Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Becoming a Foster home

lt_danish
March 31st, 2007, 01:18 PM
I am wanting to become a foster home for dogs in the future. I want my own dog to be older first. To anyone else that fosters dogs... what kind of requirements must be met? I don't mind the added costs for food, vet, dog training etc. We don't have a yard, but spend lots of time outside with our dog in areas close by. I know I couldn't adopt a dog from the spca because I don't have a fenced in yard, but what about other independent rescues? Do most prefer dogs to go to larger homes with lots of open yard space?

Frenchy
April 1st, 2007, 01:44 AM
Do most prefer dogs to go to larger homes with lots of open yard space?

Yes , but I know fosters who live in appartements. Rescues are always looking for foster families. The important thing is to be dedicated. If you take good care of your dog , and would do the same for a foster dog, I don't see why you shouldn't foster. And for the expenses, it depends on the rescues. Usually you pay for food and toys, rescue will pay for vet care.

Kyra
April 5th, 2007, 10:46 PM
If you aren't ready to foster yet, you can start getting prepared by looking for sales on dog toys, bedding, etc for when you are ready.

You can help now by: donating bleach, food, treats or other supplies to a local rescue. Garage sales and estate sales are also great places to look for unwanted pet supplies that may be used.

I don't know what the laws are in your area, but you can also look on the roadside on garbage day. I usually will go to the door and ask if I can take the item and tell them what it is for. No one has said no yet.

Good luck and welcome to fostering!

Jeniese
April 6th, 2007, 12:52 PM
I do fostering for a rescue . Fostering can be full of suprises and rewarding!.The most difficult thing for me is being able to let go of the dog, sometimes the stay for awhile a you get attached to them, that makes it hard! Most of the time the dogs/cats come from a not so positive enviroment, so you watch the dog/cat grow from a terrified animal into a WOW this is what life is suppose to be like!It's amazing to watch them go through this transition.

A good rescue group always supplies the food and all vet care needed. Most of the time dogs are vaccinated /dewormed before even being placed into a foster home.
You provide the love, and your time at the adoption clinics,training ect... But it's all worth it in the end.

If you not sure if you are ready to foster, there are many ways to help out like someone said in a another post. There are rescues such as animatch and the SPCA Monteregie that are always looking to help out with fundraising, cleaning at the shelter, dog walking ,transporting and just going in and spending some time with animals that need some love.

Furbaby Momma
April 9th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Any way that anyone can help animals in need is wonderful, if you are wanting to help contact your local Humane Society, SPCA, different Rescue Groups and find out what they need. They will be so happy to hear from you, and the animals will be forever grateful. :cloud9:

coppperbelle
April 9th, 2007, 08:02 PM
I don't think there is anything more rewarding than watching a neglected or abused dog begin to trust and have fun again.
People always ask me how I care for a dog for so long and then let him go. I honestly never thought I could do it but I have many times. Sometimes it is easier to see a dog go but there are other times when it is not. All have left paw prints on my heart.

Furbaby Momma
April 9th, 2007, 08:17 PM
We are thier bridge....from hell the animals have come from....to us the bridge that teaches them love, trust and true loyalty....from us "the bridge" we carry them over to the wonderful forever loving home they should of had in the first place.

The rewards are many, it feels good having animal prints all over our hearts. :cloud9:

Frenchy
April 9th, 2007, 08:23 PM
it feels good having animal prints all over our hearts. :cloud9:

oooohhhh yes it does ! :highfive: