Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Price check on bison, please!

One Beagle Girl
April 3rd, 2007, 07:56 PM
Can anyone who feeds bison give me a ball park figure of the cost? I'm pretty much a novice and have no clue about prices. :p

I bought a lb of bison (all muscle meat, no organs, no bones) for $4.90. I'm a first time bison buyer, and curious as to how that compares.

:o

Scott_B
April 4th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Never came across bison personally, so i can't say. Everything I get I try to get for as close to $1 /lb. On average though, Its closer to $1.29/lb. So $4.90/lb is very expensice for me. But like i said, I've never bought it so i cant say if thats normal.

technodoll
April 4th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Bison meat is pretty rare around here, you can only find it in specialty shops and butcher's, prices are so outrageous i've never bought any... $5 per pound seems cheap actually! I need to stay at MAX $1/lbs for my two beasts so they never had bison :rolleyes:

One Beagle Girl
April 4th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the input! When it comes to prices I guess I'm lucky to have a 22 lb beagle. :p

geisha
April 4th, 2007, 03:37 PM
I bought Arusha bison premade paddies 4lbs for $14.00 just to try out. That works out to $3.50/lb. My sammies devoured them. We are lucky in Alberta as there are alot of ranchers who raise bison and sell their products @ the Farmer's Markets.

geisha
April 5th, 2007, 08:38 AM
So I was cleaning out my freezer last night and came across some ground bison meat from the farmer's market. Cost $5.90. But that's for us humans. The market sells organic etc meat. In the grocery store I bought ground bison for approx. $4.50/lb. Hope this helps.