Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Jealousy in dogs

Nancy39
April 7th, 2007, 02:16 PM
I have a 13 year old shepard husky. He was a guard dog years ago, and we rescued him from that environment. Unfortunately, he remained an outdoor dog. It tooks years of TLC to gain his trust. We have 2 other dogs who are "indoor" dogs and they always got along. One month ago, we brought home another rescue dog. She was also brought inside. For the first few weeks, all went well. I was able to take all the dogs on walks together. My "outdoor" dog was given extra TLC, (ei), fed first, lots of "sugar". Last week, the "outdoor" dog literally "turned on" me. Teeth bared, attack-like mode. It's been a difficult week overcoming my "fear" that I now have of him, but also seeing that "he" does not understand. I have continuued to try and make the outdoor dog feel special. (I am trying to synopsize this, but in so doing, hope that my dilemma is understood). I am reaching out for some help from other folks who love animals as I do. Thank you.

sissani
April 7th, 2007, 03:03 PM
It could be that because you kept him outside he was never able to bond with you and fully learn to trust you. He may not see himself as a fellow pack member, so his behavior may seem a little more hostile. Even though you're doing your best to make sure he feels special, if he is not around you as much as possible to bond with you, it wont do much good.

If you are afraid his aggression will escalate to attacking you, seek a trainer/behaviorist for help.

mummummum
April 7th, 2007, 03:04 PM
First, thanks for rescuing all these darlings. Second, kudos to you ~ I know you'll stick with it ~ it must have been (and obviously still is) tough going with your "outdoor" guy.

Point(s) of clarification ? What contact do all of your dogs have together now ? What contact did your "outdoor guy" have with your other two before the newcomer and what was their relationship like then and now ? Has ANYTHING else occurred or changed in his/ your environment ? Is his health okay ? What about the newcomers temperment ? Have you worked with a trainer or a behaviourist at anytime with your "outdoor guy" ?

Don't worry about over-explaining ~we're not there and living it, you are the expert on describing your situation. We probably won't be able to help you much beyond the basics ~ my first instinct is a trainer/ behaviorist is needed.

Nancy39
April 8th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Thanks so much for trying to help..I am new at this forum, and truly appreciate folks out there willing to listen..It has been very frustrating to me, since I love all my "puppies"...I have a wonderful husband who is willing to help. In some ways, he is better with the dogs than I am, but in other ways, the dogs know that their "sugar" comes from "Mama". I do fear that "bear Bear" my outdoor dog never feels a part of the "pack". But it always amazed e that he got along with the other two I had. He does get along with the new dog, but, he is jealous of my attentions towards her. Bear is still always the first I feed, and the last one I visit if he sees me with the others. I plan to "hang in there"..The new dog is young and has tons of energy, so I took her to the park alone today to run and do some training sessions..Just tryin' everything I can think of..I will try to contact a dog behavioralist, however. Hopefully, that wil help. Thanks.

..First, thanks for rescuing all these darlings. Second, kudos to you ~ I know you'll stick with it ~ it must have been (and obviously still is) tough going with your "outdoor" guy.

Point(s) of clarification ? What contact do all of your dogs have together now ? What contact did your "outdoor guy" have with your other two before the newcomer and what was their relationship like then and now ? Has ANYTHING else occurred or changed in his/ your environment ? Is his health okay ? What about the newcomers temperment ? Have you worked with a trainer or a behaviourist at anytime with your "outdoor guy" ?

Don't worry about over-explaining ~we're not there and living it, you are the expert on describing your situation. We probably won't be able to help you much beyond the basics ~ my first instinct is a trainer/ behaviorist is needed.