Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

whining/barking

BusterBoo
April 8th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Well...Buster has managed to p@@s me off tonight! He has gotten into the habit of constant barking/whining and it is driving everyone nuts! It's not like he wants or needs anything, he just sits there and whines/barks. You can play with him, feed him, put him out....he still barks/whines. I know he just wants attention, but unfortunately I can't be amusing him 24/7.

tonight was bad....really bad.....company for supper and we couldn't sit and enjoy (or at least I couldn't).

What can I do to stop him??? Please don't say ignore....that doesn't work with him......I have ignored until I can't stand it and he still barks/whines. Hubby is definitely at the end of his rope....

~michelle~
April 8th, 2007, 09:32 PM
hmmm planned ignoring was the only thing i could think of and usung the quiet command and only giving him affection and treats when he is quiet. maybe during highstress times for now (ie meal time with company) you can put him in a separate room.
does he have a toy he esp loves i know a Peanut butter stffed king usually amuses the dogs enough that they leave me alone for a while

mafiaprincess
April 8th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Because you have paid attention to him as he whines and cries, it will take even longer to break your dog of it.
If everytime you came up to me I gave you a dollar.. and I decided one day to no longer give you a dollar for coming up to me, you'd try everything to figure out what would now get you that dollar. It's called an extinction burst. You'd flail, scream spazz do everything to try to figure out what works.

Your dog is doing the same. He's young, and it's going to take time.. you need to ignore it, and sadly it'll get worse and once he's had that extinction burst, it should be better, but only if you ignore.

BusterBoo
April 9th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Most of the barking is directed towards Harley, who ends up snarling and then it escalates.

Yes Buster is a spoiled rotten puppy......but somehow, quickly, I need to fix that.

pacemaker
April 10th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Don't know if I'm to late with this post, but anyway, Our 9 month old dog has started to develope her voice, which in a lot of instances is fine, Woof ("My ball has rolled under the lounge, can you get it for me?") or woof "how about a game". Sometimes though, she goes over the top & despite what we we do, she still carries on. If she does this, we tell her "No". We know that she understands what we are trying to do, because she then uses a much quieter bark. "No" again & usually she stops and finds something else to amuse herself (or us). However there are times, especially with visitors, and when she wants to be the center of attention, that she pushes the boundaries, and the "No" would not work. At this point we then take her by the collar and put her outside the room, for about 10 minutes, and then let her back in. We do not look at her for a short while, but let her find a spot where she will usually lay down. We will keep doing this until she the realises that if she behaves, she can stay in. When we take her out of the room, we always say "Outside" (not really outside, just another part of the house). It has got to the point, that if she continues to misbehave, and does not repond to "No" then just saying "outside" to her will usually quieten her down. I do not want to stop her from vocalising, and mostly it just a couple of barks, but like all youngsters, sometimes they just don't know when to shut up!

BusterBoo
April 10th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! Pacemaker....I think I will try your way for a bit and see if that works, since ignoring doesn't work for Buster. Hubby just HATES the noise and ends up "arguing" with Buster which makes it worse because I know Buster figures he can win the arguement. I never had this problem with just one dog, Harley was easy to train, barks only when someone is at the door, or when he wants out or food or water. My little Buster is definitely the instigator in all the noise! When I am in my office, usually the two dogs are with me and Harley is quite happy to lay under the desk. So now, when Buster starts annoying Harley (or me) I make him leave the office and he will sit outside the door, quietly complaining.

