Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Wine Boiled

Lukka'sma
April 8th, 2007, 10:27 AM
I know nothing about wine other than it's only purpose is to baste my turkey. While melting butter in wine on the stove it came to a boil:eek: Oh no....is it ruined now:yell:

badger
April 8th, 2007, 10:39 AM
It will have lost a little of its alcohol content, which happens anyway, so no big deal. Sounds delicious!

Lukka'sma
April 8th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Oh thanks badger. I won't give it another thought then. I was worried for a while about it though.

Toonces
April 8th, 2007, 11:52 AM
that sounds yummy I never thought of basting with wine before

Lukka'sma
April 8th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Makes for a wonderful gravy.
My method is to melt three sticks of butter in saucepan with one bottle of white wine.
Rinse and stuff turkey, rub skin with butter.
Take a cotton cheesecloth and dip into the butter mixture and wring out. Lay directly on skin of turkey making sure the cloth is large enough to cover the whole bird.
Baste again and pop in oven.
I baste each and every half hour with the wine mixture until about one hour before turkey is done cooking.
Remove the cheesecloth (it lifts off fairly easily) and baste again.
Your turkey will be dark brown to an almost shellack finish and the gravy will be delicious.

Mocha's mum
April 8th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Sounds like heaven!! I'll have to keep that in mind for the next time I make Kris cook turkey.

Today is ham day for us...honey ginger glazed.....

BusterBoo
April 8th, 2007, 03:29 PM
sounds very good! Unfortunately, the turkey has been in the oven for about 2 hours and I sitting have a glass of wine! :crazy:

jesse's mommy
April 8th, 2007, 03:34 PM
It does sound yummy.

No turkey or ham for us today. We went out to lunch at a Japanese Hibachi grill. :D I refused to cook after last year where I was stuck doing all the cooking from start to finish and cleaning everything up. I had NO help from honey's family. They expected to be waited on hand and foot. Honey tried to come into the kitchen and asked me what he can do to help, I told him to get in the other room with his parents and keep the h*ll away from me. :evil: I told him that it would be a cold day before I cooked for his family again. :laughing:

~michelle~
April 8th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Im inviting myself over for next year!!!!! sounds awesome....
alot of the time when cooking with wine they boil it it removes the alcohol content and concentrates the flavours!

i had ham with the family yesterday and im working today, but i have a turkey dinner with the guys i support!!

Lukka'sma
April 8th, 2007, 06:15 PM
OK ~michelle~ you can come and bring the gang.
The finished product
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/DSCF0008-1.jpg

RolandsMom
April 8th, 2007, 06:47 PM
wow. that looks tasty!
personally i prefer to drink my wine neat.
:crazy:

jesse's mommy
April 8th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Just out of curiousity, what kind of white wine do you use? In the past I've used Chablis to cook with, but there are so many more varieties of white wines.

Lukka'sma
April 8th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Just out of curiousity, what kind of white wine do you use? In the past I've used Chablis to cook with, but there are so many more varieties of white wines.

I have only used a Pelee Island Wine so far. It has always worked well for me so no need to change.

jesse's mommy
April 8th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Is Pelee Island the brand or the type of wine?

Lukka'sma
April 8th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Is Pelee Island the brand or the type of wine?

Pelee Island is the name brand. It is produced here in Ontario. I have used about four different white wines on this page. Never noticed any difference in gravy taste between the wines listed here.http://www.peleeisland.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_main.html?catid=4