Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Doors?

goodgirlcasey
April 8th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Hi all! Well, I'm new to this board so a REAL quick intro.

Got 1 dog...Female Shep X who is just about 5 years old and still acts like a turkey. :D

So...I need to know does anyone have or know where I can buy a Staywell Electronic Pet Door? I've seen all sorts of American companies who offer these doors but have not been able to find a Canadian distributor for this product.

http://allpetsolutions.zoovy.com/product/861

It's seem like a top notch product but I dunno where to get one. I'd rather not order from the US because the duty and taxes etc will end up costing me an arm and a leg.

Anyone know?

TIA

cmt489
April 8th, 2004, 06:20 PM
TIA,

FYI - if you can't find it in Canada and the door is made in the US there is no duty, just GST and PST on the actual item and its shipping costs. However, you must ensure that it has actually been made in the US and not just distributed there (otherwise duty does apply). Hope this helps!

Michelle

goodgirlcasey
April 8th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Really...I wonder how you go about proving to customs that it's a made in america product and is not available here in Canada? I've had friends order product from the US which is made in the US and they've paid a ton of extra on duty.

Nobody has any experience with these doors? :confused:

cmt489
April 12th, 2004, 01:49 PM
The product will be labeled where it is made. If you contact the retailer they should be able to help you.

Donna Marie
April 12th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Have you ever tried ebay?

Bill & Bob
April 12th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Wow, just looked at it and that thing is high tech! Interesting idea. I've never seen a dog door for a dog as big as a shepherd. Not being nosey, but when I first read this I was wondering what purpose the door would serve? I guess you could use it if you have a back door into your fenced yard. That would make sense. Looks pretty cool though. I think my Bob would just play with it all the time like a kid with a garage door opener.

goodgirlcasey
April 12th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Bill & Bob
Wow, just looked at it and that thing is high tech! Interesting idea. I've never seen a dog door for a dog as big as a shepherd. Not being nosey, but when I first read this I was wondering what purpose the door would serve? I guess you could use it if you have a back door into your fenced yard. That would make sense. Looks pretty cool though. I think my Bob would just play with it all the time like a kid with a garage door opener.

Ha ha...Well, if I'm fortunate enough to actually get my hands on one of these doors then I hope Casey won't be to inclined to play with it that way.

N E Way, we're moving to an acreage and because I won't be able to come home at lunch anymore we wanted to allow our dog some freedom to come in and out as she pleases. Otherwise she'll be inside for 8 to 10 hours a day...in my opinion that's too long.

So, with normal doors, pets can go in and out...so can assorted other vermin with the electronic door she will be free to come and go as she pleases but the vermin will have to stay outside. :D

Btw, we want to frame this door into our garage and not to the house. The garage will be heated in winter so our dog will have a nice warm area to come into on those bitter cold days.

Hmmm...Bill and Bob...I see you live in Vancouver...heading to Bellingham in this week by chance? :D Ha ha...just joking!

Iggette
April 13th, 2004, 07:36 AM
wow pretty cool contraption............saved the site to look at later interesting stuff

goodgirlcasey
April 15th, 2004, 11:21 AM
So, as an update to this thread...

I found a local seller of this product but of course they dont have them in stock. It'll take 8 weeks to get here :confused: plus it'll cost me $235 bux. The price is not bad considering the cheapest I could find it for in the US is $175 plus shipping and brokerage, blah blah blah.

On a side note, I emailed a company in Calgary, Pooch.ca and asked them if they carry this product and if so how much. Well, the response was, "sorry, we dont carry that".

Ummm...ok, so you don't want to tell me what you carry and what may be the closest thing you have that you could offer me, eh? So much for making a sale. :rolleyes:

Jeesh!

Bill & Bob
April 15th, 2004, 01:22 PM
That's a great idea if you can't get home from work to let them out for a bit.
Bellingham? Nope. With the Canucks in the playoffs, I'd be surprised if I left my neighbourhood at all. Can't get that far away from my TV. So much hockey...
8 weeks? That sounds kind of funny. Why would any product take 8 weeks to order? I doubt they're custom made or something.
And as for the guy in Calgary, the Canucks are playing them in the playoffs right now so I'd agree right off the bat. The guy was probably a jerk.

