Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Looking for an American Eskimo Dog

lomaggie
March 31st, 2007, 12:18 AM
Hi everyone,

I am looking for an American Eskimo Dog in BC, Canada. Also i have found 2 breeders.

1) Paula's Polar Pups
http://www.geocities.com/polar_pups/
2) Ice White Kennel
http://icewhitekennel.tripod.com/

Does anyone know which breeder is better and can you give me some advice. Thank you so much.

TeriM
March 31st, 2007, 12:35 AM
Based just on the websites I would suggest that Paula's would be the more reputable breeder. She shows the dogs, breeds only when there is a demand for a litter, and provides useful information to consider about the breed and about just getting a dog.

You really need to avoid "back-yard breeders" who basically are in it for the money.

Just a warning. This breed of dog is a very high maintenace and difficult breed, are you familiar with it? have you got experience with dogs? If not I would suggest you consider another breed or better yet adopt one of the many loving dogs available on petfinder.

clm
March 31st, 2007, 06:24 AM
American Eskimo's, Keeshonds, Poms, Samoyeds, all difficult breeds. Don't be looking for a typical dog who loves to fetch and play ball and do your bidding with blind devotion. Spitz types are usually very stubborn and love to be with you, but they are quite independent thinkers. They hate the summer heat and love going for walks and playing outside in the dead of winter.

Read up all you can on the breed first and then decide if you think they'll fit in to your idea of what a dog should be and what your family expects of a dog.

There are loads of Eskie rescue groups out there too, all you need to do is google American Eskimo rescue or go to petfinder.org.

Cindy

muckypup
March 31st, 2007, 08:07 AM
There always seems to be many in the pounds, I'd check there first. ;)

SnowDancer
March 31st, 2007, 10:35 AM
My male (girly-guy!) American Eskimo will be turning 3 tomorrow - April Fool's Day - how appropriate for me - Eskies mature "late" - but the joke will be on me - he will be a puppy if he lives to be 17. I strongly suggest, if you haven't already, that you lurk about www.eskie.net - it is a specific Eskie board and do a search in the many categories available. Actually you might even post your question on the site - there are a few Cdn. members - and actually I think there are more Cdn. Eskimos in the West - although they are now becoming more common in the east (I live in Toronto) - especially since the huge raid on a puppy mill north of the city. The American Eskimo is really a one family dog - and they don't love everyone - but if they do love you, watch out for the Eskie hugs - claws and jaws of death! They are also "alert" dogs - as in alert Mommy to anything that might be a danger to their precious bodies. My guy is 22 lbs., so a small standard. I would try to get a dog that weights in at least 15 lbs. - most likely better health - there is so much mucking about these days turning regular size dogs into teacups. Health wise my guy has been excellent - just make sure dog does not have blue eyes. Certainly check out the rescues as well. By the way, Eskimos have separation anxiety.

SnowDancer
March 31st, 2007, 10:38 AM
I just took a quick look at the sites - I will only say that I wouldn't get a Toy.

lomaggie
March 31st, 2007, 02:22 PM
Thank you very much for all of you gave me some useful opinions. I will keep searching this breed.

mummummum
March 31st, 2007, 02:55 PM
Thanks lomaggie for your comment that you will "continue to search the breed" ~ so many folks are attracted to "a look " or think that X breed suits their dream of completing their family. And they get "THE dog" that they want ~ and it all turns out so wrong. Golden lesson ? Research, research, research.