Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat moving kittens

tlpgirl
April 1st, 2007, 08:47 AM
This is my cats first litter. There are 4. They all seem healthy. My question is why does she keep moving one to feed then leaving it there. Its never the same kitten. They are only 9 days old.

badger
April 1st, 2007, 09:38 AM
Make sure she is in a confined space, a room, so that if she moves them, it won't be far. She needs a peaceful environment - with occasional visits from you. If you have other cats, they should be definitely be kept away, no sneak peeks. She needs lots of good food and fresh water as well. Don't interfere with the kittens too much. As long as she's feeding and cleaning them regularly, things should be fine.

Your cat will be fertile again very quickly, please don't let any intact males near her. And please get her spayed as soon as the kittens are weaned!!!!

kashtin's kin
April 3rd, 2007, 11:52 PM
Lots of good info from Badger...and PLEASE get your cat spayed. There are WAY to many unwanted cat/kittens everywhere already. Good luck.

pettingzoo
April 4th, 2007, 01:22 PM
I have a pregnant cat and this is her first litter. I keep getting different answers on what is normal and what is not during labor. She starting contraction late last night (tues.) and would just stop having them and just begin walking around and finding different places in her nesting room to lay. Then have a few more contractions. However, she isn't not bearing down to push them out, yet. It is now Wed. afternoon and still no kittens. Did you experience anything like this. I was told by two different vets two differnt answers. One stating it was normal and it could go on for a few days before kittens and another telling me she had two hours of contractions and there should be a kitten if not to bring her in. She doesn't look like anything is wrong just tired. Any advice from experience?

glitterless
April 4th, 2007, 11:34 PM
First off, I'm not a vet. So I'm only speaking from experience, not training.

Once she starts pushing the kittens should be out within an hour. Even then, if one was in a bad position I'm sure that a lot of damage could occur within the hour. Maybe that's what your vet meant when they said 2 hours.

Otherwise I think that it's completely normal for her to have contractions. How close are they? Can you time them? Are you sure that she's having contractions or is she just uncomfortable from the kittens moving around? If her contractions are getting much closer or if she starts pushing and nothing is really happening, call the vet.

muskokapuss
April 6th, 2007, 02:25 PM
This is my cats first litter. There are 4. They all seem healthy. My question is why does she keep moving one to feed then leaving it there. Its never the same kitten. They are only 9 days old.

I can tell you exactly why she is moving them!!!! She feel's that they are not safe in the space that they have, make sure that your poor Momma kitten has a closed in space, closet, room etc...that she feel's comfy with, she will continue moving them till she is satisfied that they are safe, try to make sure that there are not too many people/kids (especially kids)/ or other animal's around her and her brood, cause if she feels' the least bit threatened, she will CONSTANTLY move them, until she has a 'SAFE' place to keep them all together, just know that a Momma cat is like any other Mom, she will keep her "babies" in any place that she deems safe, and if she doesn't think that it's safe for all, then she will continue to move them till she feels safe......

I would seriously let her find a place that she feels comfortable in and can take care of all of her kitties in, that will be much less stressful to you and to her....

best wishes,

pusscat