Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

For those thinking breeding dogs makes money

Daisy2943
April 5th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Aimed mainly at new people. Lady the cocker that was dropped off at my house accidentally breed with my male. They were kept apart for a week and a half and they finally got to each other. She recently had five puppies. Charlie is now neutered.

Expenses so far:
Lady's palpation: $67
Lady's Bowel problem while in labor (just diarrhea due to stress caused by other dogs being around): 97
Lady's followup after pregnancy 100
Puppies tails dock and dewclaws removed: 150
Emergency milk: 20
Papers for the pups: 50
A total of $484 and they are only 3 days old
Also taking time off of work for puppies delivery.

The pups are only 3 days old.

Heres some pictures
http://picasaweb.google.com/Darkangel4214/CharlieAndLadysPups?authkey=CQgEEy3m8LI

Prin
April 5th, 2007, 03:28 PM
It's expensive now, but when you sell them and make a profit, it's not so expensive anymore.

Let's see:

5 puppies (right?)
x $500
$2500

I bet that'll cover your vet bills, food bills, nice new computer, some car repairs, a new mp3 player, a weekend at the spa, some new earrings, a dinner out.......

:sad:

rainbow
April 5th, 2007, 03:41 PM
How can you get papers for the pups when Lady is a mixed breed?

Lady the cocker spaniel mix ??? 3-5 years old

I also hope Lady will be spayed ASAP.

Daisy2943
April 5th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I haven't posted for awhile have I. Background on Lady: I rescued Lady from a family who had her outside all the time and she was matted. Stupid me didn't take pictures before I cleaned her up and the animal control said that she doesn't look that bad it looked like she had allergies. So I went back to Lady's owner where I saw another dog. This one was a male and a couple more females all in a two bedroom apartment. I was furious and I ended up buying him from them also. They were a mini puppy mill in my opinion it was disgusting. Well instead of going through animal control since they are idiots. They took two weeks even to call me back on this claim and they said sorry weve been dealing with a lot of fight rings. I live in Dayton Ohio so you might have heard of the pit bulls. Anyways I ended up paying 600 dollars for all of them and I got there papers after threatening to go to their landlord. Suprisingly they don't allow pets. I'm assuming that lady was outside just in the eveningwhen the landlord wasn't there. My hubby wasn't to pleased when I came home with four dogs. They boy and the three females were sold quick. I sold them for a hundred each to cover the vet bills at least ( I used the money to get them spayed and neutered) and groomed them real nice. I found some great families for them but lady didn't sell. So I ended up with another dog!

Daisy2943
April 5th, 2007, 09:33 PM
I couldn't afford to get Lady spayed so I waited for a little bit and bam she was pregnant. I don't think you can sell cocker pups for 500. I was thinking more around the 250-300 dollar range. Prin the expenses aren't up yet they are only 3 days old and I haven't even got their shots yet! 1250 is the max but in the long run the time spent and the little extra costs you know food stuff they destroy add up too

Daisy2943
April 5th, 2007, 09:45 PM
whoops charlie isn't neutered lady is

technodoll
April 5th, 2007, 09:53 PM
whoops charlie isn't neutered lady is

:confused: the bitch who just gave birth is "neutered"? :confused:

Prin
April 5th, 2007, 09:54 PM
So, lemme get this straight. She JUST had puppies 3 days ago and is already spayed?

And you took pics of the puppies you're supposedly not proud of because it was an accident, but you've never taken pics of Charlie winning dog show points?

breeze
April 5th, 2007, 09:56 PM
ok now I am really confused :confused:

Daisy2943
April 5th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Lady had a c-section. I haven't gotten around to charlies pictures yet and the pups pictures were a disposable camera. I have the photos I got at the show but I odn't have a scanner. Im in the process of moving so I haven't bothered with that. Im focusing more on the puppies finding good homes more than charlie show pics especially since I have to be out by friday or im in violation with the courts.

breeze
April 5th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I give up trying to understand this thread,

It's like the baseball joke who is on first, whats on second

Prin
April 5th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Lady had a c-section. Hmm... How come that's not included in your little fee thingy? I mean you included "palpation"... :confused: :confused: And "bowel problem while in labor".:confused: :confused:

technodoll
April 5th, 2007, 11:08 PM
"the plot thickens" - a real cliffhanger, this one!

munch munch munch

mafiaprincess
April 5th, 2007, 11:16 PM
How about the spay fee that isn't listed?

TD.. wanna start a drink concession? Might need alcoholic options..

jiorji
April 5th, 2007, 11:34 PM
well personally I think she's trying to prove a point here that puppies are a serious and time consuming matter as well as money, etc.

but really......you should've known that an unspayed female and an intact male would result in trouble, no matter what you do to keep them appart.

Thirdly, from an accidental breeding, nobody will pay $300 for them, unless you take them to a petstore. But good luck nonetheless finding shmucks willing to pay that much and I hope they make it safely to adulthood.

Prin
April 5th, 2007, 11:37 PM
People will pay whatever you ask... That's how these people stay in "business". :rolleyes:

jiorji
April 5th, 2007, 11:45 PM
I would never pay that much for an accidental litter puppy. I mean, what am i paying for? Research and tests for temperament and hips , etc? Most i'd pay is $50

as I said....a shmuck would go for it ;)

and quite frankly, to me it's ridiculous how some breeders ask for thousands of $'s for their pups. Putting a price on the innocent life of a dog that didn't require that much science to make anyway. If a puppy came from a neutered and spayed couple....well....that's worth $100000 cha ching!! lol:2cents: :2cents: :2cents:

Prin
April 5th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Yep. Only a "schmuck" would pay ANYTHING for mutt puppies unless they're rescues.:shrug:

glitterless
April 6th, 2007, 01:15 AM
I think that this was a great post. Most people assume that they can get two dogs or a bitch and pay a stud fee, spend very little during the pregnancy, and sell puppies for top dollars.

Maybe it works that way for some people, but if you do things right you don't really make much unless you have a few breeding bitches. The bitch needs vet care, she has different nutrition requirements than an unbred dog, the puppies need check-ups, shots, deworming, and so on, and then there's all of your time.

Whether or not the story is legitimate, the point that the OP is trying to make is good. Don't breed dogs! It's costly, things can go wrong, and it's totally unnecessary!

Spirit
April 6th, 2007, 01:55 AM
Why is this thread not locked already?

Crimson
April 6th, 2007, 02:24 AM
This thread has run its course and will now be closed.