Buster really does have bad manners :mad: and I know that is my fault. Time for some serious training.......:rolleyes:

SableCollie
April 10th, 2007, 01:37 PM
I cannot stand constant barking...and I am in a kennel all day long. I just recently started training for quiet. I have no idea why it took me so long to do this! I use a clicker, which I got at a pet store really cheap. I introduce each dog to the clicker by clicking and then immediately popping a small treat in their mouth. They learn really quickly that click=treat. When I am in the kennels, I will have the clicker and tiny tiny pieces of yummy treats with me and I will click the dogs for being quiet. Some dogs only stop barking to take a breath, I just click right on that breath (gotta be quick!) and treat. After a while, the dogs understand that quiet earns treats, and then I begin waiting for longer periods of silence before clicking. (moving very slowly...first 1 second of silence, then 2, then 4, then 6....if they start barking again, I know I am moving to fast). After a while I can start asking for a sit or down, if they know it, and click for sitting or lying quietly. Once the initial work is done, I only have to do maintenance clicks every few days or so.
Sometimes dogs bark because they are bored, and giving them something to do, like a kong stuffed with food, or a short training session or walk will help them settle down.
My dog barks at the neighbors outside. The yard is bordered on 3 sides by our neighbor's yards, and Sable, being a collie, feels she has to bark at the neighbors every time they go out in the yard. The easiest thing to stop her is just for me to call her to come back in the house. She comes running in, and then I just shut the door. The neighbor kids are jerks who tease her through the fence, so it's best to just bring her inside.

muskokapuss
April 10th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Well...Buster has managed to p@@s me off tonight! He has gotten into the habit of constant barking/whining and it is driving everyone nuts! It's not like he wants or needs anything, he just sits there and whines/barks. You can play with him, feed him, put him out....he still barks/whines. I know he just wants attention, but unfortunately I can't be amusing him 24/7.

tonight was bad....really bad.....company for supper and we couldn't sit and enjoy (or at least I couldn't).

What can I do to stop him??? Please don't say ignore....that doesn't work with him......I have ignored until I can't stand it and he still barks/whines. Hubby is definitely at the end of his rope....

My dog USED to be a usually quiet dog...then she came home from the kennel, (where they almost killed her) and now she barks and howls (think, loud mornful coyote/wolf howl)...it's been driving me absolutely crazy :mad: :frustrated: , My hubby and I did have her trained to follow a speak command and a "quiet" command, and yeah she sometimes completely ignored the "quiet" command, but more often than not she was pretty good...then we got her home from the kennel, and after first thinking she wasn't our dog (we had her chip read at our vet's just to make sure) we finally figured out that she had been abused big time, either poisoned/beaten, or as our vet suspect's..both. Anyway to make a long story even more long....we have started the very slow and painful process of retraining her with the "speak" and "quiet" commands...now you have to understand she is a 9 1/2 year old Rottweiler who has the energy of a puppy and has had since day one...but we did manage to train her to be quiet with hand signals and Oh so many treat's!!!...and so now we start again, I know for myself ignoring is just not an option, however I am not prepared to show her constant affection 24/7 either, the quiet/speak commands have been litereally a family saver, and now that she is getting better from her "kennel from hell" experience she is coming around again, although there are days when she still seems like all her training just dropped right out of her head. Believe me if I can figure out how to do this command and treat regimine, you can, because I have never in all my life owned a dog before Stinker, in fact I am a major Cat person and have been since I was young....but since she is a part of the family and she did adopt me 8 years ago as Mom and I can't stand to hear her bark/whine/howl constantly it's kind of put me in a no win situation if I didn't take matter's into my own hands....look into it, it's not too hard to find, (I found my training regimine in a book, pretty much a "dog training for dummies", because I literally had NO prior experience with dog ownership) Look for a good training manual, (maybe even something geared to your breed of dog either at you local pet story/library/or online) good luck hon!!! :goodvibes: :goodvibes: believe me I know exactly what you are going through!!

puss:cat:

BusterBoo
April 11th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Well, today I ended up going to Petsmart and buying the Citronella collar...I came home and put the collar on Buster, he isn't used to wearing a collar unless we are going for walks so he thought we were going out. The actual "pump" is quite bulky so it looks heavy on his neck. Well, he tried to play with Harley, barked and jumped back when the spray went off. It's just a mild lemon smell, doesn't burn eyes or nostrils (I tried it!). He tried once again to bark and got the same reaction, so since then (about 45 minutes) all he has done is pace in circles. He is soooo stresssed!!! I think I will leave it on another 15 minutes, then give him a break. They say the dog shouldn't wear it anymore than 8 hours in a day. Trust me.....Buster won't wear it that long!!!

