Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The TJT: place to chat or giant "clique"?

Prin
April 10th, 2007, 02:48 AM
I just was wondering how people felt about the threadjack thread (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=29456). I hope this doesn't start an argument or anything...

I think some people feel left out of it and others are intimidated by its enormous size, and I thought we could use a thread to clear up things about it... :shrug:

To me, the threadjack thread is open to everybody. It's an off-topic place to go to vent, chat, and support each other with (hopefully) no confrontation or controversy. People can (and do) pop in whenever and post about anything (i.e. threadjack). If you feel like you're interrupting a conversation already in progress, just ask for a quick summary and one of the up-to-date tjters will gladly fill you in. Or you can just jump in, post this guy :offtopic: and talk about something completely different.

That's what I get from the tjt.

(poll coming)

RolandsMom
April 10th, 2007, 09:35 AM
i went in there once but it is slightly intimidating just from sheer size. i dont see any problem with it though. i will join in sometime i guess.:)

raingirl
April 10th, 2007, 10:27 AM
i've never went in. didn't see a point.

happycats
April 10th, 2007, 10:28 AM
I pop in once in a while, and must say that although I don't post often I have always been made to feel welcome when I do!
I see nothing wrong with it.

I wish we still had the chat room, that was nice, kind of like an instant TJT:D

brandynva
April 10th, 2007, 11:01 AM
I look at it the same way Prin. Although, it CAN be intimidating, even to someone like me who posts in there whenever I can. But if I don't have a lot of time I don't venture in there usually. Mainly cuz it takes sooooo stinking long for the page to load.

Why don't we have a chat room anymore? That sounds like fun. I guess it would be hard to moderate though...

joeysmama
April 10th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I like the TJT although I haven't participated in quite a while. But I felt very welcome when I did pop in. place. I've just been kind of busy and haven't had time to catch up on what's going on in there.

But I don't have a problem with it. It's like a big old friendly neighborhood place ! Like the pets.ca version of Cheers.:goodvibes:

happycats
April 10th, 2007, 11:22 AM
I
But I don't have a problem with it. It's like a big old friendly neighborhood place ! Like the pets.ca version of Cheers.:goodvibes:

Who should be "Norm" ? :D

jiorji
April 10th, 2007, 11:35 AM
maybe some people don't participate on the TJT because they have better things to do that sit there and make small talk all day....?hehe:o

Frenchy
April 10th, 2007, 12:16 PM
I love the TJT, great place to talk about anything and everything, I talk enough about dogs all day (being in rescue) so it's a great place for me. And the more the merrier, anyone is free to pop in whenever they feel like it,there are no member's fee :laughing:

grand cherokee
April 10th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Who should be "Norm" ? :D

hehe they used to call me that in a local pub in the late 80's lol

Puppyluv
April 10th, 2007, 12:57 PM
I'm not a huge fan of it, for a couple of reasons. I'm not sure if al of theseare still the case, but they certainly were a few months ago.

First, I never liked how if there was a thread X started by a non TJTer, and the thread got heated between that person and a TJTer, the TJTer would proceed to the TJT and make snide remarks about the person, albeit indirectly (no names would be used, but it was always obvious who wa being talked about). I would provide a link to an example, but I don't have tme to sift through the thread. Nor do I want to makean example of any one individual.

Then there's the fact that it's almost 25000 posts long. Scattered throughout these 25000 posts are factoids, announcements, etc. that TJTers refer to all the time in other threads, and the rest of us are just sitting there going huh? :confused: :confused: .

I don't find it intimidating because I was a part of it when it started, but god knows that if I was new, and I went in thereand saw that pretty much the same 10 people dominate the thread, all of whom have fairly strong personalities, I would feel intimidated andleave pretty quickly.

