Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why do vets sell Iams,Hills etc?????

heidiho
April 9th, 2007, 08:46 PM
I dont understand being as those foods are bad,why do our vets sell them?? Arent they the ones who knows what is best and good and bad??So why does every vet office push these products?

clm
April 9th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Been bugging me for a long time too. I'll have to go back to the vet with the new pup and one cat is due for shots in May, I'm going to ask. I love my vets, but the one partner is always pushing this food and I'm tired of it. I'm sure they're making a fair mark up on each bag they sell, likely got a lot to do with it, but I'm taking a bag of Orijen with me this time. I'll be interested in what he has to say about it.

Cindy

heidiho
April 9th, 2007, 09:21 PM
I have been wondering for awhile to,but never ask,i just cant see a vet selling that stuff cause they get a kick back or something,i mean vets love animals so why wouldnt they sell the good food instead?/Let me know what your vet says i am so curious.....

Frenchy
April 9th, 2007, 09:33 PM
It's the same for doctors who will prescribe certains meds ... $$$$$ . I once read some cat/dog food companies have funds to help vets thru school, as long as when they graduate, they will tell their customers to buy this or that type of food. Vets don't really study food, they study care. So they don't know too much about food. My vet is :confused: about me giving my dogs veggies and fruits , he think I should stick to kibble only :shrug:

heidiho
April 9th, 2007, 09:44 PM
I just cant believe it is all of them,yet i cant recall any vet office i have ever been in that didnt sell that stuff,i guess $$$$ talks...

Frenchy
April 9th, 2007, 09:52 PM
i guess $$$$ talks...

yes and s*** walks :laughing: but really, most vets don't know any better. Sometimes I talk about things to my vet and he needs to look it up to understand what I'm talking about ! Like for Bailey, he was heartworm positive when I adopted him. Went to 2 vets who had to call the vet's university to tell me how to treat him :confused: and one got a wrong answer :mad: Or 4-5 years ago, when I told my vets rabbies shots shouldn't be giving every year. He didn't agreed with me. Now he does. :shrug:

clm
April 9th, 2007, 10:03 PM
My vet still hassles me about the rabies shot thing. Honestly, it's in the animals interest not to over vacinate. Not in the vets pocket interest though. Somebody has to pay for that Hummer grocery getter. :laughing:

Cindy

sissani
April 9th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Vets don't really study food, they study care. So they don't know too much about food. My vet is :confused: about me giving my dogs veggies and fruits , he think I should stick to kibble only :shrug:

Maybe they dont get real into it in vet school, but is that really an excuse? Personally if I were a vet and people were relying on my knowledge to keep their pets alive and healthy, I would at least do my own side research so I know I am giving accurate advice to pet parents... I think its just lazy and ignorant (not to mention irresponsible as a vet) to take the sales rep's word for it when they say their food is the best.

How is it fair that after I spend only a few days researching food and dog nutrition, I know more than my vet? :mad:

technodoll
April 9th, 2007, 11:14 PM
How is it fair that after I spend only a few days researching food and dog nutrition, I know more than my vet?

yeah, i know how you feel... and even worse is when they try to make you feel like a bad parent for thinking differently than they do, you're a danger to your pet if you don't feed Hills or Purina, you are wrong, etc... despite all the educated research you've done and how well your pet is doing on the diet you selected :eek: :frustrated:

Prin
April 10th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Well, they're told that the food helps for certain conditions... And they're given lots of "studies" to back it up. :sad:

Maya
April 10th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Yes this is upsetting. It really bothers me too when I see the fancy cars parked outside the vet office I used to go to. When my cat was not wanting to eat the Medi-cal wet the receptionist was quite rude and just said I shouldn't give him the Medi-cal kibble because its like feeding potato chips and "who wouldn't want potato chips all the time".:confused: I thought well why would the kibble be that much worse. I thought it must be way better than supermarket stuff since I was paying so much:sad: I wasn't very educated at the time but with explanations like that who wouldn't get on the defensive? Live and learn the hard way I guess. I gave him eggs and tuna as well when I could but I know he would have done so much better with something else at no higher cost.

[edit] and when I asked the vet about it he said it was fine.:frustrated:

mafiaprincess
April 10th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I got the 'other' vet in December.. and he was a **** to me.. Told me that all my hours of dog food research were useless and I was uninformed. Pulled out the hills book and I laughed. He got meaner actually...

And then I had to prove the AAHA guidelines of DHPP had changed and he was to uniformed to have looked at it..

I paid 60 bucks to be treated like dog poop... We'll see when cider needs something next and I book an appointment at the clinic I used for HW if it's a much better appt. HW was..

Bloodwork for a full panel when Cider was sick. They stuck her 3 times, collapsed 2 veins, Cider was so so scared.. frig.