Catt31
April 17th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Hhhheeyyyy now Bill.....there's some Flames fans on this site too!!! LOL (At least we don't beat up opposing team fans!!!) ;) Anyways, its all over for the Canucks tonite, so you COULD go to Bellingham!!! LMAO (had to add that dig in!!! Love a good rivalry!) And at least Edmonton isn't in the playoffs for a change!!! The battle of Alberta will have to wait until football season starts!!!! :D

Bill & Bob
April 17th, 2004, 12:01 PM
I hear that Calgary is going nuts right now. Loads of people waiting in the cold to try and grab up tix for the game tonight. That's great. If you think there is nasty rivalry talk on here, you should see some of the stuff going on in the Canucks and Flames message boards.
I really wish that EDM was in the playoffs though. Would have been nice to see all 6 Canadian teams play, and I know they could have used the revenue. I think the Nucks pull in around 2 million for each playoff home game. Smaller market teams like EDM need that cash if there is going to be a lockout next year.

mona_b
April 17th, 2004, 12:04 PM
GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :p

Catt31
April 17th, 2004, 12:10 PM
I can only imagine what the hockey boards are like for trash talk!! LOL I just had to let my fanfare be known!! ;) No nasty rivalry here!!

Your right about Edmonton though...they could use the revenue and it would have looked REALLY good to see all 6 Cdn. teams in the playoffs!!! :D

Calgary fans are going crazy here....standing in line in the cold for hours, fighting in the lineups to get first dibs on tix, parties planned for tonite.... if we win tonight it will be like wayyyyyy back when we won the CUP!! My nephew stood in line for an hour at CO-OP and got a ticket to be in the lineup for getting tix (as crazy as that sounds) and he ended up winning the tix to the game!! He is only 10 and a HUGE hockey fan and an amazing little player too!!! I could see him making it one day in the NHL!! He's pretty stoked about going to the game tonite.....lucky kid!!! I told him he should take his favourite Aunty....but he's taking his mom instead!:( Bummer!!

goodgirlcasey
April 17th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Of course the Flames fans are going nuts right now...it's been 7 years since they made it to the playoffs. As much as I can't stand the flames or stamp (it's that rivalry thing) I'm glad to see their hard work this season is paying off and I hope at least some canadian team takes home the cup this year.

But...

Wait til the labour day Classic Catt31...that's the next big showdown btwn Edmonton and Calgary. ;)

Catt31
April 17th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Actually its been 8 years hasn't it?? It's been too darn long, thats for sure regardless!!! GO FLAMES GO!!! I see Montreal is winning against Boston tonite....:)

Yes...love the labour day classic!!! Got my seasons tix in the mail the other day!! Can't wait!!!!!!!!!

You must be from Edmonton eh?? LOL
Wheeeeeeeeee!!!!!! Let the fun begin!! ;)

Bill & Bob
April 18th, 2004, 05:50 PM
8 years since they made the playoffs. 15 years since they made the second round. No wonder Calgary fans are excited.
However........Catt31, did your nephew manage to stay awake for the whole game? Wow that went late. Triple overtime! Don't know what the Canucks were thinking taking a 4=0 lead, and then letting Calgary get right back into it again. But, the end result speaks for itself. Monday night, they are back at it here in Vancouver. GO CANUCKS!

amaruq
April 18th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Did you hear about Mike Danton? Holy moses he's in deep do do!

woodbyter
April 18th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Jeez you hockey fans are worse than bed bugs-(BIG SMILE)
My office is in Detroit and that is Hockey town, for sure.
I'm not a hockey fan simply because so many of them can't keep from beating each others brains out.
I can love a good legitimate fight but hockey sticks are weapons.
The same people who beat each other with hockey sticks must be the same ones who club seals...
:D

But as Noah said-"Whatever floats the boat"
:D :D :D :D :D :D

amaruq
April 19th, 2004, 07:49 AM
I'm not big on the NHL cause they are a bunch of over priced babies. But i love the junior Clubs......Canada cup.....Oh Oh Oh The Olympics! I also watched the Ladies and of course the Canadians girls kicked butt!!!!!!

