Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cats and heart worm?

amaruq
April 12th, 2004, 09:02 AM
I was thinking last night...do cats go on heart worm meds? Can they get heart worm?

You would think the push towards heart worm meds would be for cats as a lot of people let their cats out?

Weird thinkgs you think of in the middle of the night lol!

Lucky Rescue
April 12th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Cats can get heartworms, but much less often than dogs do. However, the same treatment used for dogs is usually fatal in cats.

There is Heartguard for cats, but I've never used it and my cats never got heartworm, since cats are not natural hosts for this parasite.

Catt31
April 12th, 2004, 11:11 AM
That leads me to a question I had the other night too!! We live in Alberta, and if I remember correctly, fleas don't exist at all or in high quantities here. If we travel to BC, we are supposed to give Brick heartworm medication and a flea collar/treatment. Does that sound correct?? I'm sure Brick had heartworm treatment before we got him from the shelter too.

I am taking Brick in for his shots next week, so I will confirm with the vet, but I was just curious!! We want to go camping in BC this summer so we need to find out!!! I know many of you are from Ontario/Quebec....any ideas about Alberta & BC??? :confused:

Lucky Rescue
April 12th, 2004, 11:42 AM
If there are mosquitoes, dogs need heartworm prevention and I'm sure there are plenty of moquitoes in BC. There's lots in AB too , right? Brick will need preventative up until the season ends - probably Oct or Nov.

Heartguard is retroactive, so a dose given on, say, June 1st will kill any microfilaria the dog may have gotten in May.

For fleas, I don't use collars. The best is Advantage or Frontline - one application between the shoulders.

Catt31
April 12th, 2004, 12:37 PM
OOOohh yaaaa, plenty o' mosquitoes in AB!!! :( I will definately keep those updated!! Thanks LR!!

Karin
April 12th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Cats can get heartworms. Symptoms are almost like asthma. Treatment is much easier and safer than in canines.

A good point to stress about using prevention in cats is you will also never see ear mites in a cat on one, same for intestinal parasites too.

I could go into another big speel about why is/how is and the adult female heartworm antigen thingy but bad weather is approaching again.

Lucky Rescue
April 12th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Treatment is much easier and safer than in canines.

What treatment would that be?
:confused:

Everything I know about heartworm infestation in cats suggests that treatment is often unsuccessful and even fatal, since cats don't deal as well with the dying heartworms as dogs do!

Lucky Rescue
April 13th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Sorry to bump this up, but I really want to know about the "easy and safe" treatment for feline heartworms.

Maybe I've fallen behind the times.:(