Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Other kitten Questions

sixcats
April 10th, 2007, 01:39 AM
My cat had kittens March 29th. I just have a few questions since I'm new at this.
*When can we start holding/petting them more? I keep reading that they need interaction with people so they are friendly with people. Plus it helps stimulate learning.
*When can I spay, neuter them and the mother? Do they offer discounts, because I'm pretty broke.
*When they start walking should I remove one wall of the box so they can get in and out?? Or does mom take them in and out?
I'm sure I'll have more questions, but for now this is some things on my mind.
Thanks.

sixcats
April 10th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Ok, so my cat just had kittens. I know once she weans them she can get pregnant. but while she's nursing is she ok? I plan to get her fixed as soon as they are weaned. I'm scared cuz the boy who got her pregnant lives outside our apt.

clm
April 10th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Make sure you keep her in until you can afford to get her fixed. You can check with your local Humane society to see if they have spay/neuter clinics at a lower cost.

Cindy

sixcats
April 10th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Thank you, I will look into that further. What about the other questions I asked. When do I get them fixed? Can she get pregnant while nursing? And when can we start interacting with the kittens more?

clm
April 10th, 2007, 01:19 PM
As soon as mom is comfortable with you around the kittens, you can interact with them, just don't interrupt their feeding, sleeping or grooming times with mom.
I don't know how soon a cat will come into season, but I wouldn't let her back outside until she's fixed.
I don't know how old the kittens have to be for their first shots either, so you might want to check with your vet on that.

Cindy

Maya
April 10th, 2007, 04:29 PM
She can come back into heat within a few days of giving birth. I wouldn't let her outside because she could pick something up and pass it to the kittens if she is not up to date on her shots. Also you don't want her to get hurt before she is done nursing. I'm guessing after about 4 or five weeks you could handle them, I think it also depends on if it upsets momma or the kittens. You kind of have to feel it out and take it slow IMO. I like the explanation about socialization and weaning in this article but i'm sure there are many different opinions. Some vets spay/neuter as young as 6-8 weeks but if your vet doesn't usually do it that young I would wait because it is a bit different.

Well-socialized cats are more likely to have well-socialized kittens. Kittens "feed" off of their mothers' calm or fearful attitude toward people. Although feeding time is important, it's also vital to include petting, talking and playing in order to build good "people-skills" in your kitten.

Kittens are usually weaned at six or seven weeks, but may continue to suckle for comfort as their mother gradually leaves them more and more. Orphaned kittens, or those weaned too soon, are more likely to exhibit inappropriate suckling behaviors later in life. Ideally, kittens should stay with their littermates (or other role-model cats) for at least 12 weeks.

Kittens orphaned or separated from their mother and/or littermates too early often fail to develop appropriate "social skills," such as learning how to send and receive signals, what an "inhibited bite" means, how far to go in play-wrestling and so forth. Play is important for kittens because it increases their physical coordination, social skills and learning limits. By interacting with their mother and littermates kittens learn "how to be a cat," as well as explore the ranking process ("who's in charge").

Kittens that are handled 15 to 40 minutes a day during the first seven weeks are more likely to develop larger brains. They're more exploratory, more playful and are better learners. Skills not acquired during the first eight weeks may be lost forever. While these stages are important and fairly consistent, a cat's mind remains receptive to new experiences and lessons well beyond kitten-hood. Most cats are still kittens, in mind and body, through the first two years.

The following chart provides general guidelines for the stages of development.Rest of article:http://www.wsbtv.com/entertainment/10869755/detail.html