I feel soooooo bad, he isn't a happy boy but the barking had to stop.

mummummum
April 11th, 2007, 10:40 PM
What happened with training ? :o

BusterBoo
April 12th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Training is also ongoing, but most of the problem lies with the fact that I have a hard time "catching" Buster or making him sit when Harley is running around. I am hoping to get Buster back in obedience training shortly.

As for the collar, I left it on for about an hour and once I took it off Buster was quiet, except for when I took both doggies in the basement to play ball. He didn't bark quite as much as normal and sort of looked at me as if he was expecting something to happen. When he did bark (throaty little bark) I said sssssshhhhh and he quieted right down. I am hoping that this collar will give me the chance to do some training with him.

I know it isn't the best solution but my marriage was on the track with this as my hubby isn't a dog-person and his (hubby) running around yelling at Buster wasn't helping at all. Of course, hubby yells.....Buster barks....vicious circle....:frustrated:

Dena
May 7th, 2007, 01:08 AM
Hello..HELP//. I too have dogs that love to hear themselves talk!!! My older dog has allways barked, but only a little at strangers passing by. Then we introduced Deuce (our min pin) to the family. He is now 1yr and loves to bark at EVERYTHING! He barks with any noise, any passing people, other animals, and at times we can't get him to stop. It is very difficult to socialize him as he refuses to stop barking! Deuce will start running out the door barking without even knowing what he is barking at. Our third dog is also a min pin. She is 4, and is a rescue. We have had her about 2 months. She rarely barked but now has unfortunately picked up the nasty habit. She will be quiet when told to be-- thankfully: Its difficult to have company over. All 3 dogs get going, and well... plug your ears! Anyway, any tips would be very helpful! Thanks

LynLyn
May 8th, 2007, 11:53 PM
My Bowser is a MinPin too and loves to bark at everything, the only thing I can recommend is the citronella collar (As mentioned above) and ongoing training, you HAVE to teach the quiet command, otherwise you'll go crazy.

Dena
May 10th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Thanks lynlyn! The collar works while he wears it....lol.. I just hate to have it on him at all times. It usually works when i show him the collar.. he will just stop... but not allways. Especially when he heads to the backyard.. and starts barking at nothing. Really hard to get him to stop. Its hard to keep his focus for any kind of commands. Its like he has puppy ADD hahaha. Anyway.. will keep trying. Min pins sure are fun!!!:crazy:

Dracko
May 10th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I would say a tired dog will rest. I'd up the exercise and maybe when the dog is played out he'll relax. I know with Dracko if he is ansy and bugging me or the cats that is what I have to do.

bendyfoot
May 11th, 2007, 10:42 AM
We're having whining/barking/crying problems too, but only really during one time of the day: morning.
Our GSD is 6 months old. I would describe her as fairly vocal (she barks to alert us if someone/thing approaches the house, may whine a bit when you leave her alone in another room, makes a huge noisy fuss when she's busy chasing a cat around the house). I would not say that she has separation anxiety, as she is left in one room of the house blocked off with a baby gate, with toys, her crate etc., and she has never been destructive or overly anxious about it.
She goes in her crate very willingly at "bed time", on this command, and settles in nicely for the night, no problem, and is quiet throughout the night.
BUT, she starts with the fussing in the morning. Early. Like 5am. We'd be happy if she'd even let us sleep another hour. It's very loud, persistent barking/crying/whining/panting which can last for a steady stream of over 3 hours (we tried once). We will not go downstairs to get her unless she's having a quiet spell, but these don't last very long and it's hard to get all the way downstairs without her starting up again. She quiets easily other times with a "quiet" command or a "sshh". But there is no way to stop the huge theatrics in the morning.
It doesn't seem to be the case that she desperately has to go to the bathroom...we always let her out to pee immediately after the crate is opened, but much of the time she just goofs around the yard for a while. You have to command her to pee, or she'll just come back in the house without going.
I don't know if this is a GSD thing, a puppy thing, or a training thing.
I should add that she gets lots of exercise (probably more than a young large-breed, three-legged puppy should, actually) and play time.
Suggestion?

