Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Moving Kittens

sixcats
April 10th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Our cat just had kittens (4 of them) March 29th, so they are only 12 days old. We came home tonight from work and the babies weren't in their box. We live in a tiny apartment with no privacy. She put them in about as quite a spot as possible, but on the cold bare floor. I moved their box over there, and put them in it, but I'm still concerned it may be too cold of an area. Should I move the box. It was in a rather public place, but it was warmer. The only other place I have for them is the bedroom, but there is no heater in there so on cold days it is really cold. I've just kept the door shut so she doesn't take them in there. Please help! Thank you.

badger
April 10th, 2007, 01:54 AM
I was going to suggest a heating pad but it is too risky with kittens so young, particularly if you are away during the day. Have you got something stuffed with down, a down vest or a sleeping bag? Down is very cosy, as are those cheap fleece blankets.
Don't worry too much. If the mother is spending most of her time with them, she is also a source of heat. Moving kittens around seems to be pretty common, maybe a throw-back to when they lived in the wild and had to be worried about predators.
But you're right to keep her out of unheated areas, if she is a first-time mother, she might be a little clueless.
You're in for some fun, four kittens in a tiny apartment, hee-hah!
I don't know how she got pregnant but please get her fixed before it happens again. Females can be spayed quite soon after giving birth. Once the kittens are eating solid food, she'll be ready.

sixcats
April 10th, 2007, 12:34 PM
You relieved some of my worries. We started feeding her when we moved in here back in August. She had been abandoned. I had just started doing some research to find out where I could get her fixed for less, but it was too late and now we have four little kitties. Thankfully we have good homes for all of them when they're ready.