Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Raw Turkey Neck

Lukka'sma
April 7th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Is it safe to give Lukka the raw turkey neck from Easter turkey? Can she crunch up the bones? I read somewhere that because kibble and raw are digested at different rates she shouldn't eat both the same day. Is this true? Will any kibble feeders be giving the neck to their dog?

mummummum
April 7th, 2007, 04:21 PM
If she has had bones or raw meat before and has no poultry issues there is no reason to worry about sensitivity. BUT, turkey is very rich. If you are giving her the neck tonihgt, I wouldn't give her kibble tonight or immediately in the morning but given her size, I would either feed her kibble mid-morning or at noon.

Scott_B
April 7th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Im not as concerned about mixing them, but it may give her runny stool. If her system isnt used to raw, she may also vomit it up. That said, yes she can eat the bones. BUT, watch her eat..turkey necks are something that should only be fed if you know your dog is a good chewer. due to their shape, they can easily swallow them whole and can possibly choke. Just be aware.

Lukka'sma
April 7th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Thanks Scott. I just may pass it up then with the information you gave me. Just glad I checked first.

~michelle~
April 7th, 2007, 06:29 PM
sorry lukka is not going to have aturkey neck, but happy easter to you and your family (furry and non furry included)

Lukka'sma
April 7th, 2007, 07:08 PM
sorry lukka is not going to have aturkey neck, but happy easter to you and your family (furry and non furry included)

Thanks ~michelle~. She will have a good Easter even without it. A nice family hike and she's happy.
Hope your family have a wonderful Easter too.

angeldogs
April 7th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Poor lukka not going to get her turkey neck.i feed jag kibble and raw for the first week before going just raw.i give jag the necks chicken and turkey.but he learned to chew with feeding turkey backs the first week.
Happy easter and to that pretty girl lukka.