I didn't choose thefirst option because it seems pretty strong. I'm not a fan of it, and I think there are better options to all the stuff that goes on in there, not to mention tht it's probably partially to blame for the slowness of the board, but I'm not as fervent as the :mad: guy.

jiorji
April 10th, 2007, 01:11 PM
well since puppy said it...I will agree that the TJT is a place for a lot of complaining and "god, would you look at that other thread??what a :clown: !!" ...and i may or may not have been part of that and done that, but that's another story :o

although.....newbies have successfully integrated in that thread just fine...brandy and Hazel and Terri all made it ok through the thread and they were/are newbies ;)

so i think it works both ways. But it is a social thread and you can join or not

Maya
April 10th, 2007, 01:51 PM
First, I never liked how if there was a thread X started by a non TJTer, and the thread got heated between that person and a TJTer, the TJTer would proceed to the TJT and make snide remarks about the person, albeit indirectly (no names would be used, but it was always obvious who wa being talked about).

I noticed that too and I've only been in there a few times.

What I also dislike is that when a serious topic goes on for a long time it "runs its course" so there is no balance between the silly and the serious. We are welcomed to chitchat and gossip but if actual discussion or communication starts eventually an end is put to it.

I don't mind if the TJT is there or not though.:shrug: If some people want it I think it should stay for those people who enjoy it.

I didn't vote because the options didn't really fit.

Prin
April 10th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Yeah, the mods modded the comments about other threads pretty heavily so we generally don't talk about things on the board at all anymore.:shrug: It's been a while.

jessi76
April 10th, 2007, 02:11 PM
I voted "it's still snowing"... cause, it is. seriously. I swear to god i'm going to move if it snows anymore....

oh yeah, sorry, um the TJT.... I'm more confused than anything. but that's not totally unlike me, so I'm used to it. I really don't care.

it's still snowing. :confused:

Maya
April 10th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Yeah, the mods modded the comments about other threads pretty heavily so we generally don't talk about things on the board at all anymore. It's been a while. Well thats going a bit far IMO. If I don't like something or I feel hurt by it I can either deal with it or not look at it, i'm a big girl now. Not a fan of censorship.

Rick C
April 10th, 2007, 03:51 PM
I've never looked at it . . . . . therefore its safe to talk about me behind my back in there. Har, har. :thumbs up :eek:

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
April 10th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Ooo good idea Rick! :D :laughing: Just kidding. :D It's nice chatting.

breeze
April 10th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Most of the time I like the TJT
but there are time when you can feel left out and it can be overwelming, thats the time when you just back out and then latter when you feel more comfortable you start joining in again.

TeriM
April 10th, 2007, 05:10 PM
I really like the TJ. I feel it has provided the opportunity to get to know some members better than I would with just the regular threads. I like when different people join in the TJ and would enjoy seeing more new regular faces :) .

Hunter's_owner
April 10th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I really like the TJT. I was also one of those that jumped right in in the middle of it. At first I felt a little overwhelmed, but really liking the small talk of it, I kept going back. Now, like TeriM said, it is a place to get to know the others better:thumbs up

Tommysmom
April 10th, 2007, 08:46 PM
I like the TJT. I don't post much... I'm kinda more of a lurker. But I read it every day, it usually makes me laugh. I suppose I'm a bit intimidated posting there, but that's not the thread, that's more just me - I'm always a bit more shy around people who already know each other. Everybody's always been really friendly when I have posted there :) .

Prin
April 10th, 2007, 08:49 PM
It's the internet though... We don't really know anybody. ;) :D

happycats
April 10th, 2007, 08:53 PM
I like the TJT. I don't post much... I'm kinda more of a lurker. But I read it every day, it usually makes me laugh. I suppose I'm a bit intimidated posting there, but that's not the thread, that's more just me - I'm always a bit more shy around people who already know each other. Everybody's always been really friendly when I have posted there :) .

J just jump right in, eveyone is quite friendly, and welcome newbies to the TJT. the best thing about this place is you can be anyone you want. you don't have to be shy......find your inner Tiger and post away!!!

Skryker
April 10th, 2007, 08:53 PM
I'm a regular TJTer, so I'm probably biased:o -but I like it quite a bit. It's a good place to just chat with others and to kvetch and whine and rant about non-site stuff (and get sympathy and :grouphug:s ). IMO, it's part of the community aspect of the site as a whole.

