Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Potty Training

Harley's_Mom
April 6th, 2007, 08:57 PM
We are having a bit of an issue with Harley and I am open to any and all suggestions. We have had Harley for 5 weeks and have been working diligently (sp) with him especially house training. He is great about scratching at the wall beside the door when he needs to poop but he won't let us know when he has to pee unless he is in his crate. He whines when he has to go out when he's crated but doesn't let us know he needs out when he's running free. Any suggestions??

mummummum
April 6th, 2007, 11:46 PM
He's very, very young isn't he ~ twelve or so weeks old ? Puppies don't have alot of warning that they have to pee at all (poop is a bit of a stronger alert :D )and puppies running around tend to be too distracted to pay attention to their bladders (and continence control isn't completely established when they are that young anyway). When you say you are "working diligently" ~ what does that look like ? Is Harley kept in a confined area (i.e. just the living room) or does he have full run of the house ? Do you keep to a rigid schedule for outdoor potty runs and if so how often ? Are you using pee pads or do you think he should go outside only ?

Sorry for all the questions ~ but, it's helpful to know how you are going about housetraining so we don't make suggestions you are already trying.

Harley's_Mom
April 7th, 2007, 04:42 PM
You are correct, Harley is 12 weeks old. No, we are not paper training, it's strictly outside (or supposed to be anyway...lol). We do the standard take him out shortly after he's had a drink, after he eats, after he naps and when he's been running around the house like a little maniac. He is not confined to one area of the house as such. He only has access to the main floor, no basement and only upstairs at nite in his crate to sleep. We live in military housing so it's not like our main floor is all that big, only about 500 sq feet. It's not very often that he's by himself anyway. He likes to be with us so if we leave a room, he'll usually follow. If we're going to be leaving him by himself for any length of time then he goes to "his room" which is his crate. He is always taken outside after he's been in his room. He has great bladder control at night. We usually take him out around 10:00, before we go to bed and he wakes us up around 6:00 am to go out. I'm just not sure why he'll whine to go pee when he's in his crate but not when he's loose in the house.

BusterBoo
April 7th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Harley probably doesn't want to pee in his "home" so he will let you know if he has to go out from his crate. Most dogs don't mess where they sleep...

I think you are on the right track for training....outside after eating, sleeping, playing, resting.....:p probably once every hour or so at your Harley's age. And of course, after he has done his job.... LOTS AND LOTS of praise! (jumping up and down....GOOD DOGGIE!!!!!) :crazy:

Harley is still very young, he will get the hang of it soon!!!

Good luck!:fingerscr

mummummum
April 7th, 2007, 05:07 PM
While I'm far from an expert on potty training...

I would guess that he knows he has to pee when he is in his crate because he a/ is lying down (pressure on his bladder/ urethra and b/ there are no other stimuli in his environment ~ not much else to distract him from his body sensations. You've got kids ? Think about boys, they will stand there pinching their crotch forever, denying they have to pee if there is something going on they don't want to miss. Your boy is not that different.

From everything I've read here about tiny dogs like chi's they are meant ot remain with their birth mothers until 12-14 weeks as they don't physically or socially mature until later. You got your chi-poodle mix pretty early.

Could I suggest a more restricted environment (500 feet is a Museum compared to the size of your puppy) along with the use of pee pads or newspapers? Keep up with the scheduled outside to pee-time (alarm-time, by the clock). As your pup gets older you reduce the space taken up by the pee-pads. As far as is possible keep your eye on Harley for any "about to pee signs" (they get a look in their eye you will come to know ...) and move him either over to the pee pads or directly outside if possible. "You don't pee on the carpet, you pee here". Give huge praise when Harley pees both on the pads and more so when he goes outside. Then, when you are reduced to one pee pad, start watching for ALL pee signs and move him outside with praise only when he pees there rather than on the pad.

Harley's_Mom
April 8th, 2007, 09:22 AM
I don't know if this makes a difference or not but Harley is actually a Shih Poo not a Chi Poo. I definitely don't want to go the puppy pad route, I think at this point it would be a step backwards and with a cat and a 2 year old in the house, I can't be leaving puppy pads lying around. As for restricting his access in the house, that really isn't an option. The way my house is laid out the only room we could restrict him to would be the living room and then he can't get to the door to let us know he does need out, so again I feel that would be a step backwards. My neighbour tried that method with her puppy (who is a week older than Harley) and she is having more potty training issues than we are. Since I started this thread, we have actually made some more progress with Harley. This weekend he has been going to the door to let us know he needs out, now hopefully he will start whining or scratching at it. My fingers are crossed!

Winston
April 8th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Harley'sMom! You are doing everything exactly right! Just a bit more time...When I first brought Winston home he was the same way..except I took him into training right away and they were the ones to tell me to watch him closely and he would show a sign! and sure enough he did! his tail cocks up a bit...its just a matter of time....your baby is so young still! but they catch on pretty quick...I agree with you on the pee pads...seems to be a step back! Winston never messed up his crate..I guess becuase they know they sleep in there!

Good Luck

Cindy

Harley's_Mom
April 8th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Thank you all for your advice and support! It's so great to be able to post on this web site and get so much great help. I guess we'll just have to hang in there and be patient.

Cram
April 9th, 2007, 01:18 AM
If you would like a clear signal from your pup for going out to potty, you could try teaching her to ring bells hanging from the door when she needs to go. We did this with our pup, Helix, and he caught on right away and was house trained by 11 weeks old (it took us 2.5 weeks). All you have to do is buy a couple of large craft bells and tie them to a string or ribbon and hang it from the door knob so that your pup can reach it with her nose. Then every time you take her out, ring the bells yourself, and occasionally encourage her to do so as well (give her treats and praise if she touches them). I've heard of lots of dogs having success with this method, and you can be really consistent because their outside potty signal is so clear. Good luck!

Harley's_Mom
April 9th, 2007, 08:03 AM
We have talked about using the bells. One of the trainers at puppy classes suggested it. I'll just have to train my 2 year old and my cat not to ring them.....lol. It certainly can't hurt to try.

slray
April 17th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Everyone is right. It just takes time, patience, and being persistant. I am using the pads right now because it has been too cold in the morning to take mako out. Now he goes on the pad. If I take him to my mom's house he will go and find the newspaper she has out for her dog. Of course, he still has accidents, I just don't make a big deal out of it and praise him for using paper. He's been known to pee on any paper that's around, so I have to remind my kids not to leave their schoolwork on the floor.
Good luck and God bless. Sheila Ray:fingerscr