Hunter's_owner
April 5th, 2007, 08:24 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2007/04/04/homemade-petfood.html

Prin
April 5th, 2007, 02:53 PM
I just hope the people do it right. :o

rainbow
April 5th, 2007, 03:03 PM
That's my concern also. They need to make sure everything is balanced and with proper vitamin/mineral content.

Hunter's_owner
April 5th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Yeah I think that is the concern that some of the vets interviewed had as well.

SableCollie
April 5th, 2007, 07:59 PM
I have been hearing people saying that they are going to just feed their dogs cooked chicken and rice/vegetables from now on because of the pet food recall. I tell them if they do that, they're gonna end up with a calcium deficiency, among other things. I spent a lot of time researching dog nutrition before I started cooking for my dog, and there's still so much I want to learn. I even took an online course for vet techs on pet nutrition (it was sponsored by Purina, so of course I had to wade through all of the propaganda, but I did learn a lot. I'm not a vet tech, but they don't know that!). I would be afraid that not all of the "make your own pet food" books out there have balanced recipes...I mean, anyone can publish a book! And some of the dog biscuit cookbooks I have bought in the past have included things like raisins and onions in their ingredients.

technodoll
April 5th, 2007, 09:04 PM
so hey, i'm just wondering... before the invention of kibble and the publication of all these "petfood nutrition books"... what the heck did people feed their dogs? how did generations of healthy, long-lived dogs make it through the centuries? what do most countries on the planet (where kibble is unheard of) feed their pets? are we just over-doing it and brainwashed into thinking that feeding a dog or a cat is a feat for a rocket scientist? :confused:

erykah1310
April 5th, 2007, 09:05 PM
*tee hee* Ahh TD, I love how you say it like it is:thumbs up

SableCollie
April 5th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Well growing up, I had a friend whose dog was fed all table scraps..not healthy stuff either, but like chocolate cake and spaghetti. Whatever they were eating they would just scrape leftovers into the dog's bowl. The dog was also never vetted and never on heartworm meds, and it lived to be 14 years old. Go figure.
But I think most dogs used to be able to run loose and hunt little critters to supplement their diets, and people used to give raw bones a lot too. Otherwise a standard "dog stew" was meat (whatever the humans didn't want probably), vegetables/potatoes, and corn meal, cooked on the stove. Or some people would do meat/fish plus brown bread or rice and veggies. The basic problem with a homecooked diet is the calcium/phosphorus ratio. Unless you are feeding raw bones of some sort, you'll have to supplement calcium. Lazy raw feeders just have to toss food to their dogs and they're done. ;)

technodoll
April 5th, 2007, 09:47 PM
he he! yay for lazyness! LOL :D

but not all dogs were/are allowed to roam and hunt, or built to (some breeds are just not built to hunt and kill), or lived in places where mice and rabbit abounded... yet they survived and thrived. YES a balanced diet is essential, but the key is "balance over time", just as we humans eat, and not a spage-age scientist blend that decrees "every single meal must be perfectly balanced or your dog will die a horrible death from malnutrition". That is just brainwashing and spinning from the petfood companies, who make us think we're too dumb to feed our pets properly. pfffffffffft! get the basic facts, use common sense and fresh ingredients, and you'll be fine! :dog:

Prin
April 6th, 2007, 01:39 AM
To me, it's not how long they lived, but how long could they have lived? My doggies probably come from either a BYB or a puppymill, and their genetics are probably crap as a result. When you compare them to the mutts before factory puppy farming, no doubt the old mutts were probably healthier. But did they live longer? No.

My dobie lived to 13 on Dog Chow. That's great for a dobie born in the 80's. But how long would he have lived had he been on great food? And how much better would his quality of life have been?

One thing I know for sure is Jemma and Boo, both around six now, are healthier and in better shape than my old dogs were at six. No doubt about it.

SARAH
April 6th, 2007, 08:09 AM
I agree with TD, there is no more science in pet foods than in human foods, except to add chemicals and synthetic vitamins after having destroyed the natural ones!

What I find funny, is that people start cooking for their animals, but keep buying fast foods for themselves :laughing:

And all this is warmed up ... in a microwave oven.

OK, their funeral, I'm not going there. Holistic pet food and home cooked human meals from scratch with NO microwaving!

I just :lovestruck: my :king: :dog: :dog: :cat: too much for anything else to be considered!

SableCollie
April 6th, 2007, 01:12 PM
I think a lot of dogs back in the "good old days" probably were not all that healthy. My parents and grandparents had dogs growing up, just eating table scraps and sometimes the dogs would just get sick or die, and that's just the way it was. They never really analyzed "why did this happen and could this have been prevented?" it was more like "oh, well, it's sad, but dogs die." Newborn puppy/kitten mortality seemed to be higher then too. It wasn't uncommon to lose a whole litter. :shrug: I'm sure a lot of dogs in ages past could have benefited tremendously from proper nutrition and vet care.

A lot of "human food" contains supplements too...unless you eat a completely raw diet yourself, you are probably consuming synthetic vitamins and minerals. Breakfast cereals are "fortified" with all tons of stuff. Milk contains vitamin D to help calcium absorption. Bread is made with "enriched flour". Could you be healthy without all that? Sure. But I would want to make sure I was taking in the correct nutrients. I am a vegan, and while I don't plan out my meals every day, I do have to make sure I am taking in enough calcium and b12 and such. And while I didn't really want to get in to this, my dog has been a vegetarian for 4 years now, and I want to be really careful that she is getting everything she needs, which is why I did major research before undertaking this.
I know, your brains probably just stalled at the "my dog is a vegetarian" part, so I'll stop now. :)

technodoll
April 6th, 2007, 02:01 PM
I think my point was missed... what i meant to say was: don't fall for the hype that we're not smart enough to feed our pets a home-diet (whether raw or cooked). Yes it needs some basic research but NO it does not take rocket-scientist brains or complicated recipes, weights, micro-measurements, etc. that is BS, sorry. The majority of cats and dogs on this planet aren't fed commercial petfoods NOR a "perfectly formulated home-cooked diet" and they're not sickly or dying in droves, either. So for those hesitating to make the plunge into feeding real foods to their pets, I'd highly encourage you to lose the fear, do some research and get on with it.

ps: I am not saying "toss any table scrap to your pet and it's good enough". No way! Feed a balanced and fresh, nutritional diet - learn the basics first - but don't get hung up on "perfect ratios, balance at every meal, etc". Feed your pet the way you feed your kids and it will all work out. :thumbs up

SableCollie
April 6th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Oh yeah, I have seen some cooked diets for dogs that actually tell you to get a kitchen scale so you can measure exact grams of everything. No way am I that neurotic. Dogs and cats just need sources of protein and fat and drinking water to survive. Technically that's all they need, they don't need carbohydrates, although carbs can be utilized for energy sources. If you're not feeding any raw bones to dogs, you're gonna have to add bonemeal or a calcium supplement to their diet, and if the dog is a puppy, especially a large breed, you're really gonna have to make sure the calcium/phosphorus ratio is ok.
My dogs gets supplements of calcium, and because she is a veggie dog, taurine and l-carnitine. Everything else comes from food, I just have to make sure she's getting a good amount of protein. (Technically dogs need at least 5.7 g protein/100 Kcal ME (metabolizable energy) for adult dog maintenance, but really I don't want to spend all my time doing equations. Interesting stuff, though, and I am glad to know it in case I ever have any doubts that her diet is adequate.)
Strangely enough, when I told my vet that my dog was a vegetarian and on a home cooked diet, he basically said, "oh that's nice." I was shocked, I thought for sure he would get out the Hills Nutrition 101 book and tell me that my dog should be on Science Diet.

ETA: Techno have you seen the way people feed their kids nowadays? I would say "Feed your dog the way you *should* feed your kid." My mom is a teacher and you should see the things people pack in their kids' lunches. twinkies and coca cola, mmm.