Crestedcrazy
May 11th, 2007, 12:59 PM
I find a squirt bottle very effective, I say the quiet command and if he (Noid usually) doesn't listen then a quick squirt and a Quiet command and he then will shut up :)

bendyfoot
May 11th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Tried that. She could care less about the water. Or noise makers, or loud clattery things thrown in her direction, or "no's", or scruffing, or leash correction or ANYTHING. She rolls onto her back and wags her tail with an impish expression on her face and a smile no matter what you do. This pup is a stubborn girl, and we have yet to find anything really effective in terms of distraction/correction with her. Very different from our other dog Gracie, who slinks away with her tail between her legs and ears all hang-dog and sad face at the slightest sign of "bad dog" coming from us. Sigh.

m8r5k
May 24th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Put lemon juice and a little bit of water in a squirt bottle. Spray it in there mouth while they are barking. It is cheaper than buying a new collar.

tenderfoot
May 24th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Who is the dog respecting You? or the water bottle? And as you have said some dogs don't really mind the water bottle. So now you are suggesting putting a form of acid (lemon juice) into the bottle to make it painful to the dog. NOT OKAY!

A dog whines for attention, or when it's in trouble or scared. Sounds like attention getting whining. You have two choices - ignore it or stop it. Ignoring it means you can't even look at the dog when he whines. Eye contact is a conversation and so if he whines and you look then he thinks "oh, that worked, I just got a conversation going. Watch this, whine, whine, whine, woopeee she looked again! I am good at this game!" If you ignore the dog he will stop because it dosen't work. No payoff, a waste of his time and energy.

Right now I have one of my dogs who whined the other day because it was preparing to storm and he saw me in my office and whined to let me know he needed to come in. It worked. Now today he sees me in my office and whined just because he wants to be with me. I had to ignore him for a good 10 minutes - now he is silent and back to playing in his pen. It can take great pateince to listen to a dog whine as you try to ignore it. But if you lose your pateince after 10 minutes and aknowledge him, then he learns to whine for at least 10 minutes to be effective. Next time it will be 15-20 minutes. You have shown him you will give up so he knows its worth his time and energy to try.

The other option is to stop it. This takes relationship. He needs to respect your word so that when you say 'quiet' or 'quit' he takes you seriously and stops. Not because you have a water bottle in your hand. What happens if you don't have the bottle handy? or he starts to think its a fun game? 'Yeah, she's bringing out the bottle!' This is about taking you at your word. How well does he do 20 things for you at 4 different levels? How well does he listen to you? If he isn't a good listener then you need to do more work on all of his obedience not just his whining skills.

m8r5k
May 25th, 2007, 12:51 PM
It is watered down lemon juice i suggested and it doesn't hurt the dog at all. I talked to my vet about it learned some dogs actually even like lemon juice.

tenderfoot
May 25th, 2007, 02:58 PM
But the likelyhood of someone having the perfect aim and only hitting the dogs mouth with the lemon water and not getting any in the eyes is pretty slim.

Even without the lemon juice are you really teaching your dog to respect your wishes or the water bottle? I once walked into a clients home and they had 9 :eek: water bottles in one room and the dog was still out of control. The dog would act out, the person would grab a bottle, the dog would run into another room, and the second the water bottle was down on a table the dog was back at it again - no learning, just a great game.