Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What a great idea!

Winston
April 7th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Hello...I was at the Pets show in Toronto today...I was given a flyer and talked to a women at the booth...Petsmart has proposed a challenge in the GTA...They have donated $75,000.00 to a Spay & Neuter CLinic...The clinic must raise $50,000.00 to open. All dogs and cats will be a flat fee of $50.00 to spay & neuter!!! They say the clinic will be self-financing..After 3 years they will be able to open another clinic...

They estimate in the 1st year they will complete 7,800 surgeries....and in the 2nd & 3rd year they expect 12,000 and 18,000.

It sounds like a great idea!! It is a great way to solve pet overpopulation!!

Cindy

Edgewaters
April 7th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Every city needs a Spay/Neuter Clinic, in my opinion. It's a good investment for municipalities too; fewer stray animals means fewer animal control enforcement costs, and a shelter in better condition and operating more efficiently. Ottawa has one, I think Montreal too; and I know the one in Ottawa is funded municipally. Toronto should have one, for sure! I'm rather surprised it doesn't.

mummummum
April 7th, 2007, 03:36 PM
It's a great idea ! But, I thought THS ran a Spay/ Neuter clinic once or twice a year no ?

Prin
April 7th, 2007, 08:02 PM
It's a great idea, but how would the clinic be self-supporting charging only $50 for a spay or neuter? :o

Winston
April 8th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Hey Prin....here is what the flyer says...

-Donations will go towards start up costs for the GTA's first non profit low cost spay/neuter clinic for dogs and cats
-The clinic will be run by the charity "SpayCentral Toronto"
-Spay/Neuter surgery for dogs and cats will cost a flat fee of $50.00
-The business model chosen for the clinic will be a self financing one
-Income from the surgery fees and the use of volunteers in non-surgical positions will allow the clinic to meet the expenses with revenues
-After year on, our clinics operations will break even
-In 3 years we will make sufficient profits to open a second clinic
-SpayCentral will not seek public funding

Cindy

chico2
April 8th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Sure they'll make it:thumbs up,the volume of petowners not beeing able to afford $200 for spay/neuter,or those not wanting to pay that amount,will be huge..
It's worked in many other cities,why not the GTA??
My old vet,used to have rabies-shots for $10 one Saturday every month,you would not believe the line-up..
Anything to encourage people to s/n is a fantastic thing!
MumMum,once or twice/year just is not good enough IMO..