Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Marking outside - is that OK?

Oscar_is_good
March 30th, 2007, 06:04 PM
We just adopted a dog on Monday, and he was neutered that same day. We find that he marks A LOT when we are out walking (never in the house, thank god!). Is this OK? What really concerns me is that he purposely controls how much he eliminates on the first pee so that he'll have some left for later. So when we take him out only to pee and not walk, we have to walk around a few minutes anyway to make sure he's fully emptied his bladder.

We don't have any grass in our yard yet, so it's one giant mud pit, and so have been taking him to the park across the street for the bathroom instead of just putting him outside in the yard. So maybe he thinks everytime is a walk? I'm just not sure if I should be trying to stop this behaviour?

SuperWanda
March 30th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Hi - I have two dogs and what you are describing sounds normal to me. When we are out walking they mark the other scents they smell on the trail which can sometimes be quite numerous. They do control the amount so that they have enough to last the entire walk - squeezing out the last drops at the end if it's a long outting :)

When one dog goes the other is right behind with her own sprinkle.

As far as I know this is very normal behavior and just something they do to leave their signature.

TeriM
March 31st, 2007, 01:01 AM
Yep, sounds like normal behavoir to me.

coppperbelle
March 31st, 2007, 07:42 AM
It depends on how you are walking. If you are walking your dogs in a heeling position they should not be marking their territory as they walk. If you are walking your dog in a wooded area and they are running freely or on a long leash then it is up to you. Personally I do not allow it.

SuperWanda
March 31st, 2007, 10:57 AM
Hi copperbelle - I was just curious to know why you don't allow the marking? Is it because you are in a heeling/training behavior on those on leash walks and so you want them to be concentrating on that and not the marking? Thanks!

Prin
March 31st, 2007, 11:44 AM
I don't allow it when we're brisk walking, but if we're just wandering and they have their 2m of leash, I don't mind. As long as Boo is done by the time the leash gets taut, I'm ok.:D

mafiaprincess
March 31st, 2007, 01:49 PM
If we are talking a walk, and I want a heel or close to it, you aren't on the grass to mark...
If I let her off leash.. She can freely mark if she wishes.

LL1
March 31st, 2007, 02:16 PM
I don't think it is a problem,I let mine go whenever they want on walks.

coppperbelle
March 31st, 2007, 03:37 PM
In a heeling position the dog should be paying attention to you and not laying his claim. :)
On a personal note when I am out with my dogs walking and they are off leash I don't want them peeing on everything so I discourage it. If they have to go pee then of course I say nothing but I don't want them peeing on every tree or plant we pass.

Spirit
March 31st, 2007, 04:57 PM
It really depends on what you're okay with.

It depends on how you are walking. If you are walking your dogs in a heeling position they should not be marking their territory as they walk. If you are walking your dog in a wooded area and they are running freely or on a long leash then it is up to you. Personally I do not allow it.

I'm with Copperbelle on this one. There are two main reasons why you shouldn't encourage marking. 1: Dogs who mark a lot are often dominant by nature, or are trying to be. Putting a stop to marking can often help stop other behavioral problems by enforcing your "dominance" (and I use that word loosely) over him in your pack (you're basically reinforcing your pack status by telling your dog that this bush doesn't belong to him. Neither does that shrub. Or that flower... or post, or wall, or plant... or...). 2: Claiming territory in areas where many dogs travel, can sometimes lead to conflict. Especially if two dominant dogs decide to challenge each other for the same spot (I've seen it happen). Remember, marking (placing their scent) is a way of saying "This is mine".

My dog pees like a girl, and to be honest, I'd rather keep it that way. :shrug:

SuperWanda
April 1st, 2007, 07:20 PM
Ok - thanks!

I guess I've never really had a problem so I never really thought about it in that way.

I have two dogs and I often walk them off leash at the off leash parks here where numerous dogs are marking everything all over the place and I've never had a problem with aggression or any negative behavior - and these are certainly areas where a lot of dogs travel.

I have witnessed the odd conflict with other dogs but it never seemed too serious - but maybe that's why it happens - a territorial issue?

My two are also female so maybe it's more of a problem with males?

Spirit
April 2nd, 2007, 01:29 AM
I have witnessed the odd conflict with other dogs but it never seemed too serious - but maybe that's why it happens - a territorial issue?

It's possible. I can't really say one way or another is marking is something to worry about, but for my dog (in my experience), it's something I just don't want him to do. Period.

I think a bit part of it depends on the dog. I've had dogs come into my work and lift their leg on a bag of food (or something else), to which the owner says something along the lines of "Oh no! I am so sorry! He never does that at home...". Of course the next words out of my mouth are "Oh, it's okay! A lot of dogs come through here, and of course mine works here so he's here all day long. Your dog is just marking his territory. That'll be $62, please."

Not a good situation if you ask me. lol

mafiaprincess
April 2nd, 2007, 01:36 AM
I have a female. She marks. A lot on walks. Not really right now because we are focusing on heel. She gets an opportunity to pee, and later to poop.. but then she's on the sidewalk and we are working..

Since we won't be focusing on heel forever, any suggestions on how to limit marking? She goes when there's nothing left. Never marked, gained more confidence, and now it's endless...