Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What to do with a velcro dog?

COCO350
April 4th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Coda is a rescue dog and has been with us for 3 weeks, the problem is how much he needs to be close to me, follows me everywhere and when I work at my desk he needs to be under the desk, we bought a cage thinking that's what he needs but he doesn't go in it...when I leave the room he panicks and follows...it worries me that he is so insecure!! any advice?

Winston
April 4th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Coco350...My boy Winston used to do that alot.....I did not mind it for awhile...What I ended up doing is using that stay command that he learned in training...I would leave him in a stay for a short time and gradually increase it...Once I released him he would get a treat. Now he follows from room to room but not on my heels! I think he just feels like he has to be around his momma! (Momma's have that bond with their furbabies!) It is a little frustrating when they are attached like that! He is so new to the home I would think it will get better over time...

Good Luck!

Cindy

:fingerscr

Purpledomino
April 4th, 2007, 12:49 PM
My Minpin is a velcro dog too. ALWAYS with me, on me actually...and she is far from insecure. I think that dogs just want to be with us as much as possible, and as long as they don't suffer from extreme stress such as separation anxiety when alone, they are pretty healthy mentally. If given the choice, most will be velcro dogs and stick with their owner...pretty normal behaviour for a pack animal I think. :pawprint:

Edgewaters
April 4th, 2007, 02:06 PM
I have a velcro cat ...

It's annoying sometimes but admit it ... deep down you know you love it ... ;)

COCO350
April 4th, 2007, 04:16 PM
I have a velcro cat ...

It's annoying sometimes but admit it ... deep down you know you love it ... ;)

Being the affectionate type my self, I could understand his wanting to be close, it's just that sometimes I tripp over him, or when i need to get to one point in the house fairly fast, he walks in front of me and very SLOW...I'm venting here!!, it's no joke, he his really on top of me...We work from home and he is never alone...I will certainly take all your advices!!!

Corinne

Dracko
April 4th, 2007, 05:28 PM
I have a velcro dog and a "most of the time" velcro cat, though the cat does it less now that she's settled in.

When Dracko (my GSD) was small I thought something was wrong with him cuz he followed me everywhere. I talked to some trainers and realized it really is a dog trait and more dogs do it than not.

For me, what I did was work on making sure Dracko knew the command "stay." When I'm only leaving the room for a minute or don't want him to follow me I tell him to stay and now he does (most times). Sometimes it just isn't worth his effort to follow me to simply get a kleenex or something and he doesn't realize it when I get up.