NHL has to get some kind of hold on the violence. I mean i like the odd one on one hockey fight but this sticks and blind hits are uncalled for and just spoil the sport. What even makes me madder is how these young fellows hold out for more money. One reason i could not and can't stand Eric Lindros.. Wah Wah Wah i don't want to play for Quebec....wah wah wah I want more money.....He never really did become that great of a player. Still love my Gretsky!

Bill & Bob
April 19th, 2004, 01:19 PM
I will never have any respect for Lindros because of that. I also find it hard to respect a guy who, despite being told by everyone that he should retire at risk of becoming a drooling vegetable continues to play. If he cared about the league, he'd stop, rather than taking the risk. The last thing the league needs is some poster boy for head injuries, after the fact.
What the NHL needs to do comes from both the players and the management. The Alpha players, GMs, and coaches, the real leaders including the captains, coaches, etc. need to take a stand. When someone cheapshots another player, they need to be brought down to earth by their captain. Publicly. And it wouldn't hurt to have a coach bench a player when they do something stupid like intent to injure and don't get caught. What happens now is that the rest of the team rallies around the idiot and circles the wagons. Why not publicly state that it's wrong what they did, and condemn them. The problem is the old code, which no longer applies when you have no respect for each other.
Anyhoo, I still say GO CANUCKS!

cmt489
April 19th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Catt31
Anyways, its all over for the Canucks tonite, so you COULD go to Bellingham!!!

Hmmmmmmmm, seems like it is a good thing that Bill didn't have that Bellingham trip booked....:D Will be glued to my television tonight (Oliver will have to cross his legs until between periods!!!)

Michelle

goodgirlcasey
April 19th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Well, a buddy of mine will be down in Colorado this week so I made arrangements for a US Co. to send it to his hotel and he'll carry it back for me this weekend. Yay!

I'll let you know what the product is like when I get it. :D

Catt31
April 20th, 2004, 10:29 AM
WOW!! What a night!!! I haven't been so tired in a longggggg time!!! Between hockey, a sick fiancee and a sick dog..... I need a day off!!! LOL

I'm sorry Vancouver didn't make it..they really did play an amazing series!!! I'm VERY happy Calgary made it though.....its been a long time coming!!! The city was NUTS last night....honking until wee hours of the morn!! UGHH!!!

Brick gave us quite a scare last night, not really sure what it was, but he was gulping, almost like he had the hiccups, then ate a ton of grass outside. We called the vet and she said to bring him in and let him puke, to see if that helps. He never ended up puking but he farted something fierce....nasty cow grass type fart!! He seems 100% better this morning! He still has his vet appt. for next Mon. so will still get him to check him over!!! Phewww!!

Congrats on getting the dog door casey!! Let us know how it works!!! :)

goodgirlcasey
April 20th, 2004, 12:04 PM
as much as I despise the Flames, I have to say congrats to the Flames and Flames fans for advancing to round 2. They worked real hard to get where they are this year and I'll support em in their run for the cup.

Casey had bad gas about a year or two ago which actually put her in the vet for observation for the day. SHe would walk around licking the floor, she ate our aloe vera plants, ate any kind of grass or whatever she could find. She whined all night and kept us up all night too.

When she got xrays it was found she had gas...large amounts of gas in her intestines and tummy. I bet if she coulda farted that she would have been fine. :)

Bill & Bob
April 20th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Yup, glad you are getting your door Casey. Weird how this thread turned into a hockey forum.

My buddies dog eats grass every now and again. As soon as she stops, she throws up and is very happy with herself. Some dogs eat it to clear their stomach out. Others, like Bob, just graze and graze and don't throw up at all. Not sure why some do, some don't.

Bob was lying on my bed the other day. All of a sudden he takes a few short breaths, strains a bit and lets out on operetic honk that had me laughing and laughing. He seemed quite pleased with himself too. What a little weiner. Yeesh, what a smell. No more on the bed for Bob that day.

