Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sugarray (Schnauzer) Severe Allergies

Beth Lundin
March 31st, 2007, 01:37 PM
I have a miniature schnauzer that is 7 years old. He has severe allergies. He will break out on stomach & inside legs with sores. The only thing I can do is give him antibiotics. I am also giving him Benadryl. I give him 1/2 pill in morning & night everyday to stop him from licking. Is it alright to give the dog Benadryl everyday even though he is not broken out?

My poor doggie is miserable!

Would appreciate any advice that you have.

Beth

mafiaprincess
March 31st, 2007, 01:53 PM
Do you know if it's environmental or food allergies?

mummummum
March 31st, 2007, 02:46 PM
The short answer is no-maybe. I agree with MP ~ more information please.

What is he eating and getting for treats?
What are the antibiotics and the regimen ?
Have you changed any of your household cleaning products ?
Shampoos/ conditioners and the laundry detergent you use on his bedding ?

kiara
April 1st, 2007, 11:04 AM
Since you don't really know what your dog is allergic to, (and it could be several things) you should find a veterinary dermatologist. And your dog should have allergy tests. And therefore this ingredient (or product) should be avoided. Are you giving him mediction under vet's care? I would be cautious in administering any medication without knowing what doses to give. You may be doing more harm that good. I hope this helps.

Ailie
April 1st, 2007, 09:28 PM
Sorry to hear about your Schnauzer's problem and agree you should deferentiate between food/airborne/skin allergies/etc. We had an Airedale with allergies, also of terrier family, & had to rule out food first. No dog food allowed and made him lamb & rice or venison & mashed potatoes (No wheat gluten in that, for sure) Anyway, food was ruled out so we had to take him to MSU small animal hospital and after testing positive for dust (oh no), mildew, molds, etc we had to give him an injection once a month. He finally outgrew most of the problem and we could stop the injections. We tried Benedryl in the beginning but it didn't touch the symptoms really. Hope this helps and hope your Schnauzer will outgrow his problem too!