Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is your golden a show off?

Ford Girl
April 9th, 2007, 11:59 AM
My golden is such a show off! I am pretty sure it's a golden trait. Any funny stories out there? Here's one from yesterday...

Dazy and I walked to Zellars yesterday, we do this every Sunday, as it's seniors day and I like to socialize her with seniors, gets her use to the walkers, chairs, petting, and oggling...she also gets to practice her manners and do a few tricks. Both her and the approaching shoppers seem to love it.

So we walk up to the entrace and we sit and wait for the seniors to come and go shopping...she saw this couple coming, and without a cue from me she go in to a down position and does 2 "roll overs" in a row, let's out a howl and as they approach she hi-fives them!!! (Dirty paws and all) Cracks me up! :clown:

I can't wait to start agility when she's a year old, I think she will love the attention they get while in the ring.

Frenchy
April 9th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Bailey seem like he's posing when he pees :laughing: back legs all stretched out !

TMac
April 9th, 2007, 12:22 PM
..only when there is a) food involved, or b) a tennis ball involved.

For example, if there is a treat forthcoming to a group of dogs that Toby is with, he'll be the first down/up/sit/shake/double-hi-five before the other dogs even get a chance to say "huh? oh look, there's a treat coming!".

As for the tennis ball, he has to be the first dog to the ball, no matter what. Even if it means racing (and beating) the fastest border collie in the neighbourhood. I sometimes think he'd be good at flyball but he's only super fast 'getting' the ball and is pretty slow coming back. :shrug:

Frenchy
April 9th, 2007, 07:21 PM
and is pretty slow coming back. :shrug:

Cuz he actually brings it back to you ? Mine don't , rather lay down with it and destroy the ball ! :shrug:

Furbaby Momma
April 9th, 2007, 07:44 PM
My three Goldens and my Chocolate Lab are all show offs....and I truly love it. :cloud9:

Frenchy
April 9th, 2007, 08:00 PM
My three Goldens and my Chocolate Lab are all show offs....and I truly love it. :cloud9:

:offtopic: so you should show them off a little bit more , we don't get to see them enough :sad:

Furbaby Momma
April 9th, 2007, 08:09 PM
I would love to share the picture that is in my avatar. :cloud9:

Frenchy
April 9th, 2007, 08:16 PM
:offtopic: this picture is just dreamy :cloud9: I remember now , you have all the colours of the rainbow , I mean doggy rainbow :p

Furbaby Momma
April 9th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Yes it is me, the lady that wakes up every morning and goes to bed each night with always being surrounded by a fur rainbow....:love:

Thank You for remembering me Frenchy. :lovestruck:

Frenchy
April 9th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Yes it is me, the lady that wakes up every morning and goes to bed each night with always being surrounded by a fur rainbow....:love:

That's the life :cloud9: I actually call the dogs when they don't sleep on the bed :laughing: Sam is always there for me. Bailey needs to be coaxed !

Ford Girl
April 10th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Dazy doesn't retrieve at all, nore does she care for the water. We call her a Doberman in a golden fur coat! LOL! Oh, she runs after the ball, and runs right past it. Hopefully these traits will develope as she matures. And if not, we will love her anyways.

Post more pics, those ones are beautiful, I can't get enough gold...gold gold and more gold...it's amazing how they range in shades from red to golden to white...

TMac
April 10th, 2007, 04:45 PM
oh my gosh, Furbaby Momma - I love that fur rainbow. Please do post more photos!!! Can't get enough retrievers on here in my opinion!! :lovestruck:

Frenchy - yep he does bring it back, but we're talking about 1/4 speed - almost a fast walk rather than a run. Oh well!

FordGirl, there is still hope for Dazy! Maybe introduce a little competition and she'll get the picture! :laughing:

Frenchy
April 10th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Post more pics, those ones are beautiful, I can't get enough gold...gold gold and more gold...it's amazing how they range in shades from red to golden to white...

I think I must have posted this one a gazillion times.....

TMac
April 10th, 2007, 08:21 PM
:offtopic: Here's for you, FordGirl!! More Gold!