But I can see where it is intimidating to newcomers to the thread or occasional posters just because of its sheer size. I hope that everyone feels welcome there.

It's sort of a replacement for the "General Chat" areas on other forum sites, and it's handy for stuff you don't want to start an entire thread for in the Off-topic forum. That's my :2cents: . :D

Skryker
April 10th, 2007, 08:56 PM
It's the internet though... We don't really know anybody. ;) :D

True enough! Let's say, "Where people know each other's personae" then, hmm? :laughing: It does seem like walking into the middle of a conversational group at a party, though. :o

Prin
April 10th, 2007, 08:59 PM
So nobody who voted for #1 wants to leave some input?:o

mummummum
April 10th, 2007, 09:06 PM
I like the TJT. I leap in or lurk or don't read it at all ~ whatever suits. I've never been made to feel unwelcome ~ of course I'm so whacked these days maybe I just haven't noticed... :laughing:

It's humanizing and gives me a sense of community to learn about and share some of the non-animal challenges and joys we all face in our lives.

Skryker
April 10th, 2007, 09:57 PM
It's humanizing and gives me a sense of community to learn about and share some of the non-animal challenges and joys we all face in our lives.

Hear, hear!!!

Mocha's mum
April 10th, 2007, 10:21 PM
I like the tjt. 'Cause who wants to start a new thread for a short little 'rhetorical rant' or whatever.

I guess some may find it overwhelming because there's a lot of catch up to do if you haven't checked in in a while (like if your wireless router is being a pain in the arse...:yell: ).

rainbow
April 11th, 2007, 12:42 AM
I'm a regular TJTer, so I'm probably biased:o -but I like it quite a bit. It's a good place to just chat with others and to kvetch and whine and rant about non-site stuff (and get sympathy and :grouphug:s ). IMO, it's part of the community aspect of the site as a whole.

But I can see where it is intimidating to newcomers to the thread or occasional posters just because of its sheer size. I hope that everyone feels welcome there.

It's sort of a replacement for the "General Chat" areas on other forum sites, and it's handy for stuff you don't want to start an entire thread for in the Off-topic forum. That's my :2cents: . :D

I agree....that's how I feel too. :D I hope now that we have a NEW TJT that more people will participate. :o

kathryn
April 11th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Never noticed it untill now, but will likely pop in now and then. I love giant random crap chats. It doesn't bother me if I get ignored unless I'm looking for like a serious opinion or something. But otherwise a big place for rants,chats, random junk and complaints is where I like to hang out.

trippincherri
April 11th, 2007, 12:23 PM
I myself have never posted in the TJT, and if I did I don't remember :D ,
and I have only ever peeked in a handful of times and it is sort of intimidating and I am by no means a shy person.

I agree that yes there are certain people on here that have a very strong presence and that at times I have noticed can be sort of "cliquey" (if thats even a word lol) but I usually just post anyway and if you don't talk to me then I guess you don't talk to me lol.
It is sometimes difficult to feel like I fit in here even though I've been a member for just over a year now.

I will probably stay away from the TJT just because I always have and that suits me fine but I don't think it should be taken away from those of you who enjoy it.

happycats
April 11th, 2007, 01:06 PM
It is sometimes difficult to feel like I fit in here even though I've been a member for just over a year now.

Don't feel bad , look how long I have been here and there are days I don't feel I fit in either. :o

Lukka'sma
April 11th, 2007, 01:13 PM

Oh, I for one really enjoy reading your posts. Keep talking please

Schwinn
April 11th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I didn't answer any of them, because I do think it's a bit "clique-y", but I don't think it should be gone, and I don't hate polls.:D

Meh, that's the way boards evolve sometimes. But just because certain threads feel "clique-y", I don't think they should be eliminated. If it is a bit clique-y, it's because certain members use it, so there's a need for that aspect. I can choose to participate or not, so I don't think it needs to be eliminated.

