Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

13 hr road trip, 5 mth old pup, feeding, etc.

crazyforcats
April 2nd, 2007, 11:04 AM
This weekend we'll be taking our 5-month old puppy, Roxy, on a long road trip (about 13 hours from Calgary to Victoria). I've taken her on a few small road trips - about 2 hours long - and so far there's been no problem.

We plan to leave at about 3am so that our children will sleep for the first few hours. Roxy usually has her breakfast at about 6am. Should I still feed her at this time on the road? Do I feed her the regular amount or should it be less?

Do you guys recommend some sort of sedative? She's a Shih-Tzu mix, and a little hyper at times. She is crated-trained, but I'm not sure how long she'll last before she gets spazy. Of course we'll be taking many pee-breaks, but we still plan to do the trip in one day, as we've done so in the past. Mind you, we only had one child and no pets along for the ride back then...

Any other suggestions would be great!

BMDLuver
April 2nd, 2007, 11:21 AM
5 months is too young for any type of sedative. Also, they can have the opposite result in dogs and cats which you don't want to find out on such a long trip. Plan on stopping every 4 hours for a pee break and a stretch. The car will most likely lull her to sleep. Feed very small quantities spread out as small dogs can become dehydrated and hypoglycemic if not fed and watered. Best of luck on the voyage!

BusterBoo
April 2nd, 2007, 11:27 AM
We did a 17 hours road trip (Ottawa to Halifax) with Harley when he was about 1 yr old. It was really amazing.....he slept the whole time, we stopped for pee breaks and to feed him and give water. I don't think he ate or drank much, they do tend to just sleep. The only difference is we didn't have kids in the car, just hubby and me, so it was quiet.

Good luck!

rainbow
April 2nd, 2007, 01:28 PM
I agree. Absolutely no sedatives......feed small amounts and take a few pee/stretch breaks and things should be fine. You'll probably have more trouble trying to keep the kids entertained. :D We once moved from Duncan on Vancouver Island to Cranbrook in southeast B.C. with a 1 1/2 yr. old dog, a four month old puppy and two three month old kittens in a small car and had no problems as they slept most of the way. :)

SARAH
April 2nd, 2007, 01:41 PM
I moved from France to Norway with 2 cats, driving the whole way. The cats were fed in the morning and evening only, but had fresh water during the day. I only sedated them very lightly when taking the ferry as they had to stay on the car-deck for 6 hours and I didn't want them to freak out with the noises and smells down there and no familiar human to comfort them. 3 days, 2 hotels and the ferry, they were fine :)

clm
April 2nd, 2007, 03:11 PM
The most we ever travelled was 5 hours to and from Montreal with our dogs as puppies. Both of them used to get car sick , so just a little food a few hours before we hit the road and lots of pee breaks and water.

Cindy

Cram
April 2nd, 2007, 04:55 PM
When we got Helix at 9 weeks, the breeders drove 3.5 hours to meet us and then we drove 7 hours home with him. We gave him a little bit of kibble and some water, but just not too much so that there was less chance of him getting sick. He did fantasic, and slept most of the way on my lap. We're planning a road trip from Saskatoon to Victoria in July (Helix will be 8 months old) as well. We're using a harness system that attaches to the seat belt connection to keep him from moving around without crating him (I think he would whine a lot if we crated him in the car). We might try buying or making some sort of seat for him so that he can look out the window as well (yes you can buy dog car seats ;)).