Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog panting and trembling

Suzanne Penny
April 9th, 2004, 03:11 PM
My friend has two standard poodles. The younger dog, Solly, a grey two year old, has fits of trembling and panting with no apparent cause. It's certainly is not related to storms or fear of anything in particular happening at the time. Solly has recurring bouts every couple of months. He doesn't seem to be sick any other way. He is the dominent of the two dogs (sort of, the other dog, Sheba, is about 12 and very patient). We are not sure if this is something physical or emotional, and in either event, don't know what it is or what to do about it.

Can anyone help.:confused:

mona_b
April 9th, 2004, 03:43 PM
What has the vet said about this?

If he hasn't been checked,get him to the vets.

Luba
April 9th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Get your pet to the VET

Suzanne Penny
April 9th, 2004, 10:47 PM
The dog has been taken to the vet who had nothing to say. Didn't know what it was. Didn't know what to do. He gave Solly an "antinflamatory" injection. With or without treatment, the symptoms last about 24 hours and then go away.

Anyout out there who's pet has had similar symptoms?

mona_b
April 10th, 2004, 12:07 AM
Then get it to another vet.

What tests has the vet done on him?If none then find another vet.

And if he had no clue what was wrong,then why put the dog on antinflamatory medication?

Lucky Rescue
April 10th, 2004, 10:37 AM
HOw long do these episodes last? If they are of short duration, I would say it sounds like epilepsy.

Luba
April 10th, 2004, 11:26 AM
I would also consider another vet appt as Mona says

Write down symtoms and take a video if another episode happens before the dog goes to the vet

Like LR says could be neurological but can also be many other things

Blood work should be done

Sometimes we dont understand the terminology vets relay to us, perhaps it was some miscommunication??