Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anyone tried a seatbelt harness setup on a cat?

Diverlady
April 10th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Our new addition is crying when she's in her carrier. Since we'll be doing some travelling with her this summer, I was wondering if one of those harness/seatbelt contraptions would work for her. They seem to be advertised only for dogs though.

Any experiences you can provide would be helpful.

Thanks,

Diverlady

krdahmer
April 10th, 2007, 09:51 AM
I believe that the small dog size does work for cats. I actually rigged up one of my own a few years back before the harnesses came out with a regular harness and the seatbelt. It works great for Buddy on long trips because he likes to look out the windows and see where he is going. Make sure you take a carrier as well though for when you get out or make a stop. Also try out a harness first with a shorter trip to see how the cat reacts, some even though they hate a carrier get very scared by the harness too. And of course the carrier is safest for cats. If you check a big pet store like PetSmart or Petcetera they usually have lots of options for travelling with pets....have fun!

jiorji
April 10th, 2007, 10:19 AM
umm no

never ever strap a cat to anything especially if she doesn't enjoy being outside. SHe will see things out the window(if you're travelling with a car) and she'll squirm and hurt herself and scratch anyone coming in contact with her. Cat carriers were made for a reason. If your cat isn't used to being in a harness then testing it on a long trip is not ideal.

Plus ALL cats cry in their carriers. Less cats like being closed in than the ones that don't. Just let her meow, she'll get tired and go to sleep. It's safer that way

RolandsMom
April 10th, 2007, 11:17 AM
lol. id like to see anyone try that! i think that would make them MAD!!!i know Roland HATES being in his carrier and last time i took him i had to give him a tiny bit of gravol (the vet gave me the right dosage and i gave him half what she said. i hate giving him gravol but it stopped his frantic-ness, now im trying holistic stuff) it gives them a bit of a hangover though.
i am now trying some valerian root, chamomile mix (the kids one with no alcohol) and see if that calmes him rather than the gravol:yuck:
sorry i cant be more help.

LM1313
April 11th, 2007, 11:43 PM
I'm really tempted to try the small dog harness / seatbelt for my cat . . . He absolutely freaks out when he's in the car in the carrier and frantically rolls over and over clawing at the carrier. He also panics and begins to pant and hyperventilate. (At first I thought it was from heat, but he does it in the winter too!) Once I did take him out after the panting started, put him in his kitty harness, and tied the leash tightly to the interior handle of the car (not the part that moves, that one part that you pull the car door shut with, you know?) and it seemed to work well for the short ride home . . .