Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Beef soup bones - safe?

Tommysmom
April 9th, 2007, 10:15 PM
My sister gave us some beef soup bones that the butcher made for them when they ordered half a cow or something. She's had them in the freezer for a while and said to boil them and then give them to the dog. So, I admit it, I don't cook, LOL. How long do I boil them for? Are they really safe for the dog to chew on? I know some bones are bad and some are ok, how do I even know what kind of bones these are? They're not overly huge, but then neither is Tommy, lol. I'm such a worried little dog mom after all he's been through, so I just wanted to make sure these are safe for him.

x.l.r.8
April 9th, 2007, 11:12 PM
With bones it's safe to assume to never ever ever give cooked bones no matter what animal it came from. The soup bones are usually the weight bearing bones, and they are the ones to not give. Having said that, it's also a matter of supervision and knowing your dog. If he's a power licker rather than a power chewer you could supervise and take the bone away before they get right into it. I would take the marrow out first as that can give them the splats.
But really I would not recommend that type if bone as it cam easilly be as dense as teeth and end up chipping or breaking one. You would be better with some pork hocks with the skin removed or a shoulder joint bone, beef necks or pork necks are also good chew toys.
But cooked, no! It's not worth it, you risk forther damage to teeth, but if he manages to break a bit off, it won't digest and could easily cause internal damage/blockage.

technodoll
April 9th, 2007, 11:15 PM
i agree... not worth the risk IMO :dog:

Tommysmom
April 9th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Thanks, guys! I'd rather waste the bones than risk my pup. Hmmmm... soup bones... maybe I'll try to make actual soup from them instead, LOL. Thanks for the info!

Prin
April 10th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't risk them raw or cooked with Tommy... :o Soup it is! :D

x.l.r.8
April 10th, 2007, 11:44 AM
? make tommy soup, just boil them up, you can keep some aside for yourself and give the boy a good drink:thumbs up