This was a team of Retrievers (plus a few wanna-be retrievers ;) ) that got together to raise funds for a local rescue's walk a thon.

My Toby is the one with his tongue hanging out (bottom left) - naturally :o
His buddies are Zuri (the swimmer in the bottom row) Zack, and Indiana (the couple in the middle).

Enjoy! :cloud9:

Furbaby Momma
April 11th, 2007, 05:38 AM
Thank You so much for your compliments of my wonderful Retrievers. Frenchy that picture just makes me want to jump in the middle and cuddle bug with all of them in the bed. :cloud9:
TMac Toby is gorgeous, you are amazing to help raise funds for a rescue all the dogs in your pictures are so beautiful, I love the smile on the the pretty Pitt Bulls face. :cloud9:
FordGirl the seniors must of been so happy to get some loving from your sweet Dazy. :cloud9:

Spirit
April 11th, 2007, 11:15 AM
It's definitely a golden thing.

I used to think my dog was cute (don't we all?) until people started going on and on about his personality. Even people who own his siblings sometimes gush at his cuteness. My boy is Mr Personality, and he is anything but boring. Especially when he throws his toys down the stairs just to watch them bounce. Or throws them into the fireplace, just to watch my reaction (this is one of those annoying habits that I love to hate, or hate to love?).

Yesterday at work, he was napping and a customer came in. He rolled over onto his back (spread eagle) and cocked his head at her. When she said hello to him, he started thumping his tail on the floor, but he would NOT get up to greet her (he usually gets up and goes to greet everyone who walks in the door). He just lay there, occasionally wiggling (flat on his back, legs flopped to the side) with this huge smile on his face. She came over, gave him a belly rub, then went on with her business. A few minutes later, we heard him bark softly. We looked around the corner to see what he was barking at, and he was still flat on his back... the tail started going again, and then he caught sight of a toy. He PUSHED off with his back legs (still on his back) to get the toy, grabbed it, and repeated the "on his back wiggle, tail thumping" thing.

I'm a pittie lover... Always wanted a pitbull. But some of these goldens just blow me away with their cuteness. They really are in their own league. And ALL of them are show offs. lol

SARAH
April 11th, 2007, 11:19 AM
My two retrievers (pure Golden and mix Duck Toller) do not retrieve :) the run and catch but stay where they are and chew the "prey". Great help :laughing:

Sheba (Golden) has only one show-off trick, but it never fails to impress people when they see that big dog sitting pretty :)

coppperbelle
April 11th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Ummm they are not born knowing how to retrieve, they have to be taught. It is easier to teach a retriever than another breed because it is instinctual but they still need instruction. :) All my retrievers know how to retrieve because it is one of the first things I teach them.
I can't say that mine are show offs but they do love to meet new people.

breeze
April 11th, 2007, 08:15 PM
I don't have a golden but my Bernesse is a show off

Ford Girl
April 12th, 2007, 01:18 PM
We started playing fetch when we first got her, she gets it - just doesn't care to do it over and over, like some dogs who are ball crazy, even with hand fulls of chicken weiners, she knows what we want, you can tell she knows. :) She will bring it back when we are inside, but we head out doors and at best, she will run after it and run right by it or sit and chew it until we catch up to her. I am not worried about it at all. My trainer said the return might come with age. She's the same with water, she goes ankle deep and retreats to dry land, even with lots of other dogs swimming in the water. We play with a golden pup the same age who never tires of fetch and swims like a fish, they are just different that way I guess, like people.

Beautiful pictures! Thanks to everyone for posting. 4 dogs on a bed!!! I too would like to take a nap in the middle of them all.

Spirit
April 12th, 2007, 04:07 PM
My retriever also doesn't fetch. When we go dog walking, I'll throw a stick or the ball and all 8 or 9 dogs will bark and go charging after it (who gets it first!), and my little guy just stands there smiling like a dummy. "Look ma! Look at them run!"

I've tried every method I know of to teach him how to retrieve, with no luck. He WILL bring me something though (if I ask him to go get it and give it to me), but retrieving is a completely different game. Especially outside. There's more interesting things to do than chase a stupid ball (like chase a leaf blowing in the wind, then run away with it). :frustrated: