Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about Salmon Oil

Winston
April 6th, 2007, 02:25 PM
I have been giving my boy a 1000mg gelcap per day of Wild Salmon Oil...Someone said to me that I should break it open and put it on the kibble? As it is right now I just throw it in the bowl and he eats it? They said he could have trouble digesting it? I checked and it is made of gelatin...should that not dissolve pretty good? Any thoughts?

Cindy

mummummum
April 6th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Delicate question time.... do you see any evidence of a whole gelcap in his poop ? Probably not, gelatin feels pretty tough but dissolves well. Breaking them open can get messy and wasteful ~ if he's eating it, without noticing it's there...Don't fix it if it ain't broke !;)

Goldens4Ever
April 6th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Everyday, our two get an Omega 3, 6, 9 Complex oil capsule & we just gently & quickly push it down their throats-no problems. Dogs' stomachs have such strong acids that it will dissolve those capsules in no time. I agree that breaking them open can be messy & then you take the chance of wasting some. :thumbs up

rainbow
April 6th, 2007, 03:04 PM
I agree. He will digest it just fine. :)

Winston
April 6th, 2007, 03:40 PM
I thought so! Just wanted to be sure! No evidence in his poop! I am happy because I just throw it in with the kibble and he always eats it! Thanks!

Cindy