But don't talk about me, because I look in once in a while! ;) (I'll let you know, Rick...)

Shamrock
April 11th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Well, not all who feel its a giant clique would necessarily agree it should be gone?:confused:

I voted "looks like fun". I dont TJT, and rarely ever look in on it.
But think it's a great option for those who like it and use it.:) There are clearly a lot of positive benefits and enjoyment derived from it by some members and that can only be a good thing.

The massive size of it "is" daunting to some, no doubt. It's huge success has in itself brought a bit of a drawback. From the "outside looking in" - the sheer number of posts can appear pretty intimidating.
Like coming in to the middle on a conversation, where you feel you've lost too much of what was "on the table" to ever catch up with the group,

I think this thread to clarify how it works, what's it all about.. is a great idea, as was starting a new TJT. This may well encourage others to take this opportunity to join in.:highfive:

And as suggested, - beginning a brand new one every so often offers fresh incentive to newbies or even oldies. Maybe each new month.. or at 10K...
This keeps the size less formidable looking, and offers hesitant members a clean slate.. a brand new "starting point" to kick things off. :thumbs up

Lukka'sma
April 11th, 2007, 05:31 PM
I never look at the tjt. I just can't be bothered reading it all to catch up on the every day happenings of members lives. I wish it would be replaced by a chat room though.

rainbow
April 11th, 2007, 07:15 PM
And as suggested, - beginning a brand new one every so often offers fresh incentive to newbies or even oldies. Maybe each new month.. or at 10K...

I've been saying that for a while now but nobody listens to me. :yell: :laughing:

Frenchy
April 11th, 2007, 08:24 PM
I've been saying that for a while now but nobody listens to me. :yell: :laughing:

:laughing: we do listen Rainbow , let's try and do it :thumbs up

oh and for those who think they have to read it all, you don't have to try and keep up, it's called The thread jackthread for a reason, you can just jump in and say what you want to say ! :shrug:

Prin
April 11th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Well, a new one has started, so feel free to jump in! :D

Everybody fits in... I mean, we're all so different that nobody fits so everybody fits. :D

LynLyn
April 12th, 2007, 03:03 AM
I have officially joined the threadjack thread!! whoohoo!

i_have_too_many
April 12th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I didnt vote because my choice would have been between the first two.

I first thought it was a neat idea, but because I was not around when it started I always felt out of place. For instance, I would post something, either a new topic or a response, and everone would just ignore me :sad: That did not feel very welcoming, so I stopped posting anything.

I will follow the new TJT as long as I know what is going on. I dont know the backgrounds on the members so following stories is sometimes difficult, especially when I can only get on maybe once a day. :fingerscr

Prin
April 12th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Aww. :grouphug: That happens to everybody sometimes. :o You just have to complain about it.:D That's what some people do... Like "So nobody cares about the General Lee?" ;)

brandynva
April 12th, 2007, 03:22 PM
I didnt vote because my choice would have been between the first two.

I first thought it was a neat idea, but because I was not around when it started I always felt out of place. For instance, I would post something, either a new topic or a response, and everone would just ignore me :sad: That did not feel very welcoming, so I stopped posting anything.

I will follow the new TJT as long as I know what is going on. I dont know the backgrounds on the members so following stories is sometimes difficult, especially when I can only get on maybe once a day. :fingerscr

I know how you feel. I felt that way when I first came here. I think it's just a matter of persistance. I just pester people enough until they can't ignore me. :laughing: But it's okay if they still want to... :shrug:

i_have_too_many
April 12th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Gorsh, gee Prin, :o At least someone cares about the General Lee.

Prin
April 12th, 2007, 03:28 PM
lol I know more people do too, it's been brought up before (he? or it? :D), that's why you can't take it personally. They just missed it. :shrug:

Rick C
April 12th, 2007, 04:18 PM
But don't talk about me, because I look in once in a while! ;) (I'll let you know, Rick...)

My spies are everywhere . . . . :angel:

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca