Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

up for adoption

jorja&sylvester
April 8th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Hi everyone

I had to give up my 2 cats for adoption yesterday. I have been a cat lover forever and have never lived without one. My husband has come down with a very serious allergy and I had no choice. I am very upset and I can not eat or sleep. One was 2 yrs and the other was 1 yr. I had three but my sister took my ten year old. Does anyone know how they are going to adjust. I gave them to our humaine society and i know they will get a good home from there but it could take two weeks to two months. I can not help but worry as they are not aware of what is going on. I just want to knjow that they will be o.k. I am also 7months pregnant and I am trying to stay calm. Will they be o.k?
Thank you for any advice or knowledge you may have.

Laurie

jorja&sylvester
April 8th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Just a continuation to my post.

Both of these cats love people and are very good cats. They love attention and other cats.

C J Modisette
April 8th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Did you take them to a shelter for adoption? I don't work in a shelter, but from what I have seen they are usually over crowded and low on funds.

I know how difficult it is to have to leave a pet for any reason. When I was in the USNavy and stationed on Guam I acumulated more cats than I could bring back mainside when it was time to transfer. The Petty Officer's Association I was a member of raised funds to support a shelter that did not practice euthanasia unless medically necessary. I took the cats and their medical records to this shelter and left them enough money to support the cats for at least a year. Since they were relatively young and were healthy I'm sure that they were adopted.

Your cats would probably have a better chance of adoption if you provided enough money to wherever you placed them for long-term support.

jorja&sylvester
April 8th, 2004, 02:22 PM
I phoned the OSPCA prior to bringing them in. Thay informed me that they had a high adoption rate. They also do not put the cats to sleep. Thay are not put in cages but are put into rooms. They both had all there shots and were spayed and nuetered prior to me bringing them in so I was told they would be up for adoptin sooner. Both cats are beautiful healthy cats and if I could have kept them I would have. Anyone who sees these cats will fall in love with them. I am hoping that they are o.k threw the transition. I paided when I dropped them off but I have also donated to they OSPCA for the last five years and will continue to do so.

Lucky Rescue
April 8th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Sadly, humane societies are PACKED with beautiful, healthy and adorable cats and kittens who anyone would love, but no one does.:(

Yours are just two more of those cats. I hope yours will be 2 of the very very lucky ones and I hope they aren't too stressed and terrified.

jorja&sylvester
April 8th, 2004, 10:52 PM
I must say when I came to this board it was not to feel worse. I cared deeply about my cats but I had no choice to give them up. I have had cats for many years and ALWAYS took care of them, fixed them, brought them to the vet when they were sick. As to your comments about them being terrified, I spoke to the humain society where I brought them and they were a little nervous but doing well. For you to jump to the assumtion I do not care you are wrong. If I did not care I would not be here. As for not getting a home my local OSPCA has a 2 week to a month adoption rate. Also my cats are together and have eachother for comfort. I hope you feel good making people feel like crap. And you wonder why people abandon there animals. I could not put my husband in a shelter now could I. When it is effecting his breathing so bad he ends up in the hospital, now you tell What am I supposed to do?

mona_b
April 8th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Whoa there.

I know your pregnant and the hormones are out of whack.
(been there,done it,have a 17 year old to prove it)

BUT.....

No one said you didn't take care or love your cats..Name who did?

You came on here asking if they would be ok.And LR stated the facts.

No one is trying to make you feel bad or worse.You are getting yourself upset for nothing.No one said ANYTHING wrong.Just stated the facts and the truth.If the truth hurts,then I'm sorry.

You asked a question and got answers.Unfortunately answers you didn't like.

When I was pregnant,I had a cat.Everytime my neice or any of the kids screamed,she attacked them.And I don't mean playfully.She hurt them.I knew that I could not keep her for the fear of her hurting my baby.And here I was worried on how my German Shepherd would take to a new baby.I ended up giving Sassy to a very good friend of mine who didn't have kids in the family.It broke my heart to give her up.And I wasn't going to lock her up.So I am just wondering why you didn't find a home for them instead of taking them to the Humane Society.

jorja&sylvester
April 9th, 2004, 07:00 AM
Sorry, I thought in your e-mail that is what you were implying.
My sister tokk my older cat but already had two of her own and only lives in a small house. My husband works in the film industry and is off for a couple of months and is home 24/7 and we did not have alot of time since his symtoms were getting increasingly worse. When I phoned the OSPCA they told me they had a good adoption rate and had room for them. I know they have a very good sceaning process and that anyone who goes there really loves animals. You are right my hormones are probably out of wack and I have been crying since I dropped them off. I am worried if they are scared or if thay know what is going on and it is not easy. If I good of given them to someone I knew I would have. Also the cats are not kept in cages but rooms with big windows both inside and to outside, and these rooms are not packed only 2to3 per room which is approx. 6feet by 7 feet with tays and climbers and beds.

Luba
April 9th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Sadly many of us in rescue hear this situation all too often. Sometimes it is fact and sometimes it is fiction.

What bothers me is that people do not take enough initiative to find homes for their 'loving' pets themselves. Rather they surrender them to the city shelter, humane society or spca.

Regardless of what anyone told you, the fact of the matter is they DO euthanize cats and dogs, even happy, healthy young ones. Why? Room, space.... and litters that come in, over crowding, sickness and people that realize it wasn't such a good gift for Christmas after all!

It's not too late to try to help rehome them, contact the spca you took them to and ask them to advise you when they are adopted, and let them know you are advertising the cats yourself.

Not sure why you didnt' board them with your vet until you could find them a home.

Your husband suddenly developed an allergy to them sounds a little strange to me. Was he tested for allergic responses to pet dander?

Normally this is NOT a allergy that develops overnight. Commonly, it could be a flea powder, spray or even shampoo that your hubby may be allergic to.

How was it narrowed down to the cats specifically? Had he ever had pet allergy before?

chico2
April 9th, 2004, 08:39 AM
I can understand how you feel,but did this allergy just happen?You must have had the cats for a while?
I think Luckys response was because of her knowledge about shelters and their horrific kill-rate,not all shelters are created equal:(
Also"allergy in the family"is one of the most common excuses for dumping animals in a shelter when people cannot be bothered anymore.
Nobody is trying to make you feel worse,if I ever would have to give up my cats,no,I can't even imagine:(
I would probably put my husband in one first(just kidding!!)
Of course they are now frightened and probably wondering when they can go back home,unfortunately we cannot explain to them what is happening,but at least they have each other and they are not in cages.
The problem is,at least here,when you sign over your cats,you also have to agree to the shelter putting them down if necessary,if they are not adopted out within a certain time.
Where I live they have a no-kill policy,but it's not a 100%sure(I've found out lately)if they have an overpopulation of cats.
I am assuming you keep close contact with the shelter and keep trying to find a good home for them yourself.
I am glad you found someone for the older cat he/she would have been so much harder to re-home.
OOps,Luba is a quicker printer than me,basically we are saying the same thing
:) :)

jorja&sylvester
April 9th, 2004, 09:20 AM
The allergy did not happen overnight. My husband has been having symtoms for a little while. He works in the film industry and works 18 to 20 hour days and stays at work if he is to tired to drive. He has finished his series and since he has been home it was getting worse. He went through a series of tests prior to finding out it was the cats. Alergies , as I have learned can have a 7 year cycle and can start out of the blue. I loved my animals very much and I spoke to my vet prior to bringing them to the ospca

Lucky Rescue
April 9th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Nowhere did I say that you did not love your cats or take care of them, or did I even hint at it. I'm sure you do! I am merely stating facts.

I'm really glad your HS has a high adoption rate and I do hope your cats get wonderful permanent homes!

Right now we have two gorgeous purebred Siamese AND Himalayan cats for adoption and we just had a Persian, so I'm only informing you that beautiful, loving cats - even purebreds - are available in huge numbers and that not all of them (or even most of them) will get homes any time soon.

Of course, we have also found homes for regular tabbies, older cats and even feral cats - sometimes it just takes a lot of work to find the right person. It would have been best to rehome the cats yourself. Is there no one who could keep them while you do so?

Please let us know if they do get homes.

Luba
April 9th, 2004, 10:23 AM
pls look here:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=16575#post16575

LavenderRott
April 9th, 2004, 11:20 AM
I think you guys are being a little rough on this woman. After reading her posts, I am sure if there was a way around getting rid of her cats, she would have gladly done it. She may not have gone the route you would have gone but she is trying to do the right thing. She didn't put her cats in a box, tape it shut and leave outside the HS for them to find in the morning. She didn't dump them on a deserted country road.

I can get pretty hostile, but I try to reserve it for people who don't care about their pets and need to be smacked upside the head with a cast iron skillet. This poor pregnant woman is not one of those. It is not her fault that her husband is allergic and currently unemployed.

Catt31
April 9th, 2004, 12:07 PM
I think I best keep my mouth closed on this one!!:rolleyes: