Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy Mill Charged and Fined

Luba
April 9th, 2004, 11:25 AM
http://www.ospca.on.ca/libr_pr_2004_Mar19.html

Largest animal cruelty fine in Ontario’s history for puppy mill operator

Newmarket, Ont. (19th March, 2004) –
The largest fine ever for an animal cruelty offence in Ontario was imposed yesterday when Sandra Quinn, now of Burlington, Ontario received a fine of $12,000 after pleading guilty in the Ontario Court of Justice, Norfolk County, to a charge brought under the Ontario SPCA Act.

Quinn was charged in February last year by the Ontario SPCA following the removal of 125 dogs from Cherry Valley Kennels near Waterford, Ontario. She was the first person to be charged under the Act as amended in December 2002 to address offences by breeders of dogs and cats for sale. The amendments set out standards of care that breeders of dogs and cats for sale must adhere to, and enable much stiffer penalties than in the past. In addition to the fine, Quinn also received a ten-year prohibition from breeding and selling dogs and cats.

William Quinn, also charged in this investigation, is scheduled to appear in court in May.

When the dogs were removed on Valentine’s Day last year they were in appalling condition - emaciated, dehydrated, severely matted and encrusted with feces, and had numerous medical problems. Two of the dogs were in such bad condition they had to be euthanized. One dog was found frozen to death and two half-burned carcasses were found in a fire pit.

Care was provided to the dogs – Chows, American Eskimos, Pomeranians, Keeshonds and other small breeds, at several Ontario SPCA Branches and affiliated humane societies, and all except the two that had to be euthanized were adopted into loving new homes.

“This is the first case brought under the amended Ontario SPCA Act to reach a sentence,” said Ontario SPCA Senior Inspector Darren Grandel. “The sentence marks a significant shift in the seriousness with which crimes against animals are viewed in the province, although it is well short of what is allowed in the Act.”

The Ontario SPCA would particularly like to have seen the sentence include a period of probation which would have prohibited owning of pets in addition to breeding and selling, and also given the Society inspection rights to monitor compliance with the ban.

“It is certainly a welcome move in the right direction however,” commented Society Chief Executive Officer, Judy Marshall. “I would like to congratulate everyone who supported our campaign to secure amendments to the Act which better enable us to stamp out puppy mills – especially the nearly quarter of a million people who signed the ‘Honey Needs You’ campaign petition.”

“I also congratulate our provincial politicians, including Julia Munro who introduced the Bill containing the amendments to the provincial parliament. I would strongly urge their federal counterparts to follow suit and pass the animal cruelty amendments to the Criminal Code of Canada that have been stalled in Ottawa for over four years and are now before Parliament again as Bill C-22.”

The Ontario SPCA does not receive any part of the $12,000 fine. The cost of the investigation, removal, treatment, care and rehabilitation of the dogs – in excess of $100,000, has put a great strain on the resources of the Ontario SPCA which is a registered charity relying on donations.

Karin
April 9th, 2004, 01:52 PM
One down, so many more to go. It's a start.

doggy lover
April 9th, 2004, 09:21 PM
I think the SPCA should recieve the fine money they have to find homes for the dogs|cats when these mills are closed down and all the court crap so why not be compensated for it, I guess the government gets it!

Chany
April 10th, 2004, 08:39 AM
As Karin stated 1 down many more to go but its a start.:)
Yes the fine money should go to the SPCA not the damn government. I'd also like to see that change, but how? But I like the fine and restrictions implemented on her, hopefully he gets the same.

amaruq
April 10th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Our big puppy mill was closed and the people went to court. Got a slap on the wrist and back to work they went. Makes me very angry!

chico2
April 10th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Yes Amaruq,that's why Bill C-22 is sooo very important,it should be implemented all over Canada not only Ontario,but our Federal government is getting soo much slack from the Western provinces,worried they would have to treat their animals better,so it keeps getting pushed back,year after year...
But Kudos to our OSPCA for getting convictions,I remember these dogs very well:)

Luba
April 10th, 2004, 05:25 PM
The ones doing the cruely investigations should benefit from the fines, so they can help more.

It is a shame

Chany
April 10th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Chico, can you remember why they're having a hard time with the western provinces? I don't understand we treat our animals just as well as Eastern. Or is it because of livestock issues?

chico2
April 10th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Chany,I am not sure,but I think it has to do with live-stock,hunting,rodeos etc...something like I myself witnessed,the castration of calves without painrelief(just one example).
You are right I am sure it goes on here too,but things are being done to try to improve conditions for our food-animals.
Ralph Klein and his cohorts just dismissed any attempt to curb animal cruelty,as just a "bleeding heart Animal Activist"deal.

Bill & Bob
April 11th, 2004, 04:15 PM
I wouldn't expect any help from Gord Campbell either. He doesn't even care about the people that voted for him, much less their dogs.
A while ago, I went to a Vancouver Parks Board meeting to help a friend advocate for more or more well taken care of dog parks in Vancouver. That's another story, but they talked about animal bylaw compliance rates around Western Canada. Licensing, dogs on leash, pooping and stuff like that. They indicated that Calgary has the highest compliance rates out of anywhere in Canada. Mainly for licensing, which they put right back into programs specifically targetting enforcement. They never mentioned puppy mills specifically, but I wonder if the other information is an indicator of the lack of a problem in that area? Haven't a clue.

People should start writing their MLA's or MP's, and demanding that changes get made. I've found in the past that when they start getting lots of individual letters from different constituents, they start to get worried about factions or patterns forming.

chico2
April 11th, 2004, 04:59 PM
That's right Bill&Bob,just ohing and awing is not getting anything done,Gord Campbell is about as ignorant as Ralph Klein and the care for animals is waaay down on their list.
Things here in Ontario are certainly far from perfect,the case of the tortured and skinned cat was more or less dismissed as a missdemeanor...So,we have a long way to go yet!!
There are petitions on most SPCA web-sites I know there is one on OSPCA's site,all anyone need to do is sign it,or there is an address for you to write your MP.