Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Safe usage of moth balls in home with a cat?

nanak
April 9th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I'm new to your site today and I can tell I am really going to love being a member. :goodvibes: I have a problem right off, that I hope you can help me with. I need to use some moth balls in my home, but I know they can be very,very toxic to animals. Does anyone know if the balls are used properly in a bedroom closet, is it safe for my cat as long as he never even goes into that room? I know that they emit an odor that can be dangerous, but from what I read, Beck,my cat, would have to be in the same room to breath any odors. And also, I no longer have small children in the home, so there is no danger of them accidentally letting Beck in the bedroom, or of them getting hurt themselves. I, as a fairly new cat owner, could really use the advise of some more experienced cat lovers and owners. Thanks,Nanak

Stacer
April 9th, 2007, 07:40 PM
I personally wouldn't use mothballs at all in the home with children or pets. I've heard that fumes from mothballs can damage a cat's liver. Mothballs are made of some pretty toxic stuff.:sick: Maybe try cedar wood chips to repel the moths. There's gotta be healthier alternatives to mothballs out there.

clm
April 9th, 2007, 08:06 PM
I wouldn't use them either. I don't think the fumes are any better for humans than they are for pets too.

Cindy

raingirl
April 10th, 2007, 01:18 PM
cedar planks do the same thing. you can get ones to hang in your closet or put in drawers - works well.

rainbow
April 11th, 2007, 01:50 AM
I agree. Use the cedar instead. :)