appealing to my cats:shrug:

rainbow
April 21st, 2007, 01:50 PM
Hee hee.....twist ties that I leave on the counter and pens that go missing. :laughing:

HunterXHunter
April 21st, 2007, 03:18 PM
Hmm...I wise I did more research about the toy thing before I adopted him. Oh well...

He reacts to my finger/hand though...so I guess he thinks it's a string, twist tie or pen :rolleyes:

chico2
April 21st, 2007, 04:01 PM
Hunter,it's not only Bogart,cats want YOU to play with them,unless you have a couple of cats and they usually keep themselves entertained.
If you have a window with a sill or a catperch,he will sit there looking outside for hours,an open window with a screen even better.
I hope you don't regret adopting him because of the toys:sad:
Cat-toys in the store are more geared to humans,I don't know how many stuffed mice I have:laughing: it has to smell and move like a mouse for my cats to be interested.
I don't know if you already tried,but buy a bag of catnip and rub a toy with it,it should get him going:laughing:

TeriM
April 21st, 2007, 10:31 PM
Bogart is very handsome :lovestruck: . My cats are big on the interactive toys. They like chasing the laser pointer thing and the feather on a fishing pole type thing that you flip around for them to chases. Fred likes mice but only the ones that rattle or he isn't interested.

HunterXHunter
April 22nd, 2007, 08:57 AM
Oh no no no. Why would I regret adopting Bogart because he doesn't like the toys I got him!? hehe

I tried catnip, but he doesn't react to it much. What's most important is that he's no longer in some cage. And like you said chico2, he likes me playing with him, and that's perfectly fine with me too :D

rainbow
April 22nd, 2007, 05:03 PM
HunterXHunter, do you have Hunter in P.E.I. with you and Bogart? You mentioned him in Shamrock's thread but I didn't want to hijack it. :)

HunterXHunter
April 22nd, 2007, 05:13 PM
Ah, no I only have Bogart with me here at the moment, but I'm maybe moving back to Toronto next summer and I'll be back this summer and Christmas so I may not bring Hunter here with me as I probably have mentioned before he gets car sick so I don't want to be flying him back and forth 'cause I dunno what that might do to him

rainbow
April 22nd, 2007, 05:18 PM
Awww....you must miss him. :grouphug: But, thankfully he has your parents for now. :)

Prin
April 23rd, 2007, 12:24 AM
I totally missed this thread! :o :sorry:

Congrats on your new kitty! He's adorable! The oranges are my faves (with the greys...). I hope everything continues to go well.:)

HunterXHunter
April 23rd, 2007, 05:48 AM
:laughing: what are you apologizing for Prin? Must you voice your opinion in *every* thread? :rolleyes: hehe...