Purpledomino
April 10th, 2007, 05:36 PM
I wonder about this all the time. Whenever I am discussing anything even remotely to do with dog nutrition with my veterinarian who by the way, is excellent, I am evasive and feel guilty about what I feed my dogs. I did however switch temporarily to MediCal Gastro canned for my Minpin who had an emergency a few weeks ago, and landed in hospital with some kind of poisoning (thankfully recovered). I am presently still weaning her off the bland diet, and reintroducing her regular Innova EVO, trying to avoid the squirts again. I can understand how vets can recommend certain diets to help an animal recover, or ease a medical condition, but I cannot agree that crap like Hills and Science Diet be pushed for healthy animals. I also think they should be doing more nutritional studies before they can recommend diets for pets in their care.

SableCollie
April 10th, 2007, 07:40 PM
1.) They make profit off selling the foods. And the high-quality foods don't sell through vet's offices, I think Hills/Purina/Euk/MediCal have a monoply on the vet offices. In addition, these are the only brands that really make "prescription diets" formulated to help with specific health conditions.
2.) They seriously don't know any better. The nutrition courses in vet school are usually one day, if that, and Hills will sometimes send someone out to the vet schools to help "teach" the students, using a Hills Nutrition text book!

I would like to think that if vets actually knew how crappy these foods are, they would not sell them. I have a friend in vet school, and I am always showing her the labels of foods and how gross vet foods are.

I'm really lucky that both vets I have gone to have been very open-minded about what I feed my dog. I didn't even get any dire death warnings when i told them I cooked for my dog.

kiara
April 15th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Sorry to say that this sounds like "Vet bashing", but my opinion is that they studied for 7 years to become vets and I think that they know about pet nutrition and food ingredients. That's why they recommend these products because they are there to help your pet, not to "poison it". A lot of pet food has ingredients that keep your pet healthy and that's why your vet. recommends it. It also saves you money by not seeing the vet. as often. I think that foods purchaed at other stores may not be of good quality and it has all kinds of fillers in it.

Prin
April 15th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Seven years? The vet school here is 5 years and that includes the residency. And how much of that is nutrition? One 3 credit course.

LL1
April 15th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Why not try a holistic vet?

Maxine
April 15th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Hi Kiara, welcome to the board!! I am sorry to say that I really don't agree with you, and I think you'll be able to find lots of informations about dog foods in the food forum! I hope it will help you to educate yourself as much as it did for me!! We'd love to see some pics of your pets too!! :goodvibes:

Maxine

technodoll
April 15th, 2007, 07:40 PM
kiara, see you are the exact kind of perfect "victim" the petfood companies and vets adore.. you believe their hype and buy into the propaganda. but here we will set you free, LOL! please cruise the food forum and you will see a whole other world of what a good petfood really is, and how to find one. If the vet sells it, chances are it is crap food, full of fillers, byproducts, chemicals, etc. sad, but true. :o

Flipgirl
April 16th, 2007, 11:26 AM
I think that we as dog owners, owe it to our pets to do the research and while consult your vet on health issues, don't be gullible just because he is a doctor. In this day and age, doctors, whether for humans or pets, endorse products for their own profit. I'm sure there are some but I think we are intelligent and we obviously care enough for our dogs to give them the best we can. So I believe that doing research, going on to forums such as this one, where you read about other's pets' experiences, and knowing your pet are the best tools you can use to give your dog the best nutrition. It's frustrating yes when you see these so-called experts tell you that Iams and Hills' is a good dog food but they probably don't even feed their pets that food! But they know that many people will buy into their knowledge. I'm not saying they don't have knowledge, just that don't buy into what they say just because they're doctors. Personally, I have given my dog both natural and the commercial dog treats and she reacts differently to both...the only reason being is my mom has adopted her as her only grandchild and buys her every dog treat in the supermarket! I prefer the natural treats and holistic dog food - read the label. I read the label on that Cesar's stuff and it's disgusting what they have in it.

raingirl
April 16th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I asked my vet about this and she told me it's because nutrition isn't really taught in school (and she went to Guelph!) There is only one manditory course on it, which is only a half course, and it teaches ALL animal nutrition, and doesn't go into detail about pet food at all.

Lise
April 17th, 2007, 11:15 AM
My girls on on raw,since I switched them from commercial dry none of them has had upset stomachs.I give variety of meat/bone,yoghurt,fruits veggies,eggs etc. They look great ,eat well and my vet doesn't argue with what works.I think a lot of people buy from the vets,because they can't really be bothered to research what their dogs need nutrionally and don't want to feel guilty for feeding their dogs junk.It's much easier to fill a bowl of dry food or open a can than actually put some effort into feeding a dog properly.

technodoll
April 17th, 2007, 11:41 AM
It's much easier to fill a bowl of dry food or open a can than actually put some effort into feeding a dog properly.

and that is why the petfood companies thrive... as do the fast-food franchises that litter our neighborhoods and highways :sad: :sick: