Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Curious

Benny Schnoodle
April 4th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Hi there i have a 1 yr old schnoodle and have a general question i am hoping to have answered . I have seen some dogs after they do there buisenss they scrape and throw dirt with there back legs.What im wondering is my Benny does this at my wife and i sometimes if we are not paying attention to him . Is this a form of agresion towards us he never nips or bites at the kids . He is great every way else and his temperment is the best ive seen in any dog that ive ever owned .

Loves Labs
April 5th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Hi there,

I would not say this is any form of aggression towards you. I had a female pointer x lab mix and she always did this. I think it is more of an instinct thing. I am not sure what the theory is behind it...perhaps covering up their scent or something along those lines.

I am sure someone on here will be able to explain it.

Shaykeija
April 5th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Tyra does this with every pee. We just call it the Chicken piddle dance :p

Cathy1
April 5th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Duke only does it when there are people, animals, even birds watching. I think it's funny because he looks so proud when he does it. Is he showing off?
The vet mentioned that some dogs do it to mark their territory.
:shrug:

sissani
April 5th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Dogs have scent glands in between their pads and they rub their paws on the ground (and kick dirt up in the process) in order to spread their scent and mark the area as their property. That's probably all he's doing.

Edgewaters
April 6th, 2007, 04:10 AM
Duke only does it when there are people, animals, even birds watching. I think it's funny because he looks so proud when he does it. Is he showing off?

Could be ... my experience with animals in general is that if they do something a few times (for whatever reason, originally) and their family finds it humorous or amusing, they are smart enough to pick up on this and continue to do it, even if the original trigger is absent. Almost every pet I've ever met has this streak of the comedian/performer.

Case in point with one of my cats; when we first got him we quarantined him for a few days and he figured out how to leap up and turn the doorknob, because he wanted to get out and meet the other cats and have a look around. We found this amusing and laughed about it and marvelled at how clever he was, so now, he jumps up and bats at doorknobs all over the house - even though we keep all the doors open most of the time!

gomez
April 6th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Funny, Gomez just started doing this a lot more since he got out of quarantine - before he used to do it maybe once a month, now he does it in the park a few times wether he pees or not -

Maybe he is just marking up his new country!