Anyhoo, back to hockey. Calgary outworked Vancouver for most of the series and in the end deserved the win. Iginla is certainly the first star of the entire series. Kipprisoff (spelling?) made incredible saves, but Vancouver never had anyone in front of him screening. Lots and lots of easy saves. Why take the shot from 30 feet out if he has a clear view of it? He's not going to miss those. Vancouver didn't end up clearing space in front of our net either. The Calgary fans deserve the win, and I have to congratulate them on their first second round appearance in 15 years. I hope they destroy the Detroilet Red Things. I also hope they get rid of that stupid hardhat idea. This isn't pee wee.

Now, after all that I must return to my roots. Go Make Beliefs! We need to win hockey pools!

goodgirlcasey
April 26th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Well....I got the door and many thanks to my buddy who picked it up in Colorado for me. He actually had to check it as a piece of luggage for his flight back to Edmonton...haha!

Anyhow, here are my impressions....

:mad:

When I first opened the box everything was cool and in order. Of course I read the instructions before doing anything else (ha ha...ya right!) and couldn't figure out how the heck to get the security cover off the main door. I got that figured out after 10 minutes.

Then, you need to install some sort of knobby doohingus in order to lock/unlock the door or to set it to one of the four desired positions (in only, in/ou, out only or locked). The knobby dood dads were easy enough but trying to figure out which way to turn em so they were in sync....10 minutes.

Now...I need to install batteries. Well, take off the cover and install the 4 AA batteries...easy enough right? Nope! The little metal jiggy thing kept popping out while trying to put the batteries in. I had to call my wife over to help install the batteries...10 minutes.

Next step, put the battery in the infrared collar tag that doggy has to wear in order to lock/unlock the door. My wife did this part...1 minute (included opening package and installing battery).

Almost done! Time to configure the electronic part of this door by placing the infrared key collar near the door so it'll learn what to do. Simple enough. Nope...tried and tried and tried. I never did what instructions said it would do....10 minutes.

By this time I'm ready to send the dog door accross the room! :mad: I paid 300 Bucks for this thing and it hasn't worked yet!

Next logical step...replace the AA bateries (but it was so dang hard to get em in!!)...another 10 minutes.

Try to program the door again. No luck....5 minutes.

Try replacing battery in key collar...30 seconds (wife did this part again)

Now, try programming the door...success!!!!! THe battery in the collar was junk :mad: 5 minutes.

Now for the big test...try to get dog to go through the door. 15 minutes (lets not go there)

Total time spent on a plastic door...1 hour 16 minutes and 30 seconds.

All in all, I guess she'll use it when it's finally installed and she has no choice...if she's gotta pee then she's gotta use the door.

Bill & Bob
April 26th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Nice job getting it going finally. I can just imagine that it would be annoying to get the damn thing working from the sounds of it. I would think the dog would take some time getting used to a door that opens especially for them. I get caught off guard sometimes when I go to the supermarket and the doors open automatically for me. Can't imagine what a dog must think. Is there any concern about the batteries running out? There must be. I would think so. Does the book or instructions tell you anything about how long the batteries are good for? 4AA's moving something like a small door must be quite a drain. I guess it depends on how heavy the little door is.

goodgirlcasey
April 27th, 2004, 12:07 AM
Well, the door doesn't actually open by itself. It locks/unlocks by itself so when she gets close with the collar, the infrared signal releases two bolts that allow the door to swing open. It swings open by dog power so the dog is in complete control of opening the door with her nose.

Bill & Bob
April 27th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Oh, ok. I had envisioned an "open sesame" drawbridge kind of contraption, but what you said makes much more sense. Hope it works out for you.

cattcanada
March 12th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Please let me know if you are happy with this door. I have been trying to find one in Canada and seem to be having the same luck you had. Anyone with info on this I would appreciate hearing. My prob. is I have a cat that I don't want out, and a dog that is 13 year old and has always had the convenience of a dog door. This product would solve my problem if I could find one in Canada.

Prin
March 12th, 2006, 01:57 PM
I don't think you'll get an answer from the original poster (she hasn't been back since 2004).