Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sprocket getting fixed tomorrow

Tazette
April 4th, 2007, 10:11 AM
I'm absolutely stressed at the fact that Sprocket goes to the vet tomorrow to get fixed. I remember being quite sick to my stomach when I had to take the family dog in to get fixed, I was a basket case. Well there isn't much difference between 14 years ago and now, I'm still a basket case, although I think I'm handling things a bit better, but I know tomorrow at work I'll be a complete wreck.

Any advice, words of wisdom or things I could do for Sprocket after the fact to make the healing process as comfortable as I can.

:sad: I'm not looking forward to this, but know it has to be done. I would have loved to see what his potential puppies would have looked like, but that would mean bringing more dogs in the world that would have to be adopted out, when there are already so many animals our there.

Thanks.

Dracko
April 4th, 2007, 11:26 AM
I feel the same way when I have to take an animal in. It never gets easier. When I had my last kitten in they offered me the choice of anesthetics. One for slightly more $ was the kind they use on babies. Easier on the system the vet said. Maybe ask about that if they don't offer. Made me feel better leaving knowing he wouldn't be getting such a harsh drug since it is the anesthetic that worries me the most.

hazelrunpack
April 4th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Oh, yeah...the presurgery jitters :eek: We get them all the time for everything from tooth cleaning to spay/neuters to more drastic things like hip replacements and abdominal surgery--they're all equally scary.

We've used the same clinic now for over 20 years so we know they are capable, and trust them. But that still doesn't keep that doubt from tickling the back of your brain, does it? :grouphug:

So, try to focus instead on what you'll be doing for Sprocket after he gets home. First and foremost, you're going to want to keep him quiet for at least a few days. (No dancing, for instance :D) You'll need to have him on leash for trips outside and keep him away from 'boisterous play' opportunities. The quieter you can keep him for the first few days after surgery, the better he'll heal up :thumbs up

If he likes to chew, maybe get him a big rawhide or a chew bone to keep him busy.

Make sure you have a backup plan--if you need to be away and he's finding his incision irresistible, have an elizabethan collar (he'll hate it, but if you can't be there to watch him, it makes a great temporary 'supervisor').

And, of course, the best thing for him after surgery is lots and lots and lots of loving and special time :highfive: Now that I can guarantee he'll love! Just remember--you've got to live with him afterwards, so don't spoil him too much or he'll be insufferable. :D

Good luck to you and Sprocket tomorrow. :fingerscr all goes well. The Pack sends slobbery good wishes, too :dog: We'll be thinking of you!

breeze
April 4th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Good luck for tomorrow :goodvibes: sent your way keep us posted :)

Frenchy
April 4th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Don't worry , it's a simple procedure, everything will be fine :goodvibes:

Prin
April 4th, 2007, 09:52 PM
:grouphug: It'll be ok. :grouphug: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

rainbow
April 4th, 2007, 10:38 PM
I agree....Sprockett will be fine. :grouphug: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

kashtin's kin
April 4th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Good for you for making the decision not to bring more pups into the world. Your fella will be fine...I too hate having to 'sit and wait' while our furfriends have surgery, but I'd rather wait out a neuter than a spay, any day.

Hazelrunpack (and others) said it all; things'll be fine, you can't help fretting, and Sprockett will be tearing around in no time.:D

Purpledomino
April 5th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Having many, many pets (including rabbits) undergo this procedure, rest assured, it is a very routine surgery these days. Honestly, by the sounds of your post, it will probably be harder on you than him! You are going to be surprised at how normal your pup is going to be when you get him, there will probably be no indication of any surgery at all. Just keep him as quiet as you can, but be advised, your guy will probably have other plans. He is going to be feeling pretty good about being home! Don't worry...it will all be good! :thumbs up

Tazette
April 5th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Well, today is the day, I called the vet clinic yesterday to confirm everything and she advised to bring him in between 8 and 9 am, so my husband should be enroute now. I'm at work for the morning and took the afternoon off to pick Sprocket up. I've given my husband a honey-do list for when Sprocket is at the vet, for things like, washing the floors, his crate and washing the covers to his beds. When I get home I'll help out with the rest of the items, I've even written questions to ask the vet about other things like build up on teeth, if he's a good weight, etc...as I know if it was me taking him in, I wouldn't think to ask anything, I'd definitley have to write it down, and I think he'll be pretty stressed when he's there. :sad:

I can't wait until we have Sprocket back later one...what a wimp hey?

hazelrunpack
April 5th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Aw, you're not a wimp, Tazette! You're a concerned mommy! :grouphug: Sprocket will do good :goodvibes:

Frenchy
April 5th, 2007, 11:34 AM
I can't wait until we have Sprocket back later one...what a wimp hey?

I left one of my dogs at the vet this morning too, we are not wimps, just worried about our fuzzbutts. (you should have seen the look he gave me when I left him there :sad: :yell: )

Tazette
April 5th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Frenchy have you heard anything on your dog as of yet? I feel for you, I can't believe how much this has stressed me out. When my husband brought Sprocket in, he wouldn't leave, even when they took him in the back, then he told the vet tech he wanted to bring him back home, but she convinced him not to. She was really good, she saw my husband wasn't happy with leaving Sprocket at all and talked to him for a 1/2 hr about the procedure, after care and answered any questions he had, when he was satisfied, he left. I got a call from my husband an hour ago, the vet tech called to tell him Sprocket did fine, was awake and attempting to bark, she said it was pretty cute. She's going to monitor him the rest of the afternoon and said we could pick him up at 4.

I can't wait!!! :)

rainbow
April 5th, 2007, 02:26 PM
YAY Sprockett....glad to hear everything went fine. :highfive: You can relax a little now. :D

Frenchy
April 5th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Let me guess, it's about 7:20 pm now, so Sprockett is home , I can picture you lying on the floor beside him, petting him :D Sam is still wooozy, but everything went fine :thumbs up (2 teeth pulled out and the others got a nice cleaning)

Tazette
April 5th, 2007, 09:55 PM
I'm glad everything went well for him. When we went to pick Sprocket up there was a smaller dog that got spayed and she was quite hyped up when her owners came to get her, you'd never know she just had surgery. When we picked took Sprocket out of his kennel, he was quite happy and wiggly bummed, we were quite relieved. When he got in the car he seemed happy that his "pup tread" was in there and chewed on it until we got hom. As soon as he came in the house he went right for his food dish and ate what was in there and had a drink, my husband made sure there was some kibble in there for when he got home.

I'm just glad it's over with and we don't have to go through it again.

Thanks for all